How Many Of You Have Security Bars Over Your Windows?

Just curious how many of you have security bars over your windows?

I'm in Pattaya and have them. Though I see many upscale communities that do not have them and I'm wondering if the sleeping guard actually helps lower the amount of break-ins or not.

Edited by Tokay

None on my house and have been there for 3 years with break ins. I do put this down to the security guards, who in our estate do not sleep on duty, they have checkpoints in every street that they have to visit, these are highly visible and easily monitored.

None on my house and have been there for 3 years with break ins. I do put this down to the security guards, who in our estate do not sleep on duty, they have checkpoints in every street that they have to visit, these are highly visible and easily monitored.

Did you mean to say WITHOUT break ins?

Well I don't have a house now but the one I had, Pattaya dark side, had security grills on all windows and a cage over the back yard as there was nothing but scrubland behind but that was the missus's doing.

When we bought the house it had a full 24 hour security squad in smart white uniforms. The adverts for the estate on Sophon cable showed them all lined up smartly on parade. The shots were taken from a low angle to disguise that they were 18 y.o. tops! :o After a few years they had dwindled and security was by one single guard who also doubled as the estate maintenance man, errand boy and dog herder. That was it, security, in total. Attempts to complain about it were a waste of breath.

We Have security Bars Village Location Wife's Idea

She thinks Farang = Money so we could become a Target.

I dont think we have A problem in the Village. But I have to agree at 1800 Baht It was Wise.

3 Very Small dogs No deterant Ok at night, Yap like hel_l if anyone comes near the house.

Did you mean to say WITHOUT break ins?

Correct, that was an unfortunate typo. lol

I have them and happy I do. A few burglaries on my estate in the past 2 years.

I think if they really want to get in they will but if its a lot of hassle they will move on. They want to do the job quick and easy, IMO.

I sleep with doors and windows open and securiy bars/screens locked from inside. Its lovely to get up in the morning to a nice well-aired house.

Yes I have bars on the windows as all houses do in the moobaan. Also metal security doors for front doors. Don't think it detracts from appearance as all houses have them and are painted with accent colours. It's just common sense in these parts...no thinking person whether on beachside or the Farside would consider renting or buying a home without them.

The only other alternative would be tempered security glass fixed windows (don't open) or security-casement (or other type of non-sliding) windows.

I have them, but they just a deterent, as my neighbour has them, and they unsrewed the bars from the wall! and broke in. If they want to get in they will, most usually they take the roofing tiles off, and get in through the ceiling!

We have them too, both on the house in Jomtien and the one up country. To make it harder to unscrew the bars, the bolt heads have been filed down. Nothing that the unwanted intruder can circumvent with a hack saw, however it will be a bit more noisy, then just being able to unscrew them.

Just curious how many of you have security bars over your windows?

I'm in Pattaya and have them. Though I see many upscale communities that do not have them and I'm wondering if the sleeping guard actually helps lower the amount of break-ins or not.

I am in north pattaya, and I have horizontal bars in windows. I was told: better to be safe than sorry. Aesthetically not the best look but I have louver windows, so the lines are not obvious. If you are in gated community, you are safer if you can tell the guardhouse (and neighbours) you are away for extended periods. A red note or two helps the guards understand :o

I also have a monitored alarm system as a back up. No break-ins to date.

I live at a nice project on rama2, plenty of security in the complete project. So nobody has bars in this project, except one family 2 houses down the soi. A bit strange to see that only they have bars, as they only have a load of crap inside their house, but they do some karaoke in the evening sometimes, so maybe it's for their own protection.

I am the only farang here in the project, inbetween a load of loaded thais, so I assume I have nothing to fear. Wouldn't want to live in a cage.

Just had them put in myself (townhouse). Nice design though with butterflies and flowers painted gold and the bars themselves a light blue. We have one back facing bedroom that's adjacent to another village. I opted to knock out the window and brick it up and put in some of those glass blocks to let some light in. Since we'll never need to use it as another bedroom it's become our closet/storage. The recently finished kitchen that is directly under said room also has security bars all through the construction to prevent climb-ins.

Do I need them? I'll never know but it does give me good piece of mind when going out.