<250 Tax Rules

LivinLOS

I asked this before and didnt get anywhere.. Does anybody know ??

The rules for 250cc machines import duty have changed and they can now be legally imported and registered ??

Whats the catch ??

Only for new vehicles ??

Was discussing with someone who is moving here and has a Vespa 250 (GT ?? GTS ??) that he would like to have the same here.. He would buy new again if the second hand machine cannot be legally imported.

If the <250 tax has really been dropped, whats the hidden catch to doing this.

^ Hi LivinLOS,

My understanding is that elimination of duty on <250cc only applies to new vehicles. I posted the document once a long time ago... Used vehicles imported into Thailand are still subject to tax and duty based on their assessed value.

Happy Trails!

Tony

So he can buy a new one.. Have it shipped here and its easy to register ???

Or does it fall back into tea money hel_l of vehicle inspections and type assessment ?? Basically a non starter for an easy life.

No guarantee at all that it will be easy to register!

You need permission ahead of time to import the vehicle. Forget from which dept.

Then, once the vehicle arrives it needs to pass the vehicle inspection and strict Thai emissions test. (Yes, I know how totally silly that sounds...) I don't know anything about new Vespas, but if they pollute anything like the old ones then there is no way it will pass the Thai emissions test.

Best to talk to an importer to get a feel for real costs and obstacles BEFORE shipping anything.

Do you recall a recent thread where a guy shipped his bike from the UK without doing any research ahead of time and in the end he was unable to clear customs. He had the choice of walking away or shipping the bike elsewhere. Not sure what he ended up doing...

Then, once the vehicle arrives it needs to pass the vehicle inspection and strict Thai emissions test. (Yes, I know how totally silly that sounds...) I don't know anything about new Vespas, but if they pollute anything like the old ones then there is no way it will pass the Thai emissions test.

The new 250 models are FI and meet all USA / Cali type emissions..

However the fact it needs to be done on a per vehicle basis and includes options for failure / tea money is the reason I will advise him to forget it..

Do you recall a recent thread where a guy shipped his bike from the UK without doing any research ahead of time and in the end he was unable to clear customs. He had the choice of walking away or shipping the bike elsewhere. Not sure what he ended up doing...

Of course.. Tho that wasnt a sub 250cc machine (or if it was I dont think he mentioned it)..

I had remembered someone talking about the Honda CBF250 a year or so ago and claiming how it could be imported for just a couple of 1000 baht in costs..