Can I Get A Job In Thailand?

Hey all, Im just going to come straight out with it... I am a graphic designer and I want to move to Thailand to work and raise our soon to be present baby with my beautiful thai wife of 2 years.

Am I just kidding myself or have I got a chance?

Is it possible that my dream of moving over and working in a print company or similar possible?

Could it be, that some employers would consider taking me on and what do I need to make it happen?

I understand that more info about my situation will be required and will provide if anyone replies.

Any help would be more than appreciated. :o

Wow, thanks! Will apply now, do you know of any sites that I could check? I have already checked the job section on ThaiVisa.

Does anyone know what kind of nightmarish procedures I will have to face trying to get a work visa? Or is it a case that if I get a job, I an get a visa easier?

I've operated a company in Bangkok for 10 years. We've always had two or three graphic designers on our team who worked together with our technical staff. The typical salary ranges somewhere between 10k and 30k ($280 - $840 per month) . You might be able to negotiate a higher salary if you have foreign language skills or special expertise.

Probably there aren't too many graphic design positions open to foreigners since this is one field where the Thai labour market has many qualified people. It will be especially hard in the current economic climate.

I am not saying this to dishearten you. But in the long run it would probably be better (=financially more attractive) to bring your own clients from abroad and either work self employed or start up a small business in Thailand.

Cheers, CMX

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

Wow, thanks! Will apply now, do you know of any sites that I could check? I have already checked the job section on ThaiVisa.

Does anyone know what kind of nightmarish procedures I will have to face trying to get a work visa? Or is it a case that if I get a job, I an get a visa easier?

There is no such thing as a work visa in Thailand, to get a work permit, you have to have a job offer first.

In your circumstances (ie Thai wife) you basically have two routes you could go...1. Non-imm O visa based on marriage and once getting a job offer a WP could be issued against this (some companies dont like going this route)...2. Job offer...get an non-imm B visa and WP.

If you are offered a job by a reputable company who are experienced in dealing with WP's, the process is pretty painless provided the company knows what they are doing, costs you a little time running around a bit, but nothing serious..

If you are not in country you may find getting a job from outside Thailand quite difficult unless you know somebody who can pull strings for you.

In terms of the print media, jobs that are open to non-Thai applicants are few and far between. I see two or three a month, and in six months I can only recall seeing two design-related positions. There are something like 40-50 English language print publications in Thailand so opportunities are extremely limited, and are reducing all the time.

CMX's advice is good. Consider bringing your own clients from overseas if you can.

Magazine and print industry is on death watch - it wont exist in a few years.

If you're good and have a portfolio to back it up theres a possibility of being a freelancer. I know a couple of guys here that do corporate branding / brochures / websites etc that is streets ahead of anything local. They do ok but they have a large contact pool to draw from. It will be difficult starting out.

it will be quite difficult. i have tried getting a job as a graphic designer before but due to minimum wage required for foreigners most companies have rejected me. most foreigners must get over 40,000baht/month (US$ 1,100).

since they don't really care whether the graphic designer can speak english or not language skill is not very necessary.

with 40,000baht/month most companies can hire 2 decent graphic designers who are thai. also, by hiring thais the company does not have to pay for the visa and work permit. ALSO, if the law haven't changed, for every 1 foreigner the company hires, the company has to have 4 thai full-time employees. 4 to 1 ratio. a lot of the designing companies use part-time employees. so if that company already has a couple of foreigners.. the company may not want another foreigner.

i agree with the previous post... you should bring ur client list. finding a job in thailand is not very easy at the moment; especially as a graphic designer. i ended up changing my career path just to get a permanent job.

you most probably have a better chance in being an editor than a graphic designer. (editors get more pay, thus the minimum wage set for foreigners won't be a restriction)

good luck

Magazine and print industry is on death watch - it wont exist in a few years.

Uh, graphic design is a growing industry these days because of a little thing called "the internet."

...that's killing hardcopy magazines and newspapers due to rapid move of advertising online.

Struggling and stumbling , an example of it, reported here.

If you're good and have a portfolio to back it up theres a possibility of being a freelancer. I know a couple of guys here that do corporate branding / brochures / websites etc that is streets ahead of anything local. They do ok but they have a large contact pool to draw from. It will be difficult starting out.

And how would this address his question on work permits ??....He would need to set up his own company etc with all the normal issues that go with setting up a company, which I dont think this is what the OP is asking ??

Ok, ill go a little more in-depth, I am a print designer originally but will be spending the next year on multimedia design and will have an extensive portfolio when we decide to head back over there next year. I guess what I would like to know is if it is easy to join the workforce there as a farang. I wont have the capital to start a business of my own and will be going out with little more than a few of friends and family to help.

I guess I will be hoping that I land something out of contacts or maybe stumble on something while im there.. but I know thats unrealistic.

I originally hoped I would be able to work, via the net, as a freelance designer/illustrator (I am, I like to think, good enough but am wary of the demand) but I know from my job right now, that companies dont favour out-of-house-designers.

How can it be done?...

Sorry but most likely it can't be done. To get a job here would require some contacts that can do you a favor and give you a job and pay you double compared to locals to facilitate work permit.

As other said graphic designers salaries are there in 20k per month range so you would do better teaching english. Setting up your own company would be the way to go but without capital and skills running a business it seems a no go as well.

Going freelance over internet is an option providing there is enough work around. Although it is illegal without company set-up and work permit many seem to do it here.

I'm getting a work permit for an expat now. In addition to the 4:1 ratio I think the minimum salary is 60,000 (I pay a web designer 28,000 now) and there are capitalization requirements of 2M baht per WP. The capital requirement to start the company was 3M so to get this WP I had to pay up another 1M. Even if I had the staff ratio to hire another expat paying up 2M + the salary makes it difficult.

I'd focus on freelance mostly outside of Thailand and start doing that now. Check out elance.com or guru.com and any number of freelance sites. You'd have to just hustle and do a lot of work to build a freelance business but people do it. All my writers and editors are freelance and some have steady work from me every month. I also recommend that you tune up your web and online skills and portfolio.

Good luck

Unfortunately for you Thai's are quite adept at graphic design and Farangs typically find work where there are a lack of Thai's who can do the task. Actually I've met many Thai's who are pretty clever at hardware and software in general. Your best bet would be to do some freelancing if you can find a way to make it legal.

Edited by wasabi

QUOTE "Valjean: I'm getting a work permit for an expat now. In addition to the 4:1 ratio I think the minimum salary is 60,000 (I pay a web designer 28,000 now) and there are capitalization requirements of 2M baht per WP."

================================================================================

I thought that if the foreigner like the OP is married to a Thai the requirments are only 2M Bath per WP.

And you only need 2:1 ratio for a him.

One of the very few advantages of being married to a Thai.

Edited by brianinbangkok

I guess I will be hoping that I land something out of contacts or maybe stumble on something while im there.. but I know thats unrealistic.

Perhaps not so unrealistic, my friends and I, who have all managed to live out here for the last 5 years, have all done so with jobs obtained through contacts "we stumbled upon" whilst we were here, two of which are doing very well in the exact field you are wanting to work in.

Anything is possible.....good luck!

Hey all, Im just going to come straight out with it... I am a graphic designer and I want to move to Thailand to work and raise our soon to be present baby with my beautiful thai wife of 2 years.

Is it possible that my dream of moving over and working in a print company or similar possible?

Could it be, that some employers would consider taking me on and what do I need to make it happen?

I understand that more info about my situation will be required and will provide if anyone replies.

Hit the streets and the classifieds in the Bangkok Post and The Nation, I'm fairly sure there are companies in the Big Mango(Bangkok) that could use you talent/skills, most will assist you in get the old work permit to work for their company. Good Luck and congratulation on baby that is on the way.(boy or girl)?

If you are willing to look at alternative careers then you will have a better chance at a job. Of the people I have known that arrived in Thailand looking for work, 100% of them found a good job with a little hard work and common sense. Thailand is no different to any other country.

Just looking at a few of the above responses it seems that people have preconceived ideas about employment in Thailand for farangs, i.e. that is it very difficult to find a job and you must have certain profession or Thais can do the same job and you would, at best have to work for a Thai salary. Through networking etc. I have come across many people looking for work and those that have succeeded (some spectacularly so) are those that get their head down, and look at any option or opportunity, go out networking, meet lots of people and be as friendly and accommodating as possible.

The people that fail are those that already have a negative attitude, make little effort, drink too much and expect that someone will find them a job. It's not rocket science.

one doesnt go the stumbling route when one has a baby to take care of.

"One" wasn't asking about the best way to take care of his baby.

I would keep my job here until I had something concrete lined up somewhere else.

These are all just enquiries and I would never put my family at risk by just up and moving to somewhere without being fully prepared.

Hit the streets and the classifieds in the Bangkok Post and The Nation, I'm fairly sure there are companies in the Big Mango(Bangkok) that could use you talent/skills, most will assist you in get the old work permit to work for their company. Good Luck and congratulation on baby that is on the way.(boy or girl)?

Haa thanks for the optimistic response! I know being realistic is the best way to think but I love keeping a fire lit under some thoughts.

On the baby front, we dont know yet, but not too sure if she wants to know before its born. Will let you all know!!! HAAAHAAA

I would keep my job here until I had something concrete lined up somewhere else.

These are all just enquiries and I would never put my family at risk by just up and moving to somewhere without being fully prepared.

then y u repeat what i said. only a fool would come here w a baby and no job lined up.

then y u repeat what i said. only a fool would come here w a baby and no job lined up.

So are you accusing me of something or just making random statements?

Haa thanks for the optimistic response! I know being realistic is the best way to think but I love keeping a fire lit under some thoughts.

On the baby front, we dont know yet, but not too sure if she wants to know before its born. Will let you all know!!! HAAAHAAA

Most jobs advertised in the Bangkok Post and Nation are for Thais, not foreigners. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but for the line of work you are hoping for, I very much doubt you will find anything legal. Thai people can do the same job for less, so why would they employ you? Going back to my point about jobs for Thai people - even when the vacancies are being advertised in English, in an English language newspaper - don't assume that only foreigners read these papers. I met a recruitment agent who always advertised in English - never stating "Thai nationality only" - but told me that all foreign applicants were ignored and their correspondence dumped in the bin.

Well, thats not good...

I was getting excited about the job prospects on the site: JobsDB.com

but now I guess what you're saying is most of these jobs wont be coming my farang way.

Dang.

The problem is that I am only qualified as a graphic designer.

I dont know of any other job I could make good(ish) money at.

There are probably lots of nubeeez on this forum thinking the same thing... what jobs are there in Thailand that I can live on, (besides teaching english)?

And probably the same number of expats on this forum thinking ... same idea, different nubie.

Sigh......

Im guessing from the varying replies from you all that it is a different story for everyone who searches.

ahhh its ok, im going to keep my hopes up and just see how it flows.

There is always a way. :o

Edited by TheRed

Well, thats not good...

I was getting excited about the job prospects on the site: JobsDB.com

but now I guess what you're saying is most of these jobs wont be coming my farang way.

Dang.

The problem is that I am only qualified as a graphic designer.

I dont know of any other job I could make good(ish) money at.

There are probably lots of nubeeez on this forum thinking the same thing... what jobs are there in Thailand that I can live on, (besides teaching english)?

And probably the same number of expats on this forum thinking ... same idea, different nubie.

Sigh......

Im guessing from the varying replies from you all that it is a different story for everyone who searches.

ahhh its ok, im going to keep my hopes up and just see how it flows.

There is always a way. :o

In my earlier email I decribed the best way to go about finding a job in Bangkok, based on my own exprience and that of my friends, colleagues, all of whom are currently employed. There are, in fact, also recruitment agencies at networking events also.

I have no formal qualifications yet have been working in Bangkok for over 10 years with seven different jobs, in 3 different industries. I dare say that my current salary is in the high range for Asia.

I agree Jobs DB is for Thais only and that is why I did not advise using it.

I'll do you a deal. If you give me the equivalent of your 1st month's salary, (once you sign a contract) I'll get you a job.

Guys, a few weeks ago we launched jobs.thavisa.com. A site catering for non-thai-nationals in Thailand.

Some jobs require you to speak a bit of thai (in some cases, more than a bit) but where we are different is that we actively seek employers and recrruiment agencies who either only want farangs, or who are not closing their doors to farangs.

We are still on our way to growing our employer contacts and database, but do take a look.

Feedback/recommendations welcome as this is quite new.

Edited by ThaivisaJobs

Guys, a few weeks ago we launched jobs.thavisa.com. A site catering for non-thai-nationals in Thailand.

Some jobs require you to speak a bit of thai (in some cases, more than a bit) but where we are different is that we actively seek employers and recrruiment agencies who either only want farangs, or who are not closing their doors to farangs.

We are still on our way to growing our employer contacts and database, but do take a look.

Feedback/recommendations welcome as this is quite new.

I tried your website. It's a generic "this domain may be for sale" website. Are you sure that's the correct address?