Pad Leader Sondhi Limthongkul Shot

LawnGnome

Most thais believe its Sae Daeng behind the attack and they may be right. As you say lots of other candidates too.

Certainly one of Thailand's more ... errrr.... colorful... uhmm... characters.

And one that has a penchant for automatic weapons....

15625.gifkhattiya.jpg

"Sae Daeng" AKA Major-General Kattiya Sawasdiphol (from his website)

http://www.sae-dang.com/

redshirtlunatic.jpg

[Kattiya:] Shooters of Sondhi's car believed to be in military

A high-profile military figure, Major-General Kattiya Sawasdiphol, believed that Sondhi’s shooters were military personnel who took the job on order, but could not complete the task because they had never worked with moving targets.

Major-General Kattiya, a well-known military figure, talked today (April 20) about the shooting on Mr. Sondhi Limtongkul, one of the core leaders of the PAD, that he personally believed that the shooters were someone in the military who took the task on order. However, due to being inexperienced and having never worked with moving targets before, they failed the task.

From the collected evidence, it was believed that there must have been more than 3 shooters at the incident scene using M-16, HK33, and M-79 guns, which had been specifically designed to assassinate people.

Furthermore, Major-General Kattiya also pointed out that after conducting the ambush, the shooters went back to Thewet Intersection, an area under military supervision.

In terms of the incentive leading to the shooting, Major-General Kattiya stated that it could have stemmed from the divergences partially brought upon the nation by the PAD protester group.

- ThaiNews / 2009-04-20

UPDATE... he's been convicted and sentenced to prison... but, the jail time is suspended

Sae Daeng gets suspended sentence

The Criminal Court on Monday sentenced Major-General Kattiya Sawasdipol, known as Sae Daeng, to two months' imprisonment for defaming former National Police Chief Seripisut Temiyavej.

Because Sae Daeng is a senior officer and had not faced a criminal charge before, his jail term was suspended for two years.

He was also fined 20,000 baht and ordered to publish the court's ruling in three Thai-language newspapers for seven consecutive days.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-27

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sae Daeng gets suspended sentence

The Criminal Court on Monday sentenced Major-General Kattiya Sawasdipol, known as Sae Daeng, to two months' imprisonment for defaming former National Police Chief Seripisut Temiyavej.

Because Sae Daeng is a senior officer and had not faced a criminal charge before, his jail term was suspended for two years.

He was also fined 20,000 baht and ordered to publish the court's ruling in three Thai-language newspapers for seven consecutive days.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-27

yep, that thailand. Sae Daeng have some issues with some higher ups from the police about corruption and that all and he get's a charge for defamation. and that wasn't the first time.

but because he is one who fights such corruption issues, the thai people love him. he is a folk hero like Insee Daeng.

i wish him the best. silly court ruling anyway.

police bashing is also a favourite on thai visa and with such defamation and libel laws, one have to be careful what is said on the internet as well.

and why you don't give the direct link to the article, instead of just link to the main page. makes it much more easy for the user. i prefere to read the text on it's original source instead of that copy paste version in the forum. thank you.

Animatic: It is interesting how your observation gave none of the Pad faithful have any discernible negative traits. It is interesting that any believe in the red shirt's cause equals troll , or robot, or banned poster. Why would that be? Do you think having an opinion different than your own deserves banishment?

Have you considered that you are a wee bit over the edge of sober judgment when it comes to your obsession with the PAD.

How could you possibly discern neutral reporting. If Sondhi was Hitler you'd be goose stepping down sukamvit

And by the way I am not for the reds I am for Thai people escaping feudalism which keeps real education from the masses and all advantages for the establishment. The red side represents that possibility just as much as the yellow side opposes it. Thaksin is yesterday get over it.

I find so few 'PAD Faithful' actually exist I didn't comment on them.

I do see several who agree on some PAD points,

and distinctly and consistently disagree on others

So I don't think of them as PAD faithful.

I have never met a PAD member ever.

No, not all red backers are trolls, but there are several that are.

I actually listed several variations, but not all.

I am not obsessed with PAD at all, I am if anything quite anti Thaksin,

and brought there by his own words aqnd actions, and not by PAD's.

But in the arbitrary grand brush strokes of this debate anti-Thaksin MUST be proPAD zealot.

Just utter tripe that idea.

If a poster is permanently banned for breaking rules, regardless of their side,

I do NOT think they get a free pass to come back under a different handle and start up again.

Drole, goose stepping, what a card you are.

You seem to think I have some connection with Sondhi, and you are incorrect.

I have also said that I am against the entrenched feudalism,

but to ease away from it not some wrenching violent dislocation of society,

which too often spins society into the hands of zealots or violent idiots.

And I have always been against the bad and pedantic schooling of most Thais,

I have NEVER said anything different ever.

When I see a truely original and creative Thai artist,

I embrace his individuality because it was so hard won.

Your last statement is telling.

Only reds want people to be educated, huh,

and yet the Dems have increased school funding and food in the last 2 months.

You act like reds are one homogeneous group and the same for yellows,

but that has NEVER been the case. They are, each side, a glossed over almagam

of many different parallel forces all looking to not get stepped on by others.

MANY PARALLEL FORCES COMBING ON SOME ISSUES AND DIVERGING GREATLY ON OTHERS.

They are some very bad yellows who are not for freedom for all and education for the masses,

All movements have their fringe fanatics, it is inevitable as white on rice,

there are also many who ARE for freedom of the masses and better education for them.

But that gets lost in the talking points of the 'other side',

because it doesn't make a differentiation against the other side.

No differntiation us against them, and thus no culture war

and thus no power to change things for your own profit.

The ONE consistent point for the yellows was not subjugating the masses,

but removing Thaksin's political machine and crony capitalist thieves

from the controls of the voting blocks.

That is the one consistent Yellow thread I have seen.

Others with differing motivations AND most with that one, grouped together.

There is no ONE RED and no ONE YELLOW and each diametrically opposed.

That is a construction by the opposing side to build it's own sides hatred

and use that as a wedge within society.

Thaksin's only hope is to harness rage to his advantage, so he is creating rage, from enui.

And I argue against the ones I see the most often using disinformation

and yelled propaganda to change the dialog. I don't that often rebut

a cogent arguement even if I disagree. But I pref looking at points

and not the broad white washing strokes of the movement itself,

because that is more push pull PR than reality.

If I maye appear anti-red it is because I find the red side co-opted and ruined by Thakson's minions,

skewed and mis-managed, and thus not safe to have at the controls of this fine nations.

But NOT because I am pro yellow.

I don't want EITHER Extremist vision to take control.

If I maye appear anti-red it is because I find the red side co-opted and ruined by Thakson's minions,

skewed and mis-managed, and thus not safe to have at the controls of this fine nations.

But NOT because I am pro yellow.

I don't want EITHER Extremist vision to take control.

Fair comment, Now i f you could just have a chat with Plus and H20, We might get past some of these circular arguments that are achieving nothing at all

Thaksin is on ice IMO.

I don't for a minute think Thaksin is presently neutralized,

He is uncharacteristically quiet at the moment....

...while his pile of cash is still on the block in court.

There is the crux of this biscuit.

He IS likely currently analyzing the "Hail Mary Pass" he needs to do soon.

He has lost is main route, but that will only make him MORE disparate.

And my guess is it will be over the top and nasty as hel_l.

Do, or die trying, and taking many with him.

His list of options is rather small,

but his ego is no less dominant in his life.

And under heightened pressure his decision making falters observably...

So as long as his minions are turning the spit on the Red Shirts fires,

I will assume Thaksin is like 'Jaws', somewhere under the waves waiting for a big meal.

I would be lovely to rid the Red Shirts of Thaksin's manipulations definitively,

then maybe they COULD become the force for good they might have been in less avaricious hands.

But I really think a new entity MUST appear to collate the worthy goals of the more rational reds

and give a smooth, consistent, gradual, not shock treatment, change to society

for the good of ALL Thais.

Edited by animatic

I would be lovely to rid the Red Shirts of Thaksin's manipulations definitively,

then maybe they COULD become the force for good they might have been in less avaricious hands.

But I really think a new entity MUST appear to collate the worthy goals of the more rational reds

and give a smooth, consistent, gradual, not shock treatment, change to society

for the good of ALL Thais.

Here here. :o

Isnt the 9th Infantry based at Kanchanaburi? Please correct me if wrong.

Edited to add: it really looks like Abhisit has to pull a military reshuffle if he wants to survive. Question is he in a position strong enough to do so, or is it so strong that rogue elements will come back on board?

Yes, you are correct they are based in Kanchanaburi.

9th division are close to Gen. Sonthi and were mobilised in the 2006 coup.

Asia Times - Coup of 2006

Gen Sonthi was also the first person to ever propose an amnesty. There are all kinds of byzantine connections and things that dont make much sense concerning units based in Kanchanburi and power players other than our coup leader as well. All roads lead to the Kanchanburi maze on this one.

Former Army Chief General Chaiyasit Shinawatra believes the assassination attempt against PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul is not related to the 9th infantry unit of the Army, and he claims that there is no marksman in that unit.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-04-28

Former Army Chief General Chaiyasit Shinawatra believes the assassination attempt against PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul is not related to the 9th infantry unit of the Army, and he claims that there is no marksman in that unit.

TAN 2009-04-28

wouldn't that make them even more suspect.

and which units have been in bangkok for the crackdown on the reds? they couldn't kill anybody as far as we know officially. or maybe it was someone from the batalion of combat nurses.

Sondhi to give press conference on May 1

The press conference, to be held at 12.30 pm at Manager Daily headquarters on Phra Arthit Road in Bangkok, will be his first after the murder attempt. A meeting of core leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy will be held afterwards.

- THE NATION - 2009/04/28

Sondhi to give press conference on May 1

The press conference, to be held at 12.30 pm at Manager Daily headquarters on Phra Arthit Road in Bangkok, will be his first after the murder attempt. A meeting of core leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy will be held afterwards.

- THE NATION - 2009/04/28

Will be interersting. Everyone else has been motor mouthing it all over the place but Sondhi is waiting his time.

TAN 2009-04-28

and which units have been in bangkok for the crackdown on the reds? they couldn't kill anybody as far as we know officially. or maybe it was someone from the batalion of combat nurses.

Isn't his last name sound familiar to you?

TAN 2009-04-28

Isn't his last name sound familiar to you?

yes, in the moment i pressed the send button. but for for that journalist news ticker menial of TAN obviously not important to point out. i guess the manager related "news" outlets don't have any archive and informations on file about all that important "mr. xsnss said that mr. yrmrr believes" news.

anyway, as long sriracha keep on track and published every known holiday move form anyone is suspect or otherwise involved, like the reds (bulletproof), dem's&army (shot but nobody dead), commies (commies) and so on it will be fine.

i found it interessting that that oversized TAN icon is a hyperlink to http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/, but there is also http://www.tannetwork.tv/. with both you get to the same page, same content. but nowhere on that site is noted who and where is the publisher or how it comes that in tuvalu is so much reported about thailand.

SONDHI'S ACCOUNT

Sondhi gives police account for first time since shooting

By The Nation

Published on May 1, 2009

Sondhi gives police account for first time since shooting

Deputy National Police Commissioner General Thanee Somboonsap interrogated People’s Alliance for Democracy coleader and media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul at the latter’s office yesterday. Thani heads an investigation into the assassination attempt on Sondhi,

Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul spoke to the police for the first time since an attempt was made on his life on April 17 at his ASTVManager Daily offices.

Sondhi said he only trusted chief investigator Pol General Thanee Somboonsap, a deputy police chief, and would not speak to anyone else. He also said that he would identify the masterminds and those involved in the murder attempt to the press at 12.30pm today.

Thanee later played down reports that the police obtained clues identifying four suspects involved in the shooting - a civilian, two military officers and a borderpatrol policeman. However, the officer said he had contacted the Army about the standard procedures needed to question Army officers in criminal cases.

Sondhi dismissed reports that he was going on a pilgrimage to Nepal or India, saying that his belief in the "holy mission to take care of his country" had miraculously saved his life.

He added that the deputy Special Branch Bureau chief's statement that Sondhi himself had set up the assassination seek public sympathy saddened him.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he could not confirm reports about the four suspects, while Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that he would not worry about Sondhi's "tellall" statements to be made public today.

.....while Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that he would not worry about Sondhi's "tellall" statements to be made public today.

Does that mean that Suthep and crew would not give Sondhi's account any credence?

I got the impression too

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-04-28

Either that, or the marksman really sucks.

(and really is there not a single marksman in an entire infantry unit? honest question, as I have no idea about how the military is set up...)

Sondhi may take pilgrimage trip to India or Nepal

The Nation

After surviving attempted killing, media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul may decide to seek solace by taking a pilgrimage to India and Nepal to follow the Buddha's footprints, said Manager newspaper's ex-executive editor Paisal Mangkornchaiya.

Speaking on his F.M.96.5 MHz radio programme, Paisal quoted a close aide of Sondhi as saying he may reveal in his press conference on Friday about his determination to take a pilgrimage trip in India or Nepal for a long time.

Sondhi is scheduled to speak for the first time on Friday about the assassination plot against him.

Sondhi had earlier sought solace by having ordained at Wat Pa Ban Tad in Udon Thani.

Paisal offered his own political analysis that he believed Sondhi' decision to stay abroad would not affect the PAD political movement because he can video link to Thailand the same way former prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra did.

Paisal also believed that Sondhi would not reveal much about the assassination attempt on him. "He might be able to say only about the incident but not who is behind it or whether the mastermind are police or military men,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 30.04.2009

Sondhi: My good deeds protect me

Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul yesterday denied he knew who were behind the assassination attempt on his life.

Sondhi was speaking to reporters after giving statements to police over the gang-shooting incident at dawn of April 17. Sondhi sustained injuries to his head and stomach after a hail of almost 100 bullets were fied at his car.

Sondhi expressed confidence National Police Commission deputy director-general Pol Gen Thani Somboonsap as chief investigator of the case would arrest the real culprits and not scapegoats.

He denied that he knew who masterminded the assassination saying he just told police as what happened on that day.

He also denied press reports that he would go on a pilgrimage to India as the media had reported.

He also dismissed speculation hat he had sacred item that helped protect him from being assassinated.

"Klaew Thanikul had highly-sacred Somdej Wat Rakang amulet in his mouth but he did not survive,'' Sondhi said.

Sondhi was referring to a mafia in a boxing and gambling business who was assassinated in a boxing stadium in Nakhon Pathom during the National Peace Keeping Force rule in 1991. More than ten strong men sprayed bullets at the mafia, who failed to escape the last attempt on his life.

"I just do good deeds to protect myself. This has proven that any one who do good deeds will be protected,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 30.04.2009

Sondhi might seek spiritual solace in India

By The Nation

Published on April 30, 2009

After miraculously escaping an assassination attempt, media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul may decide to go on a pilgrimage following Buddha's footsteps in India and Nepal, said Paisal Mangkornchaiya, the former executive editor of the Manager magazine.

He said this while talking about Sondhi's plans to meet the press on Friday and discuss the attempt on his life and the political future of his People's Alliance for Democracy during a talk show on FM96.5MHz on Tuesday.

Quoting close aides of Sondhi, Paisal said the media mogul might tell the press about his plans to go on an extended pilgrimage to India or Nepal. Sondhi had earlier sought solace by getting ordained at Wat Pa Ban Tad in Udon Thani.

Paisal said he believed Sondhi' decision to go overseas would not affect the PAD movement because, just like ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, he too could speak to his supporters through video linkups.

The radio show host said he believed Sondhi would not reveal too many facts about the assassination attempt. "He will probably only recount the incident without saying who might be responsible, or who is behind it or whether the masterminds are police or military men," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 30.04.2009

imagehha.jpg

imageuws.jpg

PAD Leader Confident in Police Team Investigating His Assassination Attempt

UPDATE : 30 April 2009

People's Alliance for Democracy founder Sondhi Limthongkul today gave his first testimony to police investigators since the assassination attempt against him earlier this month.

People's Alliance for Democracy founder Sondhi Limthongkul welcomed deputy national police chief Police General Thani Somboonsub and police investigators to his office at Baan Phra Arthit to give testimony regarding the assassination attempt against him on April 17th.

It was Sondhi's first testimony since the attempted murder. He said he is putting his trust in the investigative team led by Police General Thani and is confident the team will not arrest a scapegoat.

Sondhi denied reports that he is planning a pilgrimage to Nepal, saying he must remain in his motherland to continue to fight for his country, religion, and His Majesty the King.

Tomorrow, Sondhi is scheduled to give a press conference about the attack on him, which occurred during the state of emergency in the capital.

After meeting with Sondhi, Police General Thani said Sondhi’s testimony would help the investigation and that investigators may visit him again to ask more questions.

Police General Thani said police have not arrested any suspects and that so far no military or police officials are suspects. However, he said police would contact supervisors of any suspects prior to their arrests if they were government officials.

Police General Thani said police have sent a letter to the Army to ask for specifications of their ammunition, which were reportedly used in the murder attempt, but have received no response yet.

He said the investigation is progressing and expressed confidence that police have done their best to find Sondhi's attackers, especially through their use of CCTV video footage from the crime scene.

He added that the bullets and casings found at the scene would be compared with all automatic weapons used in crimes nationwide.

He said three people earlier detained by police for suspected involvement in the assassination plot were found to be innocent.

Police General Thani also denied reports that he had pledged that the gunmen and ringleaders would be arrested within a week.

tocnewsheadtxt.gif

It would be rather idiotic to NOT have trained marksmen in an infantry troup in ANY country.

The Thais have done group training with American units regularly they would know this to be true.

So that is just a political comment from some puyai general trying to deflect eyes from his balywick.

tocnewsheadtxt.gif

PM Receives No Report on Arrests of Suspects in Sondhi Case

Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Prime Minister said he has not received any report about the arrests of two soldiers and a civilian allegedly involved in the attempted assassination of a key leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he has yet to receive information about the arrests of two soldiers and a civilian suspected to be the gunmen in the assassination attempt against People’s Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban also said he had not received a report about the arrests. He added that he is not worried about Sondhi’s plan to hold a press conference tomorrow to talk about the recent attempt on his life.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan also said he was not informed that two Army officers had been arrested for allegedly being involved in the assassination attempt against Sondhi.

General Prawit declined to comment on the case, saying it is currently a police matter.

He also said he has received no report from intelligence agencies concerning plans by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship, or DAAD, to use the tactics of the former communist movement to instigate a popular uprising against the government.

However, General Prawit reiterated that intelligence agencies had been closely monitoring the DAAD’s moves and the government was capable of responding effectively.

General Prawit also said the police had not yet asked for help from the military in tackling a DAAD rally planned for May 17th. He added that a recent meeting in Nakhon Ratchasima Province with the director of the Internal Security Operations Command, Lieutenant General Daopong Rattansuwan, was held to clarify the details of the Songkran crackdown to community leaders there.

He said the visit was also part of the command's project to raise the people’s awareness about the principles of sufficiency economy.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network Thursday, April 30, 2009

From http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/TOC/ViewData...?DataID=1014250

tocnewsheadtxt.gif

Defence Minister Recieves No Report on Soldiers Involved in Sondhi Case

Thursday, April 30, 2009

The defence minister has claimed he has yet to be informed about the possible involvement of soldiers in the attempted assassination of the core leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said he has never been informed about the arrest of army officers suspected of being involved in the assassination attempt on core leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, Sondhi Limthongkul.

General Prawit declined to comment on the case, saying the matter is under the responsibility of the police agency.

The defence minister also said he has received no report from intelligence agencies over the Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship or DAAD’s plan to employ tactics of the now defunct communist movement to instigate the people.

However, the minister reiterated that the DAAD’s moves have been under close watch by intelligence agencies and the government has measures to deal with the matter.

He also stated that the police agency has yet to deliver its request for military officers to deal with the DAAD’s major rally planned for May 17th. General Prawit also commented on the recent meeting with the Director of the Internal Security Operation Command or ISOC, Lieutenant General Daopong Rattansuwan in Nakaornratchasrima Province, aimed to clarify the details of the crackdown on the DAAD protest to community leaders there.

He said the visit was also a part of the ISOC project to raise the people’s awareness on sufficiency economy.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network April 30, 2009

From http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1014245

Sondhi delays press conference to Sunday

Founder of ASTV and Manager daily, Sondhi Limthongkul, who survived an assassination attempt on April 17, postponed his first public statement to Sunday.

Sondhi claimed he has a bit of fever.

He earlier announced that he will make the statement on Friday at 12.30pm at the Manager Daily headquarters on Phra Athit Road. The Sunday press conference will be held at 12.30 pm at the daily headquarters.

The press conference, would his first after the murder attempt.

Sondhi yesterday denied he knew who were behind the assassination attempt on his life.

Sondhi was speaking after giving statements to police over the shooting.

Sondhi expressed confidence National Police Commission deputy director-general Pol Gen Thani Somboonsap as chief investigator of the case would arrest the real culprits and not scapegoats

- THE NATION - 2009/01/05

tocnewsheadtxt.gif

Suthep vows Sondhi's claims won't affect stability

Friday, May 01, 2009 12:00 AM

The deputy prime minister in charge of national security affairs said claims that military officers were behind the attempted assassination of a core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, would not affect the government's stability or the army.

Suthep Thaugsuban, deputy prime minister in charge of national security affairs, was responding to PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul's claim that military officers and police hired the gunmen who ambushed him on April 17th in Bangkok. Suthep said he believed the accusations would not affect the stability of the government or the army.

Suthep said individuals, not the government, tried to kill Sondhi, and acknowledged that the tension would ease if police could solve the case quickly. He refused to set a deadline for solving it, however, saying he did not want to unduly pressure the police.

Army chief General Anupong Paochinda, meanwhile, has vowed that any military officers or police involved in the attack on Sondhi would face charges.

Meanwhile, Suthep met today with the National Security Department and the foreign ministry to discuss preparations for the ASEAN Public Health Ministers Conference scheduled for May 7th and 8th. Thailand will host the conference.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network Friday, May 01, 2009

From http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/TOC/ViewData...?DataID=1014286

Sondhi says such and such

Sondhi denies such and such

Sondhi will go on pilgrimage

Sondhi will not go on pilgrimage

Sondhi says he knows who carried out the murder attempt.

Sondhi says he doesn't know (or can't say) who carried out the murder attempt.

Police say they are investigating, and asking Army brass to answer questions (about ammo, and.....)

Days come and go, Army not answering questions.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said he has never been informed about the arrest of army officers suspected of being involved in the assassination attempt......

General Prawit declined to comment on the case......

The defence minister also said he has received no report from intelligence agencies......

BB's asks rhetorically; when have so many people made so much noise - signifying nothing, peppered with manifold layers of denials, non-action, reversals, obfuscations, etc.

.....while Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that he would not worry about Sondhi's "tellall" statements to be made public today.

Does that mean that Suthep and crew would not give Sondhi's account any credence?

I got the impression too

this one of the oddest cases so far:

Sondhi:

Sondhi said he only trusted chief investigator Pol General Thanee Somboonsap, a deputy police chief, and would not speak to anyone else.

He also said that he would identify the masterminds and those involved in the murder attempt to the press at 12.30pm today.

Sondhi dismissed reports that he was going on a pilgrimage to Nepal or India,

He denied that he knew who masterminded the assassination saying he just told police as what happened on that day.

He also denied press reports that he would go on a pilgrimage to India as the media had reported.

He also dismissed speculation hat he had sacred item that helped protect him from being assassinated.

Sondhi denied reports that he is planning a pilgrimage to Nepal, saying he must remain in his motherland to continue to fight for his country, religion, and His Majesty the King.

Sondhi yesterday denied he knew who were behind the assassination attempt on his life.

Sondhi expressed confidence National Police Commission deputy director-general Pol Gen Thani Somboonsap as chief investigator of the case would arrest the real culprits and not scapegoats.

Sondhi claimed he has a bit of fever.

Pol General Thanee Somboonsap

Thanee later played down reports that the police obtained clues identifying four suspects involved in the shooting - a civilian, two military officers and a borderpatrol policeman.

Police General Thani said Sondhi’s testimony would help the investigation and that investigators may visit him again to ask more questions.

Police General Thani said police have not arrested any suspects and that so far no military or police officials are suspects.

He said the investigation is progressing and expressed confidence that police have done their best to find Sondhi's attackers, especially through their use of CCTV video footage from the crime scene.

He added that the bullets and casings found at the scene would be compared with all automatic weapons used in crimes nationwide.

Police General Thani also denied reports that he had pledged that the gunmen and ringleaders would be arrested within a week.

Government & Army

General Prawit declined to comment on the case, saying it is currently a police matter.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he could not confirm reports about the four suspects, while Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that he would not worry about Sondhi's "tellall" statements to be made public today.

The Prime Minister said he has not received any report about the arrests of two soldiers and a civilian allegedly involved in the attempted assassination of a key leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he has yet to receive information about the arrests of two soldiers and a civilian suspected to be the gunmen in the assassination attempt against People’s Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban also said he had not received a report about the arrests.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan also said he was not informed that two Army officers had been arrested for allegedly being involved in the assassination attempt against Sondhi.

The defence minister has claimed he has yet to be informed about the possible involvement of soldiers in the attempted assassination of the core leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said he has never been informed about the arrest of army officers suspected of being involved in the assassination attempt on core leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, Sondhi Limthongkul.

The deputy prime minister in charge of national security affairs said claims that military officers were behind the attempted assassination of a core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, would not affect the government's stability or the army.

Suthep said he believed the accusations would not affect the stability of the government or the army.

General Prawit declined to comment on the case, saying the matter is under the responsibility of the police agency.

the radio show host said:

Sondhi Limthongkul may decide to go on a pilgrimage following Buddha's footsteps in India and Nepal, said Paisal Mangkornchaiya

Sondhi Limthongkul may decide to seek solace by taking a pilgrimage to India and Nepal to follow the Buddha's footprints, said Manager newspaper's ex-executive editor Paisal Mangkornchaiya.

Quoting close aides of Sondhi, Paisal said the media mogul might tell the press about his plans to go on an extended pilgrimage to India or Nepal.

Paisal quoted a close aide of Sondhi as saying he may reveal in his press conference on Friday about his determination to take a pilgrimage trip in India or Nepal for a long time.

Paisal said he believed Sondhi' decision to go overseas would not affect the PAD movement because, just like ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, he too could speak to his supporters through video linkups.

Paisal offered his own political analysis that he believed Sondhi' decision to stay abroad would not affect the PAD political movement because he can video link to Thailand the same way former prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra did.

The radio show host said he believed Sondhi would not reveal too many facts about the assassination attempt.

Paisal also believed that Sondhi would not reveal much about the assassination attempt on him.

"He might be able to say only about the incident but not who is behind it or whether the mastermind are police or military men,'' he said.

"He will probably only recount the incident without saying who might be responsible, or who is behind it or whether the masterminds are police or military men," he said.

Edited by HagenvonTronje