Conversations With Wife/gf

slapout

You can't have a conversation with a Thai woman about anything other than food or sleeping.

Anything else, outside these two vitally important functions, is a waste of time.

I think you need to meet some different Thai women.

which can't be found in the bar

Funny Thread... I bet 99.99% of farangs have met their wives at bars.. :o and 99% have lost a house or are about to loose a house to their Thai wife and/or their Thai husband that has been in the background all thi time and may have suddenly popped up! The other 0.01% have met their wife either at a wedding of a friend, party of a friend... and I'll bet they pretend never to have been in bangkok!

Where in my post did I say anything about bars, sh1thead?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP, the perspective of what goes on depends on where the Thai's are from. When the PAD were doing the disrupting. My wife's take on it was. "The red shirts are trying to kill the yellow shirts." I have learned to keep the topics simple.

Food, drink, Len Phai. The only time I discuss politics is to tell her to think for herself, and not vote for Joe Blogs as a Puy Yai just because her sister tells her to. Even that though brings out the standard, "You not Thai, you no understand." :o

Re the comment from someones other half about Southerners. The Southerners are just as insulting about Bangkok and the North East. Bangkok, "Speak soft speak lie." Issan according to my missus "Stupid, only vote/fight for money."

"You not Thai, you no understand."

Yea really, my favorite end to most differences of opinions. Yesterday was a classic example; my wife gives our recyclables to a wrinkled old man on a bicycle with a basket on his handlebars. He seperates and takes the newspapers, bottles, and cardboard boxes, then throws the plastic drink cups, plastic wrappers, small cardboard pieces in the dumpster. I prefer to give it all to a rather obese old woman that pushes a large cart. She accepts all of it and is so sincerely grateful every time. I like to refer to her as the "heavy industry" in our village. The wife got all worked up about my splitting the weeks worth of cardboard and bottles with the old man and the old woman, giving her all the other stuff he otherwise throws away. Using rediculous logic to explain my actions, she responded with "You are not Thai. You not understand Thai way" and walked away in a huff. Go figure!

Wife was glued to the Red Television channel for several days (yes she is supporter) When the army finally went in to stop the destruction and mayhem, the Red Channel speakers(sounded like baptist preachers), said that the army was killing people and hauling bodies away in trucks. (her translation to me) I pointed out CNN, BBC and the local Thai news were saying there were no deaths caused by the army. Her response was the Thai government lied to Thai Television. Me; Ok, what about International news? Thai government tell them to lie. Me; What about live video I am watching. Come and watch with me. NO, only Red Shirt television tells the truth. Thank bejesus they shut that crap station down. I can see the humor, but the wife is pissed at the world over this whole circle jerk.. Anyone have similar experience or am I the lone ranger?

No different to the people in the US (or here in LOS) who watch Fox News...something like 50% of them still believe that weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq and that Saddam Hussein was the mastermind of 9-11. Ignorance is bliss and found around the world.

I offered chesters grill 10 baht just for a small cup w ice, no soda. Manager said no deal it would screw up her accounting. She say its thai way, that i wouldnt understand.

Newbies to Thailand (and I see that at the least, you are a newbie to this Forum) always trot out this example of Thai silliness, stubbornness, stupidity or worse. What they don't understand is that places like 7-11 actually count the number of soda cups (and everything else in the store) per shift/day. If she sold you just the cup/ice (or gave away a cup w/ice when someone purchased a can of soda) without a corresponding soda fountain sale in the register, she will have a shortage in her till. It may also look like she "gave away" a free soda to a friend or something. (They cross-check sodas wrung-up in the register to the number of soda cups left at the end of the shift/day.)

Coming from the West, sure, places give away cups and ice without even thinking but here it's not the same.

And once and for all:

The protests of the yellows were against a "government" that didn't give a rat's ass about country and people but existed only to get one single person reinstated - Thaksin, a convicted criminal who is on the run from a jail sentence and doesn't have the guts to come "home" to even support the people who claim to represent him!! Also that "government" came to power exclusively by blatant vote buying and pressurizing smaller parties who originally didn't want to cooperate with them but were forced to do so, which has been observed by many people including myself with my very own eyes, and all they (that "government") attempted to do was change the constitution in such a way that vote-buying would have been more or less legal, THAT is why the yellows notched their activities up a bid to make sure that won't happen! And successful they were, they could block the "government's" activities long enough for the courts to rule and disband the cheater-party that was controlled and paid by Thaksin who is banned from politics and not even in Thailand!

Also the yellows didn't shoot down innocent bystanders or set fire to buses and buildings. They also didn't commandeer armoured army vehicles, threatened to blow up gas tankers beside apartment blocks or crashed an international summit to make Thailand, their country, the laughing stock of the world.

Yes, they did block roads - so did the reds. Yes, they did block airports - the reds didn't, but exactly how many did that particular activity kill? And those airports were NOT taken by force but simply "handed over" by the airport personnel who sympathized with the yellow movement. There was NO damage whatsoever to the airport, when PAD left it was probably cleaner than during daily operations!

Oh, and don't forget that the reds back then attacked the yellows, which resulted in death and injury. Exactly how many yellows attacked the reds in the latest clashes? Where there any yellows AT ALL present? I haven't seen any on television.

Yes i'm one-sided and biased, but that is because i love the TRUTH. And i detest violence from EITHER side, however when it comes to violence, the reds have it as their basic feature while the yellows resort to it in self defense only (and even then not on a scale like the reds).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanh, save your breath. You can talk til the buffalos come home and the people that oppose what you say will continue to do so. Even though I agree with you, just read the threads. Adament may be the proper word. :o

To the OP, the perspective of what goes on depends on where the Thai's are from. When the PAD were doing the disrupting. My wife's take on it was. "The red shirts are trying to kill the yellow shirts." I have learned to keep the topics simple.

Food, drink, Len Phai. The only time I discuss politics is to tell her to think for herself, and not vote for Joe Blogs as a Puy Yai just because her sister tells her to. Even that though brings out the standard, "You not Thai, you no understand." :o

Re the comment from someones other half about Southerners. The Southerners are just as insulting about Bangkok and the North East. Bangkok, "Speak soft speak lie." Issan according to my missus "Stupid, only vote/fight for money."

"You not Thai, you no understand."

Yea really, my favorite end to most differences of opinions. Yesterday was a classic example; my wife gives our recyclables to a wrinkled old man on a bicycle with a basket on his handlebars. He seperates and takes the newspapers, bottles, and cardboard boxes, then throws the plastic drink cups, plastic wrappers, small cardboard pieces in the dumpster. I prefer to give it all to a rather obese old woman that pushes a large cart. She accepts all of it and is so sincerely grateful every time. I like to refer to her as the "heavy industry" in our village. The wife got all worked up about my splitting the weeks worth of cardboard and bottles with the old man and the old woman, giving her all the other stuff he otherwise throws away. Using rediculous logic to explain my actions, she responded with "You are not Thai. You not understand Thai way" and walked away in a huff. Go figure!

My guess would be, the "rather obese old woman that pushes a large cart" would disagree with your wife. :D

Wife was glued to the Red Television channel for several days (yes she is supporter) When the army finally went in to stop the destruction and mayhem, the Red Channel speakers(sounded like baptist preachers), said that the army was killing people and hauling bodies away in trucks. (her translation to me) I pointed out CNN, BBC and the local Thai news were saying there were no deaths caused by the army. Her response was the Thai government lied to Thai Television. Me; Ok, what about International news? Thai government tell them to lie. Me; What about live video I am watching. Come and watch with me. NO, only Red Shirt television tells the truth. Thank bejesus they shut that crap station down. I can see the humor, but the wife is pissed at the world over this whole circle jerk.. Anyone have similar experience or am I the lone ranger?

No different to the people in the US (or here in LOS) who watch Fox News...something like 50% of them still believe that weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq and that Saddam Hussein was the mastermind of 9-11. Ignorance is bliss and found around the world.

Well said JohnDoe. I believe as times get harder, history has shown that people become more polarized and are much easily manipulated by the powers that be. Fox News is a great example, and its agenda is to do just that, manipulate people through a one sided view, a network owned by a billionaire pushing his world agenda. It's no different in LOS. Democracy is a great thing, but as Thomas Jefferson said, democracy can only thrive with an educated and well informed populace. Democracy is threatened when the populace are force fed one sided information, or do not have the ability to think for themselves and see through the manipulation.

It translates into institutionalizing injustice. Just ask a German about the Hitler Youth, or an American about the KKK racism in the name of God. People become blinded by what they hear and the forces around them, and become unable to think for themselves. I think this is so true for many in the US, as well as Thailand.

Then everyone loses.

Dont marry Thai women. Eat...have sex ...and pay the bill.

Anything more than that requires the ability to have a conversation. I have problems talking to Thai women about all major news events. When I mentioned that 300 people died and over 3000 people were injured because of drunken Songkran shenanigans...I was told..."you dont understand the Thai way". 300 CAN DIE...ITS OK. They were just celebrating the new year. That was their reply.

P.S. anyone have PVR freezing on playback problems?

Please tell me how to resolve this proble, Truevisions doesnt care...ITS THE THAI WAY!

Dont marry Thai women. Eat...have sex ...and pay the bill.

Anything more than that requires the ability to have a conversation. I have problems talking to Thai women about all major news events. When I mentioned that 300 people died and over 3000 people were injured because of drunken Songkran shenanigans...I was told..."you dont understand the Thai way". 300 CAN DIE...ITS OK. They were just celebrating the new year. That was their reply.

P.S. anyone have PVR freezing on playback problems?

Please tell me how to resolve this proble, Truevisions doesnt care...ITS THE THAI WAY!

I mentioned that to my wife, she responded with, "Som nam na. You drink, you pay. You ride motobi with no helmet, you pay." I was wondering, they total the accidents and deaths resulting during the actual days of Songkran, but not those resulting from the travel home from Songkran over the weekend?

We are in Spain just now, told the wife what was going on in Thailand she said ''what can I do,'' then '' what we eat tonight'' what can I say. :o

To put a more positive spin on this thread, this is what I love about many Thai people. A simple pragmatism that cuts to what is immediately important.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Another poster made a really good point as well, the OP's issue can be solved the same way many things can be here, always ask yourself "Would I do this at home?". If you wouldn't, why are you doing it here?

Therefore, aside from comments of where you met your wife or GF, I think the more important point is whether you would date/marry someone at home that:

-Has a polar opposite political opinion to yours (if you are politically minded)

-Is a (redneck/country bumpkin/person of low socio-economic status -- you choose the term), when you are more urbane and metropolitan, or the opposite

-Comes from a line of employment that you would never consider dating in the west

-Has family that you strongly dislike/don't understand

-Makes unreasonable demands that you would never agree to at home

-Has personality traits you would never accept at home

I could go on, but you get the idea. I often wonder why so many people overlook basic things like these here, especially when dealing with something as serious and life-altering as marriage? Some say that it is impossible to find girls like that here, I disagree, but if you think this, why are you still here putting up with them?

to put things even more in perspective: while getting a ride from a a woman on my kibbutz with my daughter sitting in the car we chatted about thailand, the riots, how it looks to us (israelis) etc. afterwards, she mentioned to my daughter (who thinks i am a crazy eccentric but nice mom) that to speak with me is more interesting then to most of the women on the kibbutz when the subject at hand is usually : the newest recipe for eggplant salad; or the amount of calories in the holiday walnut cake. -- definately not my conversation style.

thai husband would love to discuss politics. i hate politics along with 'ball (thai, israeli, or mondial champion league). i can spend hours discussing breeds of goats and the shape of an udder. guess that wouldnt interest most of you either?

thought so.

i'm sure most of u couldnt discuss the difference in octaves between the oud the saz and the phin either.

thought so.

and yes, we also have a policy at our hotel to not sell just cups w/o something in it, for the very same reasons (where did all the cups go, it costs money u know, doesnt tally in the register...) not all countries are run like YOUR COUNTRY and not all women are so exceedingly dull, and i would hope more men wouldnt be so dull either...

beer beer beer beer chopper ball beer....

bina

israel

You can't have a conversation with a Thai woman about anything other than food or sleeping.

Anything else, outside these two vitally important functions, is a waste of time.

I was going to say, don't forget money... but that's not a conversation...that's a demand... a waste of time... :o

My wifes dad died 2 years before she was born!! work that out!

Come on there is a simple explanation here see below, explains it all, does her Mum live in a glass tank in the house?

What is the longest animal pregnancy?

In: Animal Life

Longest Pregnancy 38 Months. Alpine Salamander of Southern Europe

What she really meant was that her dad died 2 year After she was born, its just a matter of tinglish,but shes coming along fine after 4 years, it was an answer to OPs post, i should make a real effort to improve my thai, but mrs thinks i will go chat to young girls?? so she wont help me!! i would think many of us falang have the same jealousy thing?