Jomtien Immigration Office.

VTSVIEW

Hi Guys!

It is time to renew my O-A visa, so Today I went to Immigration office in Jomtien to get some informations and a form, the guy at the information booth(white guy) in immigration office looked at my passport and told me that O-A is not a retirement visa and kept saying that even 15 years kid can get O-A, so stop calling it a retirement visa.

I did not think he was right but since he works at the immigration offcie, he should know what he is talking about. Now I am confused. Can you help?

Thanks and Happy Songkran!

Hi Guys!

It is time to renew my O-A visa, so Today I went to Immigration office in Jomtien to get some informations and a form, the guy at the information booth(white guy) in immigration office looked at my passport and told me that O-A is not a retirement visa and kept saying that even 15 years kid can get O-A, so stop calling it a retirement visa.

I did not think he was right but since he works at the immigration offcie, he should know what he is talking about. Now I am confused. Can you help?

Thanks and Happy Songkran!

He was wrong. It is for over 50,s only.

I thought the non immigrant O-A is the pre-approved retirement visa, issued at an embassy abroad, with which you get 1 year on arrival in Thailand.

i think they are being pendantic,as far as i know its not a retirement visa--but its what we all call it,so why doesnt he go with the flow .

This is the leading paragraph describing an O-A visa on the Washington DC website. It does not say "retirement" as you see itt says "Longstay" and I think this play on words is for a reason. As a person does not truly have to be "retired" to get this visa type. Only meet the requirements.

As for the OP's question about the info at Jomtein? The answer is correct as the O-A is not a "retirement" visa but wrong about the age requirement.

The OP does not say when the O-A expires or when the entry stamp expires so most here cannot give an exact answer. The OP should have a permission to stay entry stamp in his passport and that is what needs to be extended with the proper paperwork and other requirements.

This paragraph taken from the Washington DC website:

"Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

Purpose of Visit:-

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited."

No such thing as a retirement visa! you can get an extension of permission to stay based on over 50 plus all the requirements on income etc.

Not entirely correct, as the non immigrant O-A visa will give you 1 year straight away when entering Thailand. No need to get an extension!

Indeed it might not be called a retirement visa, but the 2 main criteria needed for applying is income/savings and age.

^ I would appear that the Jomtien Imm Off opened on the 16th, then the PM-in-hiding issued an edict extending Songkran in BKK and the Jomtien chaps jumped at the chance to take another day off.

They did tell you come back on the 16th and you chose to be distinctly Thai and go on the 17th where in turn, they decided to be distinctly Thai and took the day off.