State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

If Abhisit opens fire on civilians, he's gone. He's gone anyways, just faster that way.

Funny. From your pic, your wife does not look like an Isaan person.

Funny, but from what you probably thought was a joke, you actually threw a shaft of light onto the root cause of the present troubles, namely the total racism of the hi-so BKK elite who were PAD's financiers. Read carefully through the pages of TV, and a consistent theme is the degradation of any Northern or Isaan Thai, deemed uneducated, ignorant, stupid, not fit to vote, etc., etc.

Probably why I detest PAD and everything they stand for.

Could not agree more... It's sad really. It's also sad that farangs would be apart of this rasism towards area's of Thailand.

Having said that the REDS are as wrong as can be as well... Both sides need to learn that their actions today will have nasty consequences in the future.

Does this mean that the idiots throwing water from their trucks are not out this year?

See--some good

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is downright pathetic. I have made no bones about my support of Mr. Thaksin's former government, but this current violence is indefensible. It is not as if the current government was targeting redshirts. To pull Niphon Promphan, secretary of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, out of his car after and savagely beating him is inexcusable. It is going to explode now.

Thaksin and his successors won 4 consecutives elections and they will win any election
I don't think Thaksin can win an election at this point. Even if his party obtained more MP seats than any other party, they haven't demonstrated that they can form a ruling coalition, which would be necessary in order for Thaksin to become PM.

come on,man.

The judges have been used (ordered) to destroy and delegitimate all Thaksin'related parties...

It is ridicolous the excuse they used to sack Samak (a cokking show in TV) when the elite here systematically steal BILLIONS of baht , order killings and so on....

Well I think Thaksin will now have a perfectly legitimate charge of treason before him by weeks end and I can't see how anyone would argue with that. He's made his bed....

Does anyone here feel that part of the plan is to destroy the economy further? If so, and Taksin thought he could return, he could return as a percieved saviour; spreading his wealth that is currently frozen..... he could really cement his popularity then......

worthy of thought?

Thaksin and his successors won 4 consecutives elections and they will win any election
I don't think Thaksin can win an election at this point. Even if his party obtained more MP seats than any other party, they haven't demonstrated that they can form a ruling coalition, which would be necessary in order for Thaksin to become PM.

come on,man.

The judges have been used (ordered) to destroy and delegitimate all Thaksin'related parties...

It is ridicolous the excuse they used to sack Samak (a cokking show in TV) when the elite here systematically steal BILLIONS of baht , order killings and so on....

Well I think Thaksin will now have a perfectly legitimate charge of treason before him by weeks end and I can't see how anyone would argue with that. He's made his bed....

But that will be also a perfect excuse to get refugee status. I can almost hear him speaking about Nelson Mandela, Ghandi and the Dalai Lama and the violent crackdown on unarmed peaceful democracy protesters....

come on,man.

That's for sure. And that hold for the army leaders in the 2006 coup and the PAD leaders from last years demonstrations. But at this point I don't think throwing ppl into jail is the right way forward.

Protesters drive truck with gas cylinders into compound of Din Daeng flats

Residents of Din Daeng flats were terrified when protesters drove a truck fuelled by NGV gas into the compound.

The truck uses several NGV cylinders and the protesters shouted that the flat residents should leave immediately, prompting speculation that the protesters would explode the gas tanks.

The Nation

Does anyone here feel that part of the plan is to destroy the economy further? If so, and Taksin thought he could return, he could return as a percieved saviour; spreading his wealth that is currently frozen..... he could really cement his popularity then......

worthy of thought?

I'd say it's more about timing his strike to coincide with unemployment/inflation/Songkran/ASEAN /gathering political disaffection and uncertainties about continuation of the longevity of certain revered institutions to come back and start refuelling his depleted baht/dollar supply. Oh and pick up a destabilised nation on the cheap. Much as the military and young turks did in 1932 but for less noble ideals.

But I could be wrong about the man :o

"He who meddles in the affairs of kings, will ne'er put things back in the way in which he found them"

Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford

Edited by seri thai

That's easy. After the courts did their work, there weren't new elections to replace the outed MPs. This is why the government is illigitimate, and why Abhisit is avoiding new elections. Some new version of TRT or PPP or Peur Thai would certainly gain control again. The Democrats have no base in Isaan or the North where most of the voters live!

100% wrong. They did have new elections to replace the ousted MPs. Democrats and other coalition partners won 20 out of the 29 seats.

Mea culpa. I got ahead of my fact checking. However, the courts threw out all the cases against the Dems for election fraud. If you believe that the Dems weren't vote-buying then you are very naive. Even after throwing out 100+ MPs (remember, the 29 seats were just the latest stroke of the courts, and finally tipped the balance in favor of the Dems) it's not surprising that the Dems should make some inroads. There wasn't any opposition left! In a fair and organized election, Thaksin sympathizers would almost certainly win. I'm not saying this because I like Thaksin (I think he is scary), but because it's the obvious truth for anyone with open eyes in the north of Thailand. They vote for him because he gave them results... something the Dems will not do (they built their coalition with Chart Thai... probably the most corrupt of the political parties in Thailand). These people take money without giving. Thaksin took money AND gave...

And finally, sadly... as for the corruption allegations. He was charged with a land sale that his wife picked up. Her charges were dropped, but it was her transaction. In Thailand it is illegal for a wife to make a land transaction without the signature of her spouse. These are politically derived judgements handed down by a coup appointed court. The same kind of thing goes on all the time in all political parties.

In the end, without a legitimate justice system that hands out penalties on both sides, there is always going to be a mob.

Maybe the North would vote for Thaksin, but the Democrats get stable 80+ % in the south. Win easily Bangkok and also the centers of all other major cities and the east cost.

So it not as easy as you try to explain.

For the land case: get your facts straight.....as well the court was NOT coup appointed and there are a lot of other cases pending, which can not proceed because they require him personally to answer questions. Everyone who is doing business knows at least 1 case of corruption of the Thaksin clan first hand.

That sounds great, but if you are being honest... and you are one of those who is 'doing business' in Thailand, then you are well aware that if all actual corruption cases against MPs were fairly heard and tried there would be less than a handful of MPs left. I think prosecuting Thaksin is a great idea. However, I think if you put charges against him, bring him down, and ignore what everyone else has done, is doing, and will continue to do, it's a targeted exercise and won't solve the problem. What it does is show everyone that there is obvious bias in the judicial system, and to a lot of Thais, the only perceived difference with Thaksin is that he gave something (however little) back to the people.

And again, if the courts had done their job (at the insistence of the government), and prosecuted the last mob, we wouldn't have the current one, or Thaksin rearing his ugly head again. Injustice breeds indignity.

worthy of thought?

I just read a book about Fidel Castro and he explains what situation is necessary to create a revolution. Important is that the people have no work, hungry and poor. Else it does not work.

For tourism it is bad, but if it is fixed in 1-2 days than it is forgotten in 6 month (but people book their holidays 2-8 month ahead).

As well the airport thing is not forgotten yet and it refreshes the memory.

Cutting away a few % of tourism in a time of economic depression will hurt badly.

Residents of Din Daeng flats were terrified when protesters drove a truck fuelled by NGV gas into the compound.

The truck uses several NGV cylinders and the protesters shouted that the flat residents should leave immediately, prompting speculation that the protesters would explode the gas tanks.

The Nation

These people are beyond reason at this point. Its time to stop them. Using whatever means necessary.

Mea culpa. I got ahead of my fact checking. However, the courts threw out all the cases against the Dems for election fraud.

They got at least one yellow card - and lost the by-election, a relatively rare occurrence.

If you believe that the Dems weren't vote-buying then you are very naive. Even after throwing out 100+ MPs (remember, the 29 seats were just the latest stroke of the courts, and finally tipped the balance in favor of the Dems) it's not surprising that the Dems should make some inroads. There wasn't any opposition left!

Prior to the dissolutions, red- and yellow-carding had precious little effect on the balance of power in parliament.

Nothing tipped the balance in favour of the Democrats, although the numbers looked securer after the dissolutions. Two things happened - minor parties gave up on the PPP as it was dissolved and the Friends of Newin broke with Thaksin. That enabled the Democrats to form a stable coalition and actually start some governing - and an opportunity for snouts in troughs. The coalition could have been weakened by the results of the 29 by-elections - but the coalition was strengthened by the results - seats changed hands.

Now, I will agree that dissolution has become a farce, and it should therefore be dropped as a penalty. Or am I ignoring the goodwill value of a party's name?

Wow, war in the middle of Bangkok, soldier's are firing their guns at the protesters.

Funny how few the pictures are being released considering during the yellow dispersion on the last government, million of pictures were shown.

In the end, people resort to guns and not negotiations, I guess I Aphisit is no different, he just controls the Press better.

Most yellow protesters have high tech mobile phone that records high quality photos & videos. Also digital camera and other recording devices.

The Red in comparision as the poorer people that have limited recording devices in their phones. Also they are not used to taking photos, as they do not own a notebook to download the photos. Not to mention, how many of them know how to edit and transmit such thing, email, or put up a blog.

Sorry Monty, but can you refrain from posting news on Thai Visa as this is apparently against the rules, according to the new owner:

Welome. Thai Visa is a forum of free discussion not a news outlet

The Nation

My wife heard rumors of that at work on Friday...looks like those rumors were true.

That sounds great, but if you are being honest... and you are one of those who is 'doing business' in Thailand, then you are well aware that if all actual corruption cases against MPs were fairly heard and tried there would be less than a handful of MPs left. I think prosecuting Thaksin is a great idea. However, I think if you put charges against him, bring him down, and ignore what everyone else has done, is doing, and will continue to do, it's a targeted exercise and won't solve the problem. What it does is show everyone that there is obvious bias in the judicial system, and to a lot of Thais, the only perceived difference with Thaksin is that he gave something (however little) back to the people.

And again, if the courts had done their job (at the insistence of the government), and prosecuted the last mob, we wouldn't have the current one, or Thaksin rearing his ugly head again. Injustice breeds indignity.

Yes the judicial system is in bad shape, but bring the worst to justice is better than nothing and the democrats are relative clean.

If that country want to move forward it must totally change its legal system, police and army. Just taking out the worst guy helps for a few month only.

Unfortunately the only one who had the power to change that (the military government after the coup) did nothing....so no change.

not later than 2-5 years the next Thaksin (maybe he is called Newin??) is coming.....get kicked out....the next one -->a coup....the next one.....it is going like this the last 60 years.....

Some posters seems suspiciously absent... The ones who first said there were only a handful of reds.. The ones who then said they'd just go home to their Lao Khao for Songkran.. The silence is deafening.

Congratulations. Your red shirts are more violent and and deranged than most thought possible. :o

The 4am crackdown on Din Daeng intersection has shown that the army and police are behind the PM. Today would be a good day to stay home, for all those of you in and around Bangkok.

Stay safe everyone.

worthy of thought?

I just read a book about Fidel Castro and he explains what situation is necessary to create a revolution. Important is that the people have no work, hungry and poor. Else it does not work.

For tourism it is bad, but if it is fixed in 1-2 days than it is forgotten in 6 month (but people book their holidays 2-8 month ahead).

Cutting away a few % of tourism in a time of economic depression will hurt badly.

Now you agree that the "airport thing" (I like how you try to soften it) had an inpact on tourism? Because back then you and Plus were claiming it had no effect at all on tourism... :o

Some posters seems suspiciously absent... The ones who first said there were only a handful of reds.. The ones who then said they'd just go home to their Lao Khao for Songkran.. The silence is deafening.

I am here! I thought that, I was sure and I was wrong on that.....

worthy of thought?

Now you agree that the "airport thing" (I like how you try to soften it) had an inpact on tourism? Because back then you and Plus were claiming it had no effect at all on tourism... :o

I never told it has NO effect!

I told the 200 Billion Baht are wrong.

The Nation

These people are beyond reason at this point. Its time to stop them. Using whatever means necessary.

Another classis non news item from the Nation.

Firstly they paint a picture that it is a truck full of gas cylinders ie one of those delivery trucks. That out of the way its so speculative that even they use the word "speculation".

IS IT POSSIBLE TO START A NEW THREAD WITH NEWS ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING?????????

Sorry for being rude and using capitals but.......... there are poeple who live here and need to know facts about the actual situation, NOT speculations, NOT what anybody should do, NOT who should kill who.

Please moderators start a new thread with actual up to date info, so we know if we can safely go out or not. I am constantly watching the Thai news but understand nothing, I am sure there are many people in the same situation

Let's try to have a thread without all the bullsh*t PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Wow Tony!

Take a chill pill, or go play some Songkran! You're pretty stressed for 8am on a National Holiday!

Okay, a new thread right? For what news? If you take time to read this thread, you'll see people are adding news when there is news......

As for the 'speculation', it's not shit. It's people expressing their opinions. I am in your situation like others too, however I've been learning alot from others opinions and thoughts on this thread. At least people here can discuss.... not shout Tony, which begins to lead to the kind of problems we are seeing now.

When there is news, we will post it :o

In the meantime, chill; jai yen bro

I want to see Songkran yes, that is the whole reason I sent the message. Sorry(honestly) for "shouting" but that seemed the only way to get any attention here.

I am not complaining about people expressing their thoughts. They should do that, that's what I am doing also. I just think that the topic theme should be kept to. It is after all "News clippings" forum. I am relieved to see that other people feel the same as I do. I would start a new thread but the computer will not allow me to.

Anyway I had my coffee and a smoke and am "chilled", still a bit worried about what is happening.