Bangkok Airport

colcol

sorry to pose such a simple question but I will be arriving in bangkok on BA flight and then catching domestic flight to chiang mai. how do I get from international to domestic terminal and how long (maximum) does it take please?

If you walk through the connecting tunnel its 15-20 mins.

There is also a shuttle bus outside the main terminals that take you to domestic.

I did not find the signposting from International to national terminal very clear , I was walking in circles, maybe thats just me (jetlagged), but if you're pushed for time maybe the bus is a better option.

If you already hold tickets onward to Chiengmai try to check in at Heathrow as bound for there, as opposed to Bangkok. I have done this in the past and you avoid the ques and problems of Bangkok, clearing customs at Chiengmai. Baggage is transferred for you and absolutely no hassle. Worth a try. :o

Last trip on Thai (to Chiang Mai)was a breeze .

Arrived at Don.M.and because my flight was a little bit early arriving I had a word with the chappie at the desk and since I only had my tesco bag hand luggage I went straight on to an earlier flight and saved a 2 hour stopover in the lounge.

Total time from walking off the London flight and onto the Cm one was about 20 minutes.

Just over an hour and a half later I was in the Dun 2 Wan hotel with my first drink of the day.......yeah and the rest :o

If you're arriving at Terminal 2 then it's not really worth waiting for the connecting bus especially if you've just missed one.

Personally, if time is in my favour then a nice walk even from Terminal 1 to Domestic would surely be appreciated after a long flight.

Terminal 1 to Domestic...about 10 - 15 mins.

Also you may be lucky and catch the passenger buggy that goes back and forth along the passageway if you want that option.

Send your check in bags straight to Chiang Mai. You can do this regardless of whether you do immigration in bangkok or chiangmai.

When you check in ask if you can transit in Bangkok and go through immigration in Chiang Mai. A lot airlines have this arrangement, if you can pick up your BKK-CNX boarding pass from BA then you don't have to go to the domestiic terminal in Bangkok, just go to the transfer area in International.

At least the tunnel/bridge now has a/c. I remember a very tight connection through Don Muang 8 or 9 years ago when we had to run down the tunnel/bridge in the middle of summer to catch the KK connection. Now I'm old enough not only not to give a sh1t about connections, but also to get the cart.