Organic Rice Farming In Vietnam

i was watching a programme on Channel News Asia a few days ago called 'Its Organic' a not very good, patchy show with poor editing however there was an item on a method of Organic Rice farming in Vietnam called something like the 'Argarno method' ---- which invloves the use of ducks in the paddy fields, i made up this spelling and when i googled it nothing came up at all. Does anyone know about this method and what it

entails?

Edited by yumidesign

hi YD

I suggest you google "integrated rice duck farming" I do have some PDF's on the subject which involves bringing fish into the equasion but a bit limited for time to dig them out and post. You need to pay special attention to the timings of introducing the ducks into the rice fields etc to avoid damage to the crop but they make excellent weeders, cut down the snail population and obviously produce free fertiliser !!

cheersfor now J 

• 1 month later...
hi YD

I suggest you google "integrated rice duck farming" I do have some PDF's on the subject which involves bringing fish into the equasion ...

cheersfor now J 

I think similar things are being done in Bangladesh, the fish help fertilize also and provide protein. There's a fair bit of info on the web if you do a search.