Emirates Seating

jackspratt

Emirates currently have a very good deal flying from Singapore to Melbourne.

However I have read some pretty bad reviews of the economy seats on their 777 - 300s, which are configured 3 - 4 - 3, whereas virtually all other airline's 777s are 3 - 3 - 3.

What are the impressions of TV members who have flown Emirates economy (specifically seating - I understand everything else is fine).

I am over 6ft tall, and close to 100kg.

Thanks

Hi, I'm a gold card member with Emirates flying to and from the UK 5-6 times per year to BKK.

Everything ozfarang81 says is spot on.

Once you have booked and received your booking code you can chose your seat under the manage my booking tab on the website. I always go for the bulkhead seats as far forward as possible either 17C or 17H on the 777 300, or if it is a 777 300ER then I go for 8C or 8H, the bulkhead only comes across the two seats nearest the fuselage giving you unrestricted legroom. The only drawback for some people are they are beside the bassinet seats, no big deal for myself.

Other people swear by the aft seats when they reduce to two across at the rear of the aircraft. All the emergency exit row seats are allocated at the airport and are not available to reserve online.

It really depends on the specific aircraft seat configuration on the day, they sometimes swap aircraft at the last minute.

Hope this is of some help, if you need anymore info just ask.

Have a good trip. :o

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Edited by Mr Conrad

Thanks for your quick responses.

My main concern, due to the seat configuration, was the width of the seats - 17". I then had a look at some other airlines - SQ, TG and MH, and they are all 17" in economy.

I have to say I'm quite disgusted at the size of these seats, i've just got my tape measure out and I'm not a large person, my bum is not wide but I would only still have about 1.5 inches either side of me! I love flying but only until I sit own, then I realise that the seats are pathetic.

Still, 1st class is just too expensive :o

Emirates squeeze in another economy seat on their 777-300s. Most airlines go 3-3-3 but EK go 3-4-3. More profit for them means less comfort for you.

just booked with emarites and the wife and I saved 500 bucks ,compared with any other airline from sydney to BKK .for that price I would sit on a box.

anther idea I have had is people should be checked in with there weight plus bags,eg I am 70kgs ,so why should I pay excess baggage for 2 kilos over when some fat bastard is twice my weight and pays the same ticket price .the future should be bags plus weight of passenger .bad luck fattys.

Emirates currently have a very good deal flying from Singapore to Melbourne.

However I have read some pretty bad reviews of the economy seats on their 777 - 300s, which are configured 3 - 4 - 3, whereas virtually all other airline's 777s are 3 - 3 - 3.

What are the impressions of TV members who have flown Emirates economy (specifically seating - I understand everything else is fine).

I am over 6ft tall, and close to 100kg.

Thanks

Been on a few that are 2-5-2 and 2-4-2 like American Airlines and Korean Airlines

Have now done the Sing - Melbourne leg.

Seats are no better or worse than other full cost carriers, including comfort, legroom and width.

Entertainment system and food better than SQ (generally my preferred choice) in my opinion.

Power point for laptop in every seat, although I didn't use mine - see comment above re entertainment system.

Flight was jam packed.

Emirates squeeze in another economy seat on their 777-300s. Most airlines go 3-3-3 but EK go 3-4-3. More profit for them means less comfort for you.

just booked with emarites and the wife and I saved 500 bucks ,compared with any other airline from sydney to BKK .for that price I would sit on a box.

anther idea I have had is people should be checked in with there weight plus bags,eg I am 70kgs ,so why should I pay excess baggage for 2 kilos over when some fat bastard is twice my weight and pays the same ticket price .the future should be bags plus weight of passenger .bad luck fattys.

I agree, check out this article in NZHerald this am. 23/04/09

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/ar...jectid=10568191

Power point for laptop in every seat, although I didn't use mine - see comment above re entertainment system.

Even in economy?

Not sure about the 777-300's unless they have had the economy class upgrade..

http://emirates.com/th/English/flying/cabi...nomy_seats.aspx

Emirates now offers a new generation of ergonomically designed Economy Class seating on selected aircraft. With extra recline and more space under every seat, Emirates economy now means more comfort for every passenger.

The new generation seats also feature over 900 channels of ice movies, audio and TV on a 10.6" screen. An in-seat power supply and a USB connection allow passengers to view videos and pictures from their laptops or portable devices

but would guess the on the new a380 flights on June 1, this will be standard.

Even in economy?

Nope not in economy, But the flight attendants will be more then happy to charge it for you....

Gotta love business Class in Emirates...

Emirates seating is very uncomfortable compared to say Etihad, the lumber support is like concrete and they removed the footrests , when you are sat your feet cannot touch the floor

very narrow also.

onw time my seat was moving , the padded part actually slid off.

Another reason why I changed to Etihad.

My problems with economy with most carriers is when the person infornt reclines their seat. I am 188cm and I often en up with the seat resting on my knees.

I have ended up just paying the difference for Business nowdays even if out of my own pocket as I hate to fly so may as well fly comfortably.

Even in economy?

Nope not in economy, But the flight attendants will be more then happy to charge it for you....

There was what looked very like a 3 pin power point next to the screen for the inflight entertainment, both for my seat, and the seat next to me.

I assume it was for supplying power (it was even labeled "110 volts"), but did not plug the lappy in as I was happy with the ICE system.

http://www.emirates.com/sg/English/flying/...nomy_seats.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
Have now done the Sing - Melbourne leg.

Seats are no better or worse than other full cost carriers, including comfort, legroom and width.

Entertainment system and food better than SQ (generally my preferred choice) in my opinion.

Flight was jam packed.

Return flight now completed. I must say my initial high praise based on the Sing - Mel leg is now a bit muted. I had all sorts of problems getting a beer after dinner - it was probably my 3rd or 4th. Ignored the call button, and in fact kept switching it off from the galley, rather than serve me. And no, I wasn't p1ssed :)

I have never had such a problem with SQ - or any other FCC for that matter.

Yes why did Emirates remove all their footrests???

Bloody uncomfortable when the seat edge digs into your backlegs.

Its got to the stage im trying to devise a way to suspend my feet under the seat in front. If im flying with a friend i can actually sit in the "buddha" position quite comfortably. (need to be with a friend as you "steal" a little of their space.

Its not uncommon to see people sit their feet on the 2 armrest in front of them just to get comfortable.

1 tip is that you will be squashed on your bkk leg but on your local leg why not book the rear 2 4 2 seats as there is a good chance that most will be empty and you may get 4 seats to yourself.

1 scam to watch out for is if you get there late and someone steals the seat beside you ...but you cant really prove its not theirs. One time i had seat G and there was 2 people in D,E leaving seat F empty. Now i should have had lots of room and a free neighbouring seat but arriving later than Mrs D & E i had found that Mrs E had sneaked into free F. Difficult situation to deal with.....what do you do?

1 scam to watch out for is if you get there late and someone steals the seat beside you ...but you cant really prove its not theirs. One time i had seat G and there was 2 people in D,E leaving seat F empty. Now i should have had lots of room and a free neighbouring seat but arriving later than Mrs D & E i had found that Mrs E had sneaked into free F. Difficult situation to deal with.....what do you do?

Another top tip if travelling on Emirates, is to casually ask the check-in or ground staff if the flight is 'full today' if not grab a seat with the extra leg room and wait to be moved. Most times the Bassinet baby seats are unoccupied.

Edited by syd barrett

Another top tip if travelling on Emirates, is to casually ask the check-in or ground staff if the flight is 'full today' if not grab a seat with the extra leg room and wait to be moved. Most times the Bassinet baby seats are unoccupied.

one thing I always do is go online and select my seat from the seat map (manage my booking). if you do this early enough, you can grab the bulk head row with more leg room. furthermore, in the days leading up to the departure, you can change your seat according to how full the plane is looking.

The 777 was designed to be a 9 abreast seater. 2-5-2 was Boeing's idea. However most airlines prefered the 3-3-3 arrangement. Emirates found a way to sit another passenger. Their seats are leather though. Maybe not leather but PVC or similar. Not that carpet stuff.

The 777 was designed to be a 9 abreast seater. 2-5-2 was Boeing's idea. However most airlines prefered the 3-3-3 arrangement. Emirates found a way to sit another passenger. Their seats are leather though. Maybe not leather but PVC or similar. Not that carpet stuff.

Leather seats? Don't think so. Even on the A380 they are cloth.