Licence For A Gun

khongniam

...law says that if you are a farang you cannot own or carry a gun

Can you point to that law anywhere on a Thai government web site. That may or may not be the case. We asked a Police officer (friend) about getting a license for one recently. My wife is Thai so maybe that makes the difference, but he said if we wanted a proper licensed one, there is a procedure, that starts by going to get permission from your local village head man or chief. Some of you may not know this but even most cities (like Hua Hin) are made up of several small villages so you have to know your village and who to talk to there. Ours is Nong Khae, which is the south end of Hua Hin near Takiab. You explain to him why you want one and if he signs off on it you file papers with with his permission with the police and unless you've had a run in with the law before you should get a license.

As I said, my wife is Thai, and the person we asked about this procedure knows we are a Thai-farang couple and he said it should be no problem for us. Possibly it's because she is Thai. We will probably do it soon and then I can let you know more.

Why the hel_l would you want to anyway.

There are in-home murders here (in Thailand) all the time. A large percentage of them are not even publicized so I don't think you have any idea how many there are. Taking your personal safety and the safety of your loved ones is imo an intelligent thing to do. Having said that, I grew up around guns, shot them since I was 9 or 10 years old, owned more than one since I was about 12 years old so I know how to use them and store them safely. I don't know where the op is from, but if it is one of those "non-gun" countries, I would advise against getting one unless you go through training (they may offer it at one of the two Hua Hin shooting ranges) in the safe handling of a weapon... and for God's sake if you have children, keep it out of their access or if you think they are old enough, get them trained too.

And if you have to I would think its time to move!

Where to? Anywhere in the world is dangerous now days. I always kept a hand gun in the house in California and Florida too (and that's in a country where you can call 911 and the police will usually show up in under 5 minutes. Here, they may show up the next day after you make an emergency call (if you're lucky)! A friend of mine got shot here in his own front yard and the police were notified immediately. They showed up the next afternoon to look around for evidence after it had rained hard all night washing everything away!

All you gun haters would change your mind once you are a victim of violent crime in your own home. I've seen it happen more than once. I have a friend who has been living in Thailand for many years. He is a far left liberal and has always been dead set against all guns. After his home was robbed three times with him, his wife, and baby asleep inside he contacted me to as the same question as the op. You may change your mind if it happens to you.

This may answer a few questios and a search will give you lots to look at

An overview of the framework is below, though despite this plethora, the trade in illegal small arms is often acknowledged to be widespread.

* Firearms, Ammunition, Explosive Articles and Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act, B.E. 2490 (1947)

* Munitions of War Control Act, B.E. 2530 (1987)

* Decree on the Export Control of Armaments and Material, B.E. 2535 (1992)

* Order of the National Administrator Reform Committee No.37 (October 1976)

* Ministerial Regulation No.12 (1981), issued under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Firearm Equivalents Act 1947

* Ministerial Regulation No.1 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37

* Ministerial Regulation No.2 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37

* Ministerial Regulation No.3 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37

* Ministerial Regulation No.4 (1977), issued under the Order of the National 3

* Administrative Reform Committee No. 37

* Act Controlling Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms No.4 (1967)

* Notification of the Ministry of Interior. Appointment of Registrars, Officers and Officials under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act 1947

In summary, a foreigner in Thailand is unable to carry a firearm, without express permission, which is very rarely granted. For a Thai citizen, they must show themselves to be good members of the community, show cause for issuance of the licence, and I seem to recall show or pay a specific sum {see below} for a firearm licence to be provided. As in other countries the regulations specify class of weapon, including shot-guns, small bore rifles, hand guns etc..

From a report submitted by the Thai authorities to the UN, in 2005:-

Any person who desires to possess small arms (pistols) must obtain permission from the authorities concerned. In Bangkok, the Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police is responsible for granting permit licenses of gun possession. An inter-agency, committee, comprising agencies such as the Office of Narcotics Control Board, the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Defence, the Office of the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, will be set up to verify the qualification of each applicant. Then, the persons who have authority to grant permit license are the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police and provincial governors. Permit licenses can be cancelled any time when the licensee is proven to have committed a crime or to have used guns inappropriately. The person whose license was cancelled will never be granted a permit license again.

The Ministry of Interior released the ministerial order on 29 May 2003 to suspend the permit license granting for all types of rifle temporarily due to the increasing number of crime cases caused by small arms and according to the government policy to suppress firearms, illegal arms, and organised crime. Such authorisation must be given by the Minister of Defence.

For a civilian who wishes to obtain a possessing license, he/she has to be over 35 years old and possess a saving account more than 1 million Baht at least 6 months. In case an applicant for a permit license owns a business or is a company manager, the registered capital must be at least 10 million Baht. In addition, this act states that any government officer who desires to carry government issued guns and ammunitions out of the office in a non-emergency case has to ask for permission from the head of the agency, and must have the letter of permission at hand.

The Ministry of Interior has proposed new Amnesty Act to exempt penalties to any person possessing illegal arms in order to help reduce the number of illegal arms possession in the country. At present, this Act has not yet been endorsed but is in the final review process.{2005, don't recall that it happened} However, Thailand has enacted the Amnesty Acts six times in the past, namely, in 1948, 1958, 1975, 1987, 1992 and 2000.

Curtesy of A traveller Thai Visa

I stand by what I said in my other post. If I thought that I needed to have or carry a gun for protection I would move!

I lived in HH for around a year and moved when it started to get mad.

As they say here " UP TO YOU "

Me I like to live without stres and worry :o

Edited by H2oDunc

An overview of the framework is below, though despite this plethora, the trade in illegal small arms is often acknowledged to be widespread.

* Firearms, Ammunition, Explosive Articles and Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act, B.E. 2490 (1947)

* Ministerial Regulation No.12 (1981), issued under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Firearm Equivalents Act 1947

* Ministerial Regulation No.1 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37

* Ministerial Regulation No.2 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37

* Ministerial Regulation No.3 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37

* Act Controlling Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms No.4 (1967)

* Notification of the Ministry of Interior. Appointment of Registrars, Officers and Officials under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act 1947

In summary, a foreigner in Thailand is unable to carry a firearm, without express permission, which is very rarely granted. For a Thai citizen, they must show themselves to be good members of the community, show cause for issuance of the licence, and I seem to recall show or pay a specific sum {see below} for a firearm licence to be provided. As in other countries the regulations specify class of weapon, including shot-guns, small bore rifles, hand guns etc..

Any person who desires to possess small arms (pistols) must obtain permission from the authorities concerned. In Bangkok, the Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police is responsible for granting permit licenses of gun possession. An inter-agency, committee, comprising agencies such as the Office of Narcotics Control Board, the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Defence, the Office of the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, will be set up to verify the qualification of each applicant. Then, the persons who have authority to grant permit license are the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police and provincial governors. Permit licenses can be cancelled any time when the licensee is proven to have committed a crime or to have used guns inappropriately. The person whose license was cancelled will never be granted a permit license again.

The Ministry of Interior released the ministerial order on 29 May 2003 to suspend the permit license granting for all types of rifle temporarily due to the increasing number of crime cases caused by small arms and according to the government policy to suppress firearms, illegal arms, and organised crime. Such authorisation must be given by the Minister of Defence.

For a civilian who wishes to obtain a possessing license, he/she has to be over 35 years old and possess a saving account more than 1 million Baht at least 6 months. In case an applicant for a permit license owns a business or is a company manager, the registered capital must be at least 10 million Baht. In addition, this act states that any government officer who desires to carry government issued guns and ammunitions out of the office in a non-emergency case has to ask for permission from the head of the agency, and must have the letter of permission at hand.

The Ministry of Interior has proposed new Amnesty Act to exempt penalties to any person possessing illegal arms in order to help reduce the number of illegal arms possession in the country. At present, this Act has not yet been endorsed but is in the final review process.{2005, don't recall that it happened} However, Thailand has enacted the Amnesty Acts six times in the past, namely, in 1948, 1958, 1975, 1987, 1992 and 2000.

I stand by what I said in my other post. If I thought that I needed to have or carry a gun for protection I would move!

Me I like to live without stres and worry :o

The licence we got accompinied the gun...all signed for by the police.... that was earlier this year

I know that HH is getting like ddge city .....

If you're talking about Hua Hin, can you please explain what you're talking about? I don't know.

What do you mean dodge city? What do you know about the term?

I'm concerned cause I'm here. Are you talking gangs? What?

Hi All,

please can someone tell me what the Thai Law say regarding owning and carrying a gun ?

It will be realy apreciatet if someone can aswer me this question.

Thanks in advance.

LG,

Chang Noi

I have a shot gun license, but at the time I was a permanent resident living in rather a remote part of Thailand. I am quite sure a non permanent resident living in a built up area would not get a licence. If your wife is Thai she may be able to get one with good reasons for it. Better get a nice big dog!

A nice big dog that can dodge bullets ... IMO much better!

There are also some great Surveilance Kits with wireless cams and with flood lights and short burst warnings in alarm boxes...

and if your into redesigning your own house, try adding a safe room if it really concerns people..

I have seen that house raids are getting rather common in the BKK media with the latest last week killing an entire chinese family of 5 just for a few baht, the maid apparently let them in as they posed as business associates. within seconds she was dead and so was the rest of the family until none were left standing.

So ask yourselves, will Guns save you when the maid opens the door or the nearest child is grabbed and held hostage, or some savvy thais have sneaked in broad daylight whilst the family is enjoying a meal or watching a loud action movie in surround sound. and even if they do, is the entire family in the same room? what is they pick individuals off one by one?

So unless your 'John Mclain'

Think smarter for 2009

The rotweiler insident last year saw a young 5 year old Farang/Thai girl ripped to shreds too, so one has to ask where fighting violence with violence really gets us?

I was broken into 2 years ago whilst i was upstairs on the computer, luckily it was just a laptop they grabbed and i heard them drop something so came flying down the stairs expecting a snake or lizard and amazed that i had infact been the victim of a robbery. I caught the guy and was reimbursed by his family for a new laptop after a visit to the police station.

After that locks on every door and garage, inside locks, secondary locks, locks on bedroom doors and a surveilance kit with appropriate lighting and cameras have done an adequate job of preventing other farang raiders from trying or succeeding again...

I know that HH is getting like ddge city .....

If you're talking about Hua Hin, can you please explain what you're talking about? I don't know.

What do you mean dodge city? What do you know about the term?

I'm concerned cause I'm here. Are you talking gangs? What?

Dodge city was an infamous town in the wild west of America. It became lawless amd people settled their disputes by shooting each other. hence HH is getting like dodge city. Many people have been shot and murdered there over the last few years and things are getting worse. There are other topics asking about getting permits to own and carry round a gun. AsI have said if I thought I needed to carry around a gun to defend myself I would move. I moved when they were just beating the crap out of each other. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Hi All,

please can someone tell me what the Thai Law say regarding owning and carrying a gun ?

Thanks in advance.

LG,

Chang Noi

My girlfriend since 6 years is thai. To get her first lisence to purchase a gun 5 years ago she had to provide

1. Her Tabien Baan and had to be registered there for at least 6 months.

2. Copy of bankaccounts with more than 1 mill baht for more than 6 months.

3. Land deeds in her name for more than 6 months.

When purchasing the gun in Bkk, the actual gun and the purchase lisence is registered by a spesial police office. The gun dealer normally takes you there when purchase completed. Back home you bring the documents (purchase lisence and gundocs) to Amphur, and they provide you with a permanent license. The fees are less than 2.000 baht.

She repeated above 3 years ago, because I always kept the gun. And she wanted something smaller than a Glock 19. So she now has 2 lisenced guns. Its legal for me to use her gun in self defense within our properties. using it from car in self defense when transporting more than 100K is also legal for me to do.

License to foreigner is rarely issued, unless recommended by army or police spesial investigating unit.

The gun is for protection of life and private property/residence. If you bring 100K to the bank you are allowed to bring the gun in car, not motorbike. Gun must be transported separate from bullets. The lisensce is for max 10 bullets in gun (Glock19 can take 16 but that would be illegal). But you can bring several mags with 10 bullets each as long as they are separated from the gun (gun in glovecompartment bullets/mags in trunk)

Glock is assembled in Thailand, so low tax makes it rather inexpensive at 65.000 baht. Her fancy S&W titanium is like 120.000 baht

My girlfriend since 6 years is thai. To get her first lisence to purchase a gun 5 years ago she had to provide

How old was your girlfriend?

and

What province did you apply for the license in?

Edited by madjbs

How old was your girlfriend?

and

What province did you apply for the license in?

She was 25 at first application, in Phuket (Muang). Patong (Kathu) residents are not issued licenses. We also have a home in Hua Hin, and I know the drill is the same there.

Sir,

For gun buying licensing, the "Thai citizens" have to contact the Ministry of Interior. oir BKK resident please visit:

www.dopa.go.th

You have to submit the document at one of their office near Nangleang horse racing track in BKK. For provincial resident the office is District Administration (Ampore Office).

I actually strongly recommend you to visit

It's the best Thai gun web site and information there is mostly reliable.

To buy gun:

1. Fill up Por.1 form at your responsible office. You have to specify the type, caliber, and the provice you the gun shop you intend to buy from registered. ie. " A .38 revolver from gunshop in Bangkok" of "A .22 rifle"

2. Get Por.3, the buying permit

3. Use Por.3 to buy gun at the shop

4. Get for Por.4, the gun license. The shop will process it for you

Remarks:

1. You have to go through the same process everytime to get a new one

2. You can not carry. In practice conceal carry of unloaded gun WITH a copy of license to the shooting range during reasonable time of the day is OK BUT the owner has to accompany the gun all the time. You can not borrow one even from you partner who live in the same house..

3. The license lasts for a life time

4. The gun shop may help you on the process but avoid one that say rubbish like there is grade A and B gun. Compare the price from shop to shop

Personal qualification and documents needed:

1. Thai citizen who has registered in one certain adress for at least 6 months

2. 20 years of age

3. Standard document ID / Resident registration

4. Evidence of work

5. Evidences of asset such as copy of bank account etc.

6. Other documnent the officer may ask

For foreigner, actually, there is a channel to buy a gun in your name. You have to go through the same process with extra documents:

1. Recommendation letter from your embassy of your stay, work and need to get a gun

2. Recommendation letter from Thai government agency

PS: I am a Thai gov. officer and shooter

Thank you for the detailed information.

I have one question though.

Does it matter if you do not live at this address? What if you have been registered at one address in Bangkok for more than 6 months, but, you actually live at another place in Bangkok. Are you allowed to keep the gun at that other place?

Great to have it listed in english by a thai gov official. :)

As I understand you need to be registered as number one recident in Tabien Baan (master of the house). Is this correct?

I have also been explained it doesnt matter in which of you properties you actually keep you gun. Is this correct too?

We are not involved in property devolpment any more, and dont need 2 guns any more. The S&W titanium is for sale. What are the proceedures?

Yes sir, it's just "Tabian Ban" with your name on for at least 6 months.

1. To get license, contact the District Office of you Tabian Ban or contact "dopa.go.th" for ALL BKK Tabian Ban. Like other matter here, bring along your Thai friend to do the talking, easier.

2. If you change Tabian Ban you suppose to notify the new District Office to give you new license of the new address. It's easy, once you have license, they have to issue the new one with update address automatically.

3. If you don't have matched Tabian Ban and gun license or store gun at different place, you get fined, I think 100 or 1,000 Baht, it's minor offence, no jail term involve.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

LG,

Chang Noi

When purchasing the gun in Bkk, the actual gun and the purchase lisence is registered by a spesial police office. The gun dealer normally takes you there when purchase completed. Back home you bring the documents (purchase lisence and gundocs) to Amphur, and they provide you with a permanent license. The fees are less than 2.000 baht.

She repeated above 3 years ago, because I always kept the gun. And she wanted something smaller than a Glock 19. So she now has 2 lisenced guns. Its legal for me to use her gun in self defense within our properties. using it from car in self defense when transporting more than 100K is also legal for me to do.

License to foreigner is rarely issued, unless recommended by army or police spesial investigating unit.

The gun is for protection of life and private property/residence. If you bring 100K to the bank you are allowed to bring the gun in car, not motorbike. Gun must be transported separate from bullets. The lisensce is for max 10 bullets in gun (Glock19 can take 16 but that would be illegal). But you can bring several mags with 10 bullets each as long as they are separated from the gun (gun in glovecompartment bullets/mags in trunk)

Glock is assembled in Thailand, so low tax makes it rather inexpensive at 65.000 baht. Her fancy S&W titanium is like 120.000 baht

It's the Thai Law that farangs can not own or carry gun, sure someone here will site the exact reference to you. In my humble opinion this is a good law there are so many insane local with guns out there why add a few crazy: ill temper( :D:)??) Farangs to the fix. For the safety of the general public I applaud this law :D

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

LG,

Chang Noi

Thanks for your information. Can you tell me where they sell these 65.000 glocks. I have been calling some of these shops out of the gun magazine, "no have", ore not to friendly and a much higher price. My wife already has a permit so now we have to buy a gun within 6 months in BKK. Do you also have an idea how much 9 mm ammunition cost. Do you think it will be for allowed to use the gun within a proper shooting range as well? Thanks for a reply.

Sir,

For gun buying licensing, the "Thai citizens" have to contact the Ministry of Interior. oir BKK resident please visit:

www.dopa.go.th

You have to submit the document at one of their office near Nangleang horse racing track in BKK. For provincial resident the office is District Administration (Ampore Office).

I actually strongly recommend you to visit

It's the best Thai gun web site and information there is mostly reliable.

To buy gun:

1. Fill up Por.1 form at your responsible office. You have to specify the type, caliber, and the provice you the gun shop you intend to buy from registered. ie. " A .38 revolver from gunshop in Bangkok" of "A .22 rifle"

2. Get Por.3, the buying permit

3. Use Por.3 to buy gun at the shop

4. Get for Por.4, the gun license. The shop will process it for you

Remarks:

1. You have to go through the same process everytime to get a new one

2. You can not carry. In practice conceal carry of unloaded gun WITH a copy of license to the shooting range during reasonable time of the day is OK BUT the owner has to accompany the gun all the time. You can not borrow one even from you partner who live in the same house..

3. The license lasts for a life time

4. The gun shop may help you on the process but avoid one that say rubbish like there is grade A and B gun. Compare the price from shop to shop

Personal qualification and documents needed:

2. 20 years of age

3. Standard document ID / Resident registration

4. Evidence of work

5. Evidences of asset such as copy of bank account etc.

6. Other documnent the officer may ask

For foreigner, actually, there is a channel to buy a gun in your name. You have to go through the same process with extra documents:

1. Recommendation letter from your embassy of your stay, work and need to get a gun

2. Recommendation letter from Thai government agency

PS: I am a Thai gov. officer and shooter

Thanks for your useful message. My wife already has the permit. We have to buy the gun in BKK. We wanted a shotgun, but she can only have a permit (permission to buy a 9mm handgun). But now where? For example www.kamolrat.com has very reasonable prices, for example we are interested in a Baretta 4DXStarm 9 mm 42.000 b at this shop. But somehow this seems to be for only public servants? Do you know a shop that offers simular prices ore is there a way around this??

Thanks for a reply.

Thanks for your information. Can you tell me where they sell these 65.000 glocks. I have been calling some of these shops out of the gun magazine, "no have", ore not to friendly and a much higher price. My wife already has a permit so now we have to buy a gun within 6 months in BKK. Do you also have an idea how much 9 mm ammunition cost. Do you think it will be for allowed to use the gun within a proper shooting range as well? Thanks for a reply.

Bkk, Chinatown. All the gundealers are in this same area. Like 40-50 of them. Calling is no point, they will only give you a decent price face to face when see your license and cash. They are often sold out, so expect to visit several shops.

Beretta is similar price, but larger and more heavy.

Guns in LOS have to prices, one taxfree for Police and one for others. 65-75k should do.

Or you can buy my girlfriends S&W Titanium. PM if interested

Ammunition 9mm from 10-25 baht. Check price in your shootingrange.

• 5 weeks later...

Me I like to live without stres and worry :)

I got a shotgun license without much trouble. It had to be approved by the head of my Amphur who interviewed me. But it was about 30 years ago and I was a permanent resident at the time. I think the rules might have changed by then. But I am sure that only a foreigner who has permanent residence may be able to get a license,