State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions

Is there anyone who believes Thailand is now or ever has been a democracy?

I believe it never has been.

Simpletons

Quiz

Who rules Thailand?

Varied interests who sometimes oppose each other and sometimes work in concert.

Who owns most of the land in Thailand?

The Thai government. You probably thought it was the Crown Property Bureau, huh?

Who decides who the generals are in Thailand?

The ruling party of the day, or in some cases the factions that back them.

Who gave the Court the right to kick out democratically elected governments?

The constitution, if government found in violation of law.

Wasn't this current constitution put in by a coup government?

Yes

Does the ruling class benefits from the majority of people being put down? Oh yeah

It does if one chooses to take the short sighted view. The upper class could earn far nore from an educated workforce who earned more than just "labor" wages.

Now another question for farangs here?

Why are you here?

I am retired here, but more importantly my wife and daughters are Thai or partly so at least. I like what's good about Thailand more than I like what's good about my own country, and I dislike what's bad about Thailand less than I dislike what's bad about my own country.

It is not for the great jobs you have is it? HAA HAA

Couldn't say.

Is it to benefit from the majority of people being put down? Oh yeah.

In my life I have found, when one finds themselves in less developed, even impoverished countries, one has great leverage to do good or to do harm. We believe in our family, we are doing good. We employ 5 persons who suppiort 26 other persons. We tend to live "small" and always treat others with courtesy and respect unless it appears to be unwarranted.

Do you think Ghandi would be wearing a yellow shirt?

HAAA HAAA

How about Nelson Mandela? Sure--he would love that yellow.

Probably not.

If you are here to benefit from people being used and abused, you are in the right place--at least for a few more weeks.

But I do sympathize with the ruling elite here in some ways. To give over power to an uneducated mob could certainly wreck the nation. I do understand the problems at least in some ways.

Still, the change is coming and it would be better to be with the change and to influence it than to be run over by it.

Change takes time. So many people get caught up in the events of the moment and fail to see that quick change is extremely harmful. Because it is, it seldom happens. It's good to be aware of the trend though.

Just my small opinion

And mine.

LH & Rainman

Do you really want to see ee-Chalerm as PM? That scummy piece of shit and its inbred mutants (and yes, I am talking about its family too!)?

Go for it, then!!

(No it's not a typo. I will always refer to ee-Chalerm as 'it'.)

You'll never get an answer from them on that count. Its been asked and not answered countless times.

See what I mean? The silence on this issue speaks louder than anything.

I don't think there is any silence. Maybe some of us are just focussing on the bigger issues. It is not about the personalities, it is about democracy.

If you do not believe that, tell me that you can put your hand on your heart and support your heroes and their policies:

Abhisit? great leader and planner?

Kasit? mental age of what?

Suthep? Any other cabinet member you can admire?

Or maybe Mr Newin?

And then let's see:

The current government's standards:

Do you agree with only 30% of the government being elected and 70% being appointed by the poewers that be?

Do you agree with taking no action against the discgusting activiites of last year? PAD...

Do you agree with so much power being in the hands of a few in BKK and those in the countryside being considered sub-human?

Do you condone the continued cover ups and lies from the army over Cambodia and Rohingya?

If you support and agree with any of the above, come out and say it! Otherwise, stop droning on with sad old petty jokes about Thaksin and stop making personal attacks on people here for their beliefs (which, by the way are far more admirable than just following the easy poke-fun route so many of you do).

There are a lot of constructive members on here but form what I see the ones that continually make derogatory remarks are the sad old establishment buffoons...

Well, answer the questions above before you pick apart anyone else's posts and argue semantics...

The answer is very simply,

the present government have an democratic majority in the parliament.

BTW did TRT or PPP or wich party from Thaksin had ever50.01% of the vote?

They also made an coalition with other parties.

Another fact. In the last by-elections they won 21 of the 27 seats available, and what was even more significant they won seats in the Thaksin strongholds in the North and Isan.

And if next week there was an election, due to the current events it would be not impossible that the PPP or whatever the name of thaksin will be whioped out of the political scene.

But Abhisit is a statesman who know that the country needs actions to stimulate the economy in this time of an worldwide economical meltdown, and no riots on the streets for the benefit of one man to regain his assets. Howlong you will prostitute yourself for this man before you realise it.

Edited by henryalleman

I have just seen the very disturbing images of the red shirts visciously attacking the government cars and their occupants. I never thought I would say this, but the army needs to move in and end this tonight, hopefully with minimal casualties.

What shocked me the most was that the people charged with protecting the cars other than a very select few had no idea how to do their job, and didn't care enough to step in. It was some of the most astonishingly incompetent efforts at law enforcement I have ever seen. I don't expect them to be Rambo, but they should all surely have had a gun, and the end result is reds putting flag poles through the windscreens and the reds get hostages.

What were the reds doing inside the compound anyway, and if they had got in, who told the poor driver and passenger that it might be a good idea to make a run for it in a car. Maybe Abhisit went to school with Simon Mann who can give him a few contacts who will do a much better job and might actually take a bullet for someone. The incompetence and cowardice of the body guards was absolutely astounding.

Or more probably the guards DONT CARE because 30k per month aint worth it

Edited by Thai at Heart

My guess for tomorrow is Abhisit still PM, army in controll of Bangkok and a general anticlimacs of the last two days happenings.

That may all depend on the evaluation of his performance regarding the protection of his ASEAN chums.

That was far from spectacular.

I have just seen the very disturbing images of the red shirts visciously attacking the government cars and their occupants. I never thought I would say this, but the army needs to move in and end this tonight, hopefully with minimal casualties.

i was also amazed to see that... imagine if it was the US president in that car those people are dead meat. but somehow i thought about maybe all the soldiers that were there were all gays; they cannot defend their own prime minister, shame!

if aphisit was badly injured or even killed there then what?

Henryalleman and Edwardmoulton...let me ask you something.Are you farangs here?Obviously-Henryalleman is yellow(or just a militant guy) and Edwardmoulton is red. :D

So, to ask you why don't you mind your own business, instead to fight each other, if you are farangs.

And to Edwardmoulton: this always happens here. If you are farangs and if you are doing this, even not your business at all, then why is so hard to understand clash between Thais?

For operators,moderators here: i think you are sleeping if you allowed this to be posted here...I mean words of Edwardmoulton as"uncaring pig" and fascist...

Do your homework moderator.

:o

So, I wonder if Thailand is investing heavily in water canons and beanbag firing weapons yet...

Crowd control seems to be an ongoing concern and killing opponents isn't an option, just public safety and avoiding anarchy.

And i rest my case once again"This is the Thai News Clippings " Thai news interpreted by an individual.

So what the f do you know about Thai politics other then getting it from Thai translated papers?NOTHING

Express your concerns about the situation or your hopes for the future, but do not get into discussion or argument over Thai politics, because you know nothing about it and hence it is you and people commenting on Thai politics look like fools.

Actually the english language news sites (the nation/bangkok post/reuters/BBC/AFP) have their own reporters reporting directly in wnglish so nothing is translated. The reporters from the newspapers are thai nationals that write in english so they have a good grip on situation are are able to put that into english.

So we have credible news stories made by credile journalists, so why is it wrong to discuss the politics? Do you feel that we a non thai are incapable of understanding politics? Are thai's so spectalularly different that us mere farang could not possibly hope to understand what is going on?

I therefore contest the notion that we look like fools and that you should refrain from posting words to that effect, lest you be yourself be called a fool.

There you go, does not even live here but watches CNN/BBC and already is an expert on Thai politics, and i bet my bottom dollar will continue to argue the point that he is right!

And yet again somehow assumed i am Thai-do i need to say anything else about your ability to argue the politics?

Its not about being expert in Thai politics

What people see on all major European and other TV stations worlwide is a mob wearing red shirts attacked the car of the PM, they all say the PM was inside and could escape.

They saw the same mob demolish another government car, pulled the driver out throw him on the floor and 5*6 people start to kick while he was on the pavement trying to protect his head.

They are told that an ex PM accused of corruption call up for an revolution.

They saw a Buddhist monk participate in demolishing the government car

Those people have no interest in Thai politics they only see scum acting like scum.

Don't be surprised that those people think twice before booking their next holiday to Thailand.

What you are going to say to the hundred thousand of people who will loose their job in the service industry because of it.

And think that a mob of only a few thousand is responsible for all that.

And its the priviledge of free speech is that everybody can comment about the political situation in any country on the globe.

BTW I follow Thai politics since the last 35 years and its still an enigma.

What shocked me the most was that the people charged with protecting the cars other than a very select few had no idea how to do their job, and didn't care enough to step in. It was some of the most astonishingly incompetent efforts at law enforcement I have ever seen. I don't expect them to be Rambo, but they should all surely have had a gun, and the end result is reds putting flag poles through the windscreens and the reds get hostages.

What were the reds doing inside the compound anyway, and if they had got in, who told the poor driver and passenger that it might be a good idea to make a run for it in a car. Maybe Abhisit went to school with Simon Mann who can give him a few contacts who will do a much better job and might actually take a bullet for someone. The incompetence and cowardice of the body guards was absolutely astounding.

Or more probably the guards DONT CARE!

Hello

A lot of people seem to be astonished at the police/army's ineffectiveness at handling the reds in the incident with the (assumed) PM's car and other incidents over the past few days. Their disbelief is understandable considering the societies they come from. However, in Thailand the balance of professionalism and personal convictions is far more blurred among army/police cadres. The reasons for this go beyond 'We pay you to do what we say' or 'Anything we tell you to do is for the good of the country'. For them it's all about 2 things:

1) What do I do when someone I have no problem with (or even agree with) challenges me with empty hands and fellow supporters?

2) I've been told to stop these people without using violence.

This combination makes it impossible to suppress rioters. If a foreign power decided to invade, you could be sure the armed forces would put up as effective a concerted defence as humanly possible, but this is their own countrymen and women. No one in Europe or America can imagine what it was like when civil wars effected their nations and what made a person kill his own countryman, but even if you compare this situation with rioting which has happened in LA, UK, France etc in recent decades you can see that in those cases the rioters represented minority underclasses - the poor black population in south central LA, the alienated immigrants in France, the discriminated-against ethnic minorities in places like Toxteth and Brixton in the UK etc. Thus the security forces in those countries - apart from being much better trained with a clear and effective command structure - were not having to deal with people they might have considered 'their own'.

In these troubles in Thailand, it appears that at least at a local level, security forces have taken a decision not to follow their orders. So you may scream 'insubordination' or 'lack of professionalism' or whatever else you would have screamed if your own country's security forces failed to put down riots conducted by minorities, but you miss the crucial point - the people conducting these riots are not an insiginificant minority. This is not like the riots you may have seen in your own countries. The armed forces here are not just faced with a professional duty - they are in a very real social dilemma.

Of course this leads to embarrassment for the government and makes the security forces look utterly toothless, but that is a result of the politicans' failure to unite the country and prevent such large numbers of dissenters from forming a mob.

And you may say that soldiers/police on the front line aren't paid to 'think', but perhaps their unsanctioned moral judgements show a level of humanity which would be considered a luxury in your own countries. Some of those 'pussy-ass' army/policemen might be a touch braver than you think.

Edited by hanuman1

No one in Europe can imagine what it was like when civil wars effected their nations

Not exactly true. Balkan. Spain. Northern Ireland. We're still not that far from ww2 either, even if the generation following mine start to loose the historic perspective. The various stalinist groups back in the 70's. etc etc.

The current government hold the key to a relative peacefull ending of this. Dissolution of house and a general understanding that the next government have to go back to the 1997 constitution and work from there. The Junta created one certainly showed its not working...

... if he [Abhisit]calls new elections he won't be PM again. The courts would have to throw out another 50 or so MPs to give his coalition space to rule.

MPs disqualified when their parties were dissolved (on either side) have already been replaced in by-elections. And the dissolutions had less effect than before - parties no longer have so many MPs in their 'executive'.

Henryalleman and Edwardmoulton...let me ask you something.Are you farangs here?Obviously-Henryalleman is yellow(or just a militant guy) and Edwardmoulton is red. :D

So, to ask you why don't you mind your own business, instead to fight each other, if you are farangs.

And to Edwardmoulton: this always happens here. If you are farangs and if you are doing this, even not your business at all, then why is so hard to understand clash between Thais?

For operators,moderators here: i think you are sleeping if you allowed this to be posted here...I mean words of Edwardmoulton as"uncaring pig" and fascist...

Yes I'm an alien ET ALORS? never heard of free speech. And no I'm not a yellow fan, but a fan of Abhisit ET ALORS?

I visited the country for more than 30 years and traveled about 250 000 k all over the country.

And when I write all over the country I don't mean Kao San rd, Pattaya; Pukhet or other tourist places, but Isan, North and central Thailand. I'm well aware of the poverty, I have many friends in Isan and North, my extended family is spread all over the country, follow Thai politics for more than 30 years. So I have some knowledge about Thai history, culture, society, mentality and politics.

And you?

Sorry, the 2006 coup was illegal, and so was the scrapping of the 1997 Peoples Constitution.

Every event since then is illegtimate in all reality, and is the root cause of all the problems today.

End Of Story.

Sorry... But Abhisit and the current government were formed after 2 elections that followed the Coup.. If this government was illegal, then so were the 2 previous Thaksin supported governments of the PPP and Phua Thai... both collapsing due to Vote-Buying and other charges of corruption.

The Constitution has been changed... The Hows and Whys are irrelevant, as the 2 governments since the Coup have not managed to gather enough support to return it to the Pre-coup state... That gives it the legitimacy of both time and use.

Get Over it...

I'm not saying that either side is right or wrong.. but the legality and legitamacy of the current government is indisputable under the Rules of a Parlimentary Democracy.

CS

So i have been reading up on these theories that the majority of thai people support the red shirts and that they easily have more than 50% of the thai vote and such. Also checking up these claims by people that the current government is illegal and does not have a popular mandate.

I'm sorry the more i check actual facts and figure the less all these theories hold up.

for example, in the last election (2007) and PPP only won 36.63% of the constituency vote vs the democrats with 30.30, that translates into 39.60% for PPP vs 39.63% for the dems of the proportional vote. So the dems do have a very large following, very close to that of PPP.

PPP won the 2007 election and installed Samark as it's PM. Samark was Thaksins right hand man during his time as PM. Samark later had to step down because his involvement with his cooking show. When Samark stepped down, the lower house had an election and installed Somchai as PM. there were NO general election to elect somchai.

PAD demonstration continued against the government which was led by Thaksins brother-in-law, culminating in the airport seizure by PAD in november of last year.

The EC found the PPP guilty of paying smaller political groups to run in previous by-elections so they could circumvent the 20% of total vote rule for districts which have sole candidates.

The PPP was disolved after the verdict and thus the lower house again had to elect a new PM. Though a combination of MP's refusing to join up with the newly formed Peua Thai party and power sharing deals with smaller parties, the democrates were able to form a coalition and garner enough votes from the lower house to elect Abhisit as PM.

That's the story so far. As we can see the dems do have a large enough popular support to support a PM, the government was formed the same way as the somchai government. At no point in time was anything illegal done, if electing a PM through lower house vote (happens like this every single time since it's the system) is considered illegal by the UDD, then why were they not up in arms when somchai got elected?

Thailand currently has an elected government no ifs and buts about it. Talk about the constitution being illegal is ofcourse nonsense since you cannot have an illegal constitution it's just not possible.

Legal constitution, elected government the whole nine yards. you might not like the constitution or the current government and would like them to change, but that does not make them illegal.

Sorry... But Abhisit and the current government were formed after 2 elections that followed the Coup..

There's only been one election since the coup, in December 2007.

If this government was illegal, then so were the 2 previous Thaksin supported governments of the PPP and Phua Thai... both collapsing due to Vote-Buying and other charges of corruption.

There has yet to be a PTP government. There've been 2 PPP prime ministers, obviously both since the 2007 elections.

And my final post on TV is to say to stepenwolf1958, who are you to tell anyone what to do? You are Thai, congratulations! You just joined the world's lowest IQ, most belligerent, small minded and racist club on earth. Remember that foreigners only come to LOS for one thing and it is not your culture, trust me... Now your mindless stupidity and lack of ability to do anything properly are know the world over by recent events.

Work your problems out yourselves as you will be by yourselves - you have alienated all your tourists, all your business partners and even long time residents like me with the never ending rubbish you spout about telling us to get out of your business.

Well stick to your business and culture what little of it you possess and never watch our sport or travel to our countries because we know you all for what you are now. Cretins of the first order and the most ungrateful race on earth. Don't worry you will be crying into your somtam soon when the country is empty, unemployed and poor...

Sorry to say this but Took Dtong

So i have been reading up on these theories that the majority of thai people support the red shirts and that they easily have more than 50% of the thai vote and such. Also checking up these claims by people that the current government is illegal and does not have a popular mandate.

I'm sorry the more i check actual facts and figure the less all these theories hold up.

for example, in the last election (2007) and PPP only won 36.63% of the constituency vote vs the democrats with 30.30, that translates into 39.60% for PPP vs 39.63% for the dems of the proportional vote. So the dems do have a very large following, very close to that of PPP.

PPP won the 2007 election and installed Samark as it's PM. Samark was Thaksins right hand man during his time as PM. Samark later had to step down because his involvement with his cooking show. When Samark stepped down, the lower house had an election and installed Somchai as PM. there were NO general election to elect somchai.

PAD demonstration continued against the government which was led by Thaksins brother-in-law, culminating in the airport seizure by PAD in november of last year.

The EC found the PPP guilty of paying smaller political groups to run in previous by-elections so they could circumvent the 20% of total vote rule for districts which have sole candidates.

The PPP was disolved after the verdict and thus the lower house again had to elect a new PM. Though a combination of MP's refusing to join up with the newly formed Peua Thai party and power sharing deals with smaller parties, the democrates were able to form a coalition and garner enough votes from the lower house to elect Abhisit as PM.

That's the story so far. As we can see the dems do have a large enough popular support to support a PM, the government was formed the same way as the somchai government. At no point in time was anything illegal done, if electing a PM through lower house vote (happens like this every single time since it's the system) is considered illegal by the UDD, then why were they not up in arms when somchai got elected?

Thailand currently has an elected government no ifs and buts about it. Talk about the constitution being illegal is ofcourse nonsense since you cannot have an illegal constitution it's just not possible.

Legal constitution, elected government the whole nine yards. you might not like the constitution or the current government and would like them to change, but that does not make them illegal.

So let the Elections take place, Abhisit should win easy now most of his opposition have been banned from politics!

This way the UDD will have no argument and everybody will be happy. For those who say he needs to get the country up and running first, take a look outside. I don't think there is light at the end of the tunnel and no other way forward.

So let the Elections take place, Abhisit should win easy now most of his opposition have been banned from politics!

This way the UDD will have no argument and everybody will be happy. For those who say he needs to get the country up and running first, take a look outside. I don't think there is light at the end of the tunnel and no other way forward.

Why does an elected government need to hold elections? There will be elections once Abhisits term is up, is that not good enough? every 4 years you can vote and vote in a new guy if you don't like the current one. i don't see why there need to be elections AGAIN the last ones where less than 17 months ago. Besides even if we do have new election (TBH not the worst idea in the world) are you sure that UDD will abide by the results?

they seem to want thaksin back and thaksin alone, new elections will not make that happen since he's a felon, so the UDD will demand that thaksin will be pardoned including all the other banned politicians. I think they also want to reinstate the 1997 constitution (the current one forbids thaksin from running i believe), so that changes the whole thing again. It's not just election the UDD want, it's wholesale changes to the legal framework and that their dear leader be allowed to run, if they don't get that they will riot again.

Here's another one for you to investigate if you have time?

Was the Military Coup legal? Do the Military leaders have the power to stage coups when they please? if not has anybody been held responsible?

I would be interested to know the answers to those.

Was the Military Coup legal? Do the Military leaders have the power to stage coups when they please? if not has anybody been held responsible?

That one is easy, no need to investigate.

The answer is no, coups are not legal, the military never has the legal right to undermine the lawful government. Any time they do so is considered an act of treason.

*edit i read over your second questions (technically 3rd)

The sonthi (or sondhi?) coup was never punished since the surayad promise as part of the hand over deal to fully absolve the coup makers of all wrong doing and give them full immunity from persecution in the future

Edited by eldar1

The military leaders in Thailand definately have the power to stage coups , this they have demonstrated time and again.

Since they have the power they have never been held responsible as far as I can remember.