Can I Use My Pc From Another Room ?

ThaiLife

At home I am using a netbook running windows XP , connected to an external 20 inch monitor which is situated in a spare bed room . I also have a High specification desk top PC running Windows Media Center , which is situated in my daughters bed room, which she uses to play games and schooling. I now want to try out a few things which really need the better specification of the desk top PC . I really don't want to just swap the netbook for the PC, so I was wondering if theres a way I could remotely use the desk top PC in my daughters bed room , from the spare bed room where my netbook is used ?, So I would be sitting in the spare bed room , have a monitor and keybord , but accessing the desk top PC in my daughters bed room . Any thoughts on this would be most welcome .

At home I am using a netbook running windows XP , connected to an external 20 inch monitor which is situated in a spare bed room . I also have a High specification desk top PC running Windows Media Center , which is situated in my daughters bed room, which she uses to play games and schooling. I now want to try out a few things which really need the better specification of the desk top PC . I really don't want to just swap the netbook for the PC, so I was wondering if theres a way I could remotely use the desk top PC in my daughters bed room , from the spare bed room where my netbook is used ?, So I would be sitting in the spare bed room , have a monitor and keybord , but accessing the desk top PC in my daughters bed room . Any thoughts on this would be most welcome .

There are several ways. The easiest is probably to use Windows Remote Assistance to Remotely COntrol the desktop using yur notebook. Of Course you would need to use a wireless router but I am sure you have that allready.

As it is a media centre edition you are resticted in using Remote desktop connection

You could use third party remote access programs but be warned that theyopen up very large security holes and yuo should only activate them when you want to use them.

You could also use extender cables which allow you to use a remote keyboard mouse and screen but I do not think this is the best way.

Edited by harrry

There are several ways. The easiest is probably to use Windows Remote Assistance to Remotely COntrol the desktop using yur notebook. Of Course you would need to use a wireless router but I am sure you have that allready.

As it is a media centre edition you are resticted in using Remote desktop connection

You could use third party remote access programs but be warned that theyopen up very large security holes and yuo should only activate them when you want to use them.

You could also use extender cables which allow you to use a remote keyboard mouse and screen but I do not think this is the best way.

Thanks harrry, the room where I use the netbook is right next to the room where the PC is situated and there's only one wall in between, so could the '' extender '' cables be used in that case ? , are the extender cables a special type ?

With cables I was not meaning using the netbook.

Thanks harrry, the room where I use the netbook is right next to the room where the PC is situated and there's only one wall in between, so could the '' extender '' cables be used in that case ? , are the extender cables a special type ?

In this case a bluetooth or wireless (not infra red) keyboard and mouse would work.

THe Video cable could be a standard video cable plugged into the second monitor outlet of the video card if you have one. Just set up fior dual monitor display.

Or get your daughter to unplug her monitor and plug yours in. She probably would not like you having your screen able to see hers all the time.

Edited by harrry

Create another user on her machine for yourself and install the terminal server patch here, then use the windows remote desktop client on your machine to access hers (bump up the appearance settings if you like since you're on a lan). The patch will allow multiple connections, so anyone using the pc won't get logged out and won't be bothered. Your daughter can be using the PC and won't notice you're logged in as another user, unless you really tax the machine hard with cpu heavy tasks.

You won't be able to watch videos and such, that's not what RDP is designed for...