Electrical Equipment For New House

JimmyGreaves

Just getting to the stage of having to see the thai electrician on our new house build and I will have to start thinking about safe electrics and power consumption me thinks.

Trying to get the house as cool as possible using 20cm qcon blocks. 250sq M 3 bed/3bath two storey.

Know absolutely nothing about electrics or current, all I know is we got a 1 phase, 2 wire 220V meter 15(45)Amp meter outside.

Looks like we need:

4 aircons - 3 upstairs beds and 1 downstairs

3 electric showers

switches and sockets

Gas cooking the missus wants.

A thread by kamalabob2 has pushed me towards getting panasonic switches and sockets, would like to know about the trip box etc and making sure the grounding is planned propably + any other safety issues I may need.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

If you've not already, have a look here http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/ :o

I would stick with big-name consumer units with matching breakers (whilst not strictly necessary it is good practice to match brands).

Look out for;-

Square D

MK

Telemecanique

3M

Bosch

Clipsal

etc. etc.

Online source so you can see what's available http://www.fifahthai.com/product.php

Edited by Crossy

Have you ever tried an inductive type electric burner. little to no heat generated(you can shut off one of the aircons) I used to be a gas man, but the inductive tastes & cooks the same & is a heck of a lot cheaper to run.

Have you ever tried an inductive type electric burner. little to no heat generated(you can shut off one of the aircons) I used to be a gas man, but the inductive tastes & cooks the same & is a heck of a lot cheaper to run.

I don't understand this eardog. Are you suggesting an alternative to the gas cooker?

I don't understand this eardog. Are you suggesting an alternative to the gas cooker?

He's talking about an induction hob, dead clever bit of technology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker and http://www.whatprice.co.uk/household/induction-hobs.html

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if MEA inspectors will allow a sub-panel to be located in a clothes closet, laundry room, or in an upper kitchen cabinet? (in most parts of the US this wouldn't work, but..., you know).

I'm upgrading the electrics in a Bangkok shophouse, and will be putting a small consumer unit on each floor. I'd really like to hide them, but not if it means the MEA won't give me a permanent meter.

Does your shophouse already have a meter and supply? If so MEA don't care what you do. Maybe get your permanent connection against the existing wiring (unless it's really awful).

Personally I like the CU where it's discrete but visible, so you can get at it easily (and see the smoke early).

Does your shophouse already have a meter and supply? If so MEA don't care what you do. Maybe get your permanent connection against the existing wiring (unless it's really awful).

Personally I like the CU where it's discrete but visible, so you can get at it easily (and see the smoke early).

Meter and big wires were stolen before we bought the building; what little electrical work was left was really too scary to consider using. The MEA gave us a temporary 5(15) meter and an antique-looking fuse; we're supposed to call them "when all the work is done" to have it replaced with a 15(45) meter. I'd hoped to get it approved based on the breaker box and the first floor, which we've completed. However, the call center says we have to finish the whole building before the inspection.

I'm all for consumer unit accessibility, and I'm confident that what I'm planning is pretty sensible (laying out the closets so that that flammable clothes can't possibly be piled up next to circuit breakers, for example). But every once in a while, I encounter an official with a very strict "cannot do" attitude, so I'm trying to be cautious. Has anyone had an experience with an MEA inspection to get a meter?