One Shot Dead By Red-shirted Protesters

george

One shot dead by red-shirted protesters

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirted protesters shot a person dead and injured two others when residents of the Nang Lerng Market came out to criticise the protesters, PM's Office Satit Wongnontaey said.

Satit told Channel 11 that the protesters shot at three people and one was killed while the two others were injured.

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Follow the Breaking News here:

1. Sign up for Breaking Newsletter by email: http://www.thaivisa.com/353.0.html

2. Download our Toolbar for IE and Firefox: http://toolbar.thaivisa.com

3. Follow the Breaking News on Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirted protesters shot a person dead and injured two others when residents of the Nang Lerng Market came out to criticise the protesters, PM's Office Satit Wongnontaey said.

Satit told Channel 11 that the protesters shot at three people and one was killed while the two others were injured.

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Interesting to note that Red's are claiming many shot and killed by army, but currently the only Verified death is between the red's and local residents. Very sad.

Freddie

This is so tragic!! How can they claim to stand for democracy when they gun down someone who simply wants to peacefully make a living. Clearly this is a brainless and violent mob bent on getting blood and devoid of logic. I am praying for no more deaths and the swift resolution to this, but it is obvious there will be blood.

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Interesting to note that Red's are claiming many shot and killed by army, but currently the only Verified death is between the red's and local residents. Very sad.

Freddie

Can someone send a message to Taxin and let him know he is not the hero, he is just like a common criminal who thinking people still luv him ---- WRONG

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Freddie

Can someone send a message to Taxin and let him know he is not the hero, he is just like a common criminal who thinking people still luv him ---- WRONG

I just told him on MSN.

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Freddie

And to make matters worse...the BBC has just had Taksin on the 10 o'clock news backed by a Thai flag saying that the protesters a right and the army are wrong and that it's time the government was changed!

No mention of the fact that he started the whole thing or that he is a convicted felon on the run from justice!!! Bloody BBC :o:D:D

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Freddie

And to make matters worse...the BBC has just had Taksin on the 10 o'clock news backed by a Thai flag saying that the protesters a right and the army are wrong and that it's time the government was changed!

No mention of the fact that he started the whole thing or that he is a convicted felon on the run from justice!!! Bloody BBC :o:D:D

Deny and change the topic is a trait common to Thai's. Ignoring the problem for too long got us into the mess and continuing the ignore it will only prolong it.

But Thaksin is a clever man I will give him that. A real chameleon. He mentions in his CNN interview that the Thai government is ignoring the elephant in the living room not facing the actual problems. When he himself is the one ignoring that he is inciting riots in the country he claims he should be leading.

Just risen to two dead.

Bangkok Medical Department chief Phetpong Kamchornkijkarn said late Monday night that two persons were killed during the clash between vendors of Nang Lerng Market and red-shirted people.

They were identified as Pom Pholphanbua, 50, and Yupha Wisetphanit, 19.

Nine vendors were also injured. Six of them were sent to the Hua Chiew Hospital and three to Central Hospital.

The Nation

Freddie

If you read Thai message boards (Thai language only) you'll read some quite substantial claims, but as yet no proof has been given.

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Freddie

similar interview was also on al jazeera, but more critical questions asked that were not answered by thaksin. he's the biggest crook that t'land knows, only in isan they don't understand that yet... yeah, education is not high standard, because that is in favour of the politicians: when they know to much, they talk to much... all red shirts are on the payroll, 600 baht per day. but they are less already, i guess they had to go home to celebrate songkran, or what's left of it!

similar interview was also on al jazeera, but more critical questions asked that were not answered by thaksin. he's the biggest crook that t'land knows, only in isan they don't understand that yet... yeah, education is not high standard, because that is in favour of the politicians: when they know to much, they talk to much... all red shirts are on the payroll, 600 baht per day. but they are less already, i guess they had to go home to celebrate songkran, or what's left of it!

This one really should have died a death by now. Where is your proof that *all* red shirts *are* actively receiving 600 baht per day? How many have you met and talked to at length? I'm sure that *some* have received money in the past, and maybe some of them still do now, but this is not unique to the red shirts. And, more importantly, I think a sizeable number of them would turn out (if financially able to) to support Taksin and the Red Shirt cause. They are fed up with having the military and "elite" keeping them down, and who can blame them?

Freddie

If you read Thai message boards (Thai language only) you'll read some quite substantial claims, but as yet no proof has been given.

Yep, my wife is reading a couple right now as she was concerned about friends after watching video on CNN, right where they are living. My reply to her was the same as to the forum, there are always 'claims' and often exaggerated, but until they are verified by other sources they only serve as a vehicle to rouse people and shock them, there are claims on Thai message boards of hundreds of dead but I have talked to my neighbour who is a doctor at Samitivej and he says according to collegues at many hospitals no gunshot victims have been received.

regards

Freddie

This one really should have died a death by now. Where is your proof that *all* red shirts *are* actively receiving 600 baht per day? How many have you met and talked to at length? I'm sure that *some* have received money in the past, and maybe some of them still do now, but this is not unique to the red shirts. And, more importantly, I think a sizeable number of them would turn out (if financially able to) to support Taksin and the Red Shirt cause. They are fed up with having the military and "elite" keeping them down, and who can blame them?

The yellow shirts only got between 300-500,hope they dont find out or else they wil buy red shirts and march.

money number 1,2 and 3

This is so very sad. Poor innocent vendors protecting their livelihoods from these wicked and horrific thugs. My thoughts go out to the families of the murdered man and those injured.

I just was watching the news. These so called RED shirts are bunch of hooligans and have sense of right or wrong for the country. These are the type of people will turn against Taxin if we just pay them too.

But personally I think they should all be arrest and jailed for a long time alone with Taxin

most demonstrators are being paid, just as the yellow shirts at the airport got paid. this is very common here, money is the name of the game. thaksin can confirm that because he's got never enough... like everywhere else also here in t'land is economic crisis, not many go to bangkok and stay there several days/weeks for free, how could they afford to do so? no problem, as long as they don't use force, but this evening they went to far with one dead citizen as result. i really feel sorry for the people of thailand, not many know what democracy really means...

Freddie

On this site the consensus seems to be that they understand the Red's feelings of anger but they are going about fixing the problem all wrong and are taking down the whole country with them. It seems they have lost support. Also a great many say they are puppets of Thaksin.

Any other thai Lang boards you can suggest?

Edited by wasabi

I'd wait for the dust to settle to begin count-up of who shot who/who fired first ect.......Thai media are controlling the news feeds and headlines at moment while international media are more cautious and need verification and witness's

Freddie

Yep, my wife is reading a couple right now as she was concerned about friends after watching video on CNN, right where they are living. My reply to her was the same as to the forum, there are always 'claims' and often exaggerated, but until they are verified by other sources they only serve as a vehicle to rouse people and shock them, there are claims on Thai message boards of hundreds of dead but I have talked to my neighbour who is a doctor at Samitivej and he says according to collegues at many hospitals no gunshot victims have been received.

regards

Freddie

Yes, that's part of the claim on the Thai message boards. No bodies - shipped off to destination unknown. It's possible, but I really don't know if it's true.

Murder. Just because people dont buy the Thaksin line

Same as it's ever been Hammered. Seems like you're finally learning that PAD and Reds are not cut from the same cloth when it comes to resorting to violence, but quite different beasts altogether. Different league altogether. Been trying to persuade you for quite a while now, but think my point is finally made by your own admission.

Have a nice, peaceful Songkhran, but don't go choosing the wrong coloured shirt to go outdoors in future. :o

I feel for the misled mothers and families along for this ride with the Redshirts. It's abundantly clear that many of these Reds are nothing more than drunken paid goons. Thaksin moved his family out of the country because he knew what was planned but this is the beginning of the end for him. If the Redshirts are not careful the populace of Bangkok will rise up and expel them mob style and this will not be pretty. I've lost a lot of faith in the people of Isaan as a result of this last fiasco. Thaksin is truly an eogotiscal, sadistic, self serving, delusional sick man and many of his followers are truly ignorant in their actions. This is a sad series of events for Thailand that will not be easily healed.

From the mouth of the convicted ex PM criminal - 500 Bht to protest - unfortunately it's in Thai - but at 40 seconds he makes the error in telling the world - the reaction when its pointed out he has blown it is priceless - Oh <deleted>!

I have to say that this is where I draw the line between violent protest and terrorism. Anyone wearing red with a grain of common sense and understand will drop the gang colors and continue to voice their opinions in other means. Targeting and killing innocent civilians specifically to provoke a political change/gain is, in itself, the modern definition of terrorism, and there is only one kind of treatment for these kind of people. I no longer have sympathy for casualties on the red side.