Are You A Golf Wannabe?

DJ Pat

Each to their own DJ Pat...

do you know where the name comes from?

GOLF?

Golf : Probably from Dutch " Kolf " . A game played in the northern parts of the Netherlands, with very similar rules as todays golf. the instrument to propell the ball looked very much like to todays golf clubs.

I'm guessing the original poster thought golf stood for "Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden" which is a common urban myth:

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/golf.htm

The second explanation is better, but has it's faults as well:

Golf is an old word, one that first appeared in our written language in 1425. One theory says the word golf derives from the Dutch word kolf, a generic term for a stick, club, or mallet used in a number of games similar to tennis, croquet, and hockey. However, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, claiming the Dutch word kolf as the origin of golf is problematic for a variety of reasons:

None of the Dutch games has been convincingly identified with golf.

It is not certain that the word kolf was ever used to denote the name of a game rather than the name of an implement.

Scottish lacks any forms of the word golf beginning with a 'c' or a 'k.'

The Scottish game of golf is mentioned much earlier than any of the supposedly similar Dutch sports.

Another theory ascribes golf to the Scottish goulf (also gowf), a verb meaning "to strike or cuff." This theory would at least place the origin of the word with the people who invented the game. As for "striking or cuffing," an integral part of the game is, after all, hitting the ball.

(In those older Scottish writings, golf is variously spelled gouff, goiff, goffe, goff, gowff, and golph. Our modern determination to have only one correct spelling for each word would have struck our ancestors as hilariously pedantic and priggish. The norm for them was any number of spellings for common terms, provided those written representations validly reflected the pronounciation of the word. When viewed from that angle, those odd-looking spellings begin to appear far less mysterious.)

Games similar to golf have been around since Roman times, but golf as we now know it dates approximately to 1552, when the famed St. Andrews course was constructed. Earlier Scottish versions were also referred to as "golf" even though the game so designated was very much different than its later St. Andrews version.

(Bridge has a similar history. The card game we now know by that name dates only to the 1920s, yet games called "bridge" in which trump suits were named and outcomes determined by the number of tricks taken were around by 1860. As bridge historian Jack Olsen explains it, "Whist led to bridge-whist, which led to auction bridge, which led to contract bridge, which led to murder, divorce, suicide, mayhem, and other social evils." We can't help but find that a charmingly succinct yet apt history of the development of the game, even if it leaves off mention of "trump," the fifteenth century game that preceded whist.)

As for golf and this wholly unfounded "gentlemen only; ladies forbidden" word origin, its appeal is attributable to a societal shift in the nature of who now plays the game. Women these days take as many trips around the links as do their male counterparts, and golf has grown to be a pastime enjoyed by both sexes. It's thus somewhat pleasing to imagine that this now egalitarian game was at its inception intended strictly for one gender; that indeed its very name declared it off limits to the fair sex (presumably keeping them from becoming "the fairway sex" as well). Women enjoy this notion because they take satisfaction from the image of having stormed and overcome a defended male bastion, whereas men like the specious word origin because it "confirms" that it's really their game, even if the ladies now run rampant through it.

Were it up to us to promote one false word origin over another, we'd argue for golf being flog backwards. Less sexist, and far more accurate a representation, we think.

Other info about golf:

http://www.snopes.com/sports/golf/18holes.htm

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/animals/golfcroc.htm

All here:

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=golf+...0&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both regions have Celtic background, hence the similarities in the word. ( did you know that the local dialect spoken in Ostend(Belgium) is perfectly understood by Scots north of Glasgow? If you travel along the coast line from the north of France to Denmark, you will find local dialects there that are very similar in structure, vocabulary and pronounciation)

This seems to indicate that the game under some form was part of a common cultural heritage.

Where ever it comes from, it is a fascinating game, that pitches human intelligence and body control against nature in a very peaceful, relaxing way.

Never was able to develop a good swing and gave up on it.

Each to their own DJ Pat...

do you know where the name comes from?

GOLF?

Golf : Probably from Dutch " Kolf " . A game played in the northern parts of the Netherlands, with very similar rules as todays golf. the instrument to propell the ball looked very much like to todays golf clubs.

No. GOFL = Game of Lazy Fellas :o

--------------------

Edited by Darknight

Cant be bothered reading all the posts......got through the first ten or so......anyway DJ Pat.....have to agree u sound like a ######, sorry about that but u need a dose of laxatives and an enema !!

I'll be going out in my baggy checkered trousers and silly hat for a spot of golf later......why dont u join me. I always say I get more value for my money than my mates because I hit the ball many more times than they do. !!

And to the guy who said he hates golf and this is why he has never tried it.......sorry mate but u are also a tosser !! How can u hate it if u never tried it ! My mum used to say that about vegetables.....now I eat em all !!

And to the guy who said he hates golf and this is why he has never tried it.......sorry mate but u are also a tosser !! How can u hate it if u never tried it ! My mum used to say that about vegetables.....now I eat em all !!

When I replied with " I'm probably like you Pat, I've never tried golf 'cause I hate it. :o ", it was meant as humour. See the smilie?

I guess you still don't eat all your carrots then? Oh!...and too much tossing can make you go blind. (btw, that was humour too).

:D

Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...