100,000 Going To The New Airport

pautai

according to a story in the post the projected journeys to the new airport will start with 100,000 to the airport every day ! thats presumably workers and tourists !

where are they gonna find the taxis and cars to take them all ! there wont be any MTS

for a while so thats a lot of taxis ,buses, trucks , bikes and tuktuks !

could some mathamatics expert work out the area of roadspace needed to cater for this lot ? and parking spaces ,ball park figures .... :o

according to a story in the post the projected journeys to the new airport will start with 100,000 to the airport every day ! thats presumably workers and tourists !

where are they gonna find the taxis and cars to take them all ! there wont be any MTS

could some mathamatics expert work out the area of roadspace needed to cater for this lot ? and parking spaces ,ball park figures .... :o

I would think that the same taxis, buses, trucks, bikes, and tuktuks (you seeem to have forgotton private cars) that now go to Don Muang will just start going to the new airport. They are busily building a large interchange on the Outer Ring Road/Bangkok-Chonburi Motorway just for the new airport.

By the way, what is MTS? Did you mean BTS (also known as the skytrain?)..

TH

I for one just hope that the airport authority charges a higher daily price for parking at the airport short term car park and then I might actually get a space at terminal one which is currently fully occupied by TG staff parking there - presume on some kind of free pass - really hacks me off.

Think of 100,000 people going to a football game on a given Sunday. Think about the traffic on their arrival and the trafic on their departure, but thin it out over an entire day. Now, add in the number of cabs which arrive at the airport without a passenger in order to pick one up, and the number of cabs which leave the airport without a passenger after dropping one off. Now, we are in the 120,000 or greater category.

That is the kind of traffic that will exist. Yet, I do not see it being any different than now at the International Airport - which I find acceptable.

On the 100,000 journeys to the new airport every day.

I am going to assume that 100,000 people would also leave the airport every day.

If so, then is the government expecting 36.5 million tourists (minus Thai arrivals from overseas). I do not see how the number could be that high. Maybe the airport will be able to handle that many passengers at a peak rate.

could some mathamatics expert work out the area of roadspace needed to cater for this lot ? and parking spaces ,ball park figures .... :D

I for one just hope that the airport authority charges a higher daily price for parking at the airport short term car park and then I might actually get a space at terminal one which is currently fully occupied by TG staff parking there - presume on some kind of free pass - really hacks me off.

Digger, I live in a muuban very near the airport and my soi alone of about 40 townhouses has around 15 TG employees consisting mostly of ground crew and air-hostesses. I see them everyday going to and from the airport, most of them in cars. A few of them know each other very well but for some reason they all go to work seperately in their own cars.

It only takes me about 15 mins to get to the airport using public transport but 25 mins using my mc. :o

Seems that Thais don't know about the benefits of 'car pooling.'

Probably the world's fastest train..........but its not to Suwa-na-pon :D

CMon Mr T ....call Richard quickly (virgin trains)...just think double beds for arriving and departing tourists :D ........a worlds first :D

China's superfast express launches next week.

On the southern bank of the Yangtze river, about 30km north of Shanghai, lies Pudong international airport.

Since it opened its first terminal in 1999 it has served China's irrepressible 21st-century megalopolis with nothing more futuristic than a fleet of taxis and a schedule of buses.

If you are lucky, and the roads are clear, you can be in the city centre in 40 minutes. But as of next week, to coincide with the Chinese New Year, passengers arriving at Pudong will be able to reach the centre of town in a fraction of the time.

The world's first commercial high-speed maglev now connects Pudong with downtown Shanghai in a very, very nimble seven minutes 20 seconds. Shanghai's new express can reach a top speed of 430kph (267mph) in just under two minutes.

Maglev - shorthand for magnetic levitation - is basically a train that floats on an electromagnetic cushion, which is propelled along a guideway at incredible speeds. Magnetic levitation has been a long-standing dream of railway engineers - the first patent was issued in 1934 - but the first new mass transit system since the advent of the aeroplane has suffered more delays than the average London commuter train.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/sto...1122916,00.html

and ..............

How tro make a maglev at home :D

1 Take a roll of double-backed sticky tape, a piece of cardboard, 20 to 30 small magnets (square ones work best) and ideally one sheet of Perspex.

2 Cut two strips of the tape no more than 1m long. Take 20 magnets (setting aside five for later use) and stick them to the tape. Try to space them as equally as you can, all facing the same polarity. To check this, run a spare magnet over each row. It should either be attracted or repelled by all the magnets in the strip. Now tape the magnets to the cardboard base of the box in parallel lines close to the sides of edge of the base. This is the guideway. ................more :o