Importing To Thailand... Am I Missing Something?

Hi,

I'd be greatful to hear from anybody out there who has had experience importing products to Thailand. I am not naive and I do understand the reason for placing restrictions on Imports to Thailand, but are these figures correct...?

Value of item to be imported = $1000

Import Duty @ 60% = $600

Surcharge/Special Duty = $10

Fee = $50

Excise Tax ($1000 + $600 + $50 = $1650) 30% of $1650 = $495

Interior Tax 10% of $495 = $49.50

VAT ($1000 + $600 + $50 + $495 + $49.50 = $2194.50) 7% of $2194.50 = $153.61

Total import tax on an item valued at $1000 = $1358.11

Are these figures correct...?

Appreciate any advice or information.

Cheers.

I suggest contacting a clearing agent and mention that some tea money is on offer - worked wonders for me after having been very rudely told at customs that unless I could speak and read Thai for completing forms, they couldn't and wouldn't help. I had done it myself before with the assistance of a freelance clearing agent but at that time the lady in charge of the customs unit was very nice, polite and helpful. She smoothed the way for everything after taking a cursory look inside the boxes with me. Pity they transferred some dummies from Bangkok that have to be the rudest Thais I have come across.

When I first moved to live here 6 years ago I imported some of my own personal items.

At Don Muang got presented with a bill from an agent for 16,800 baht and tlold goods will not be released until the bill was paid.

Got the Thai customs involved after about 2 hours talking goods were released to me and paid 3,800 baht for some of the so called paperwork done by the agent.

Put my stuff in a cab with 3 or 4 minders looking on and drove away.

I should have known then what a backward place this is.

I suggest contacting a clearing agent and mention that some tea money is on offer - worked wonders for me after having been very rudely told at customs that unless I could speak and read Thai for completing forms, they couldn't and wouldn't help. I had done it myself before with the assistance of a freelance clearing agent but at that time the lady in charge of the customs unit was very nice, polite and helpful. She smoothed the way for everything after taking a cursory look inside the boxes with me. Pity they transferred some dummies from Bangkok that have to be the rudest Thais I have come across.

Thanks, I will contact a clearing agent, but the figures I posted are for 'products' imported for resale in Thailand, not personal effects. I'm not sure if the figures are the same, but I am interested in importing items necessary for a manufacturing process which I cannot source in Thailand.

The numbers / calculation you posted is for items carrying excise tax.

Which in Thailand is mainly on alcohol products, petroleum products, tobacco products and vehicles.

So if you take out the excise tax, you are looking at much lower numbers!

Also, import duty varies from product to product.

There are actually quite a few products carrying a 0% import tax!. Examples are IT equipment, yachts, airplanes (ultralights for example) etc...

Do note that CIF means Cargo, insurance and Freight, so you pay import duty on the price of the transport into Thailand and the insurance of the freight, not just only on the value of the cargo!

The numbers / calculation you posted is for items carrying excise tax.

Which in Thailand is mainly on alcohol products, petroleum products, tobacco products and vehicles.

So if you take out the excise tax, you are looking at much lower numbers!

Also, import duty varies from product to product.

There are actually quite a few products carrying a 0% import tax!. Examples are IT equipment, yachts, airplanes (ultralights for example) etc...

Do note that CIF means Cargo, insurance and Freight, so you pay import duty on the price of the transport into Thailand and the insurance of the freight, not just only on the value of the cargo!

Thanks Monty,

The figures I posted were taken from the Customs Department Website, but unfortunately I cannot find a list of items which are duty free. I will contact a clearing agent, but had hoped that I might benefit from the experience of other ThaiVisa members.

• 2 weeks later...

genset

Pls DO visit BOI Thailand (The Thai Board of Investment (BOI) - your investment and business information source for Thailand.) for the most accurate and legitimate information and they do have hotline for foreigners. Tea-money is obviously a way for regular importers/exporters, but most probably not for a newbie. Hence, follow the rules. You will eventually learn the easier way later on.

From a Thai point of view.