Small Salon Setup - Costs And Procedures.

Yimmy

Hey, does anybody here happen to have experience setting up a small hair salon.

I’m interested in the figures and procedures to doing so.

It would be in either a town or city in the country, and probably in a townhouse where the bottom is converted to a small salon. From experience the rent will be around the 10k a month mark with 2 or 3 months deposit.

But actually fitting it out – 2 chairs, basins and mirror sets as well as the equipment and stock.

The design, branding, marketing and promotions would be taken care of, with just the printing costs on top. So really it’s just the cost of the equipment and stock I’d be interested in.

As well as the procedures for a Thai to set up the business. Does anyone know what certificates are required to licence a salon?

From then on I presume it’s rent the premises, and with the lease and certs apply for the licence and then you’re free to operate?

Thanks for anyone who can answer any of the Qs.

We just sold a nice one in Santiham Chiang Mai

Like you describe fully outfitted 2 stations.

Also had a nice upstairs apartment.

The building rent was 6k a month

Specifically for your question I am pretty sure you could do it for 80-100k no prob

so a pretty small investment.

There are no real licenses to worry about.

As for the lease etc. yes we had them in 2 or 5 year blocks.

Rents can be lower than the 10k you suggest but then again I guess it is location.

As for anything else........The only question I would ask you is do *you* have experience?

Are you Thai?

The hair biz is very competitive here as there are so many to choose from so you need

to be good at it & also locals know the best places to buy supplies etc.

Also helps to do full service ( cuts-dyes-facials-manicures etc etc etc

My wife is Thai & she did well with it as she has been in that business for many years & has owned a few salons.

Good Luck.

Edited by flying

Hi there, I have 2 very hi quality salon chairs for sale, they were 30,000 baht each a few years ago but we'd be happy to sell them for 1,200 now, we just have too many chairs for the salon at the moment.

Mail me at <snip> for some pics.

Edited by soundman
No Email addresses as per Forum Rules. PM member.

thanks for the info Flying and Beejoir.

Those amounts are what I was thinking. upto a 5 year lease would be nice.

And thanks for the offer Beejoir. We're still a bit away from set up won't be able to take up your offer for a while. thanks though.

If you doing it for a thai gf stop and think about it. It aint gonna work. If you trying to make money that is.
If you doing it for a thai gf stop and think about it. It aint gonna work. If you trying to make money that is.

curious why you would say that?

I guess his previous girlfreind(s) may not have been able to start a business that was able to run in the balck. Although it is a fair statement that a lot of people start businesses for their wives/girlfreinds and they end up failing for a multiutude of reasons.

But many wives and girlfreinds have actually run successful businesses. All Thai's are not incompetent business people, just some of them are...

curious why you would say that?

But many wives and girlfreinds have actually run successful businesses. All Thai's are not incompetent business people, just some of them are...

Businesses run successfully by gf or wives are like looking for a needle in a haystack. BUsines to placate a thai girl is seldom successful.

Salons are one of the business in Thailand that you definitely need an edge of some sort to succeed. So start thinking about how you can get that edge. Undercutting prices doesn't work so what can you do to get people in your salon?

You look in any small town or city and what do you see, salons salons salons. When there weren't so many, maybe they were profitable. Thais have this very strange habit, that when they see a successful business, they copy it. That in itself is not so strange, but if at all possible they will open their business next door to the one they are copying. After a while there are too many trying for the same business, and not enough customers to pay the bills. You take a look at how tatty these places become, because there is not the profit to refurbish when necessary. Eventually the businesses start folding, but are immediately replaced by a newcomer who will struggle to earn from it.

Probably the best sideline in a salon is dress a few girls in white coats, have a weighing machine and sell placebo pills with a guarantee to lose weight. 1000 Baht for a pack of 10 Baht pills. Tell the customer that they have to follow a diet and exercise regime, so you will have something to blame when they don't lose weight. The funny thing is that when the first lot of pills don't work, they will still believe you when you sell them a different pill at twice the price!

Businesses run successfully by gf or wives are like looking for a needle in a haystack. BUsines to placate a thai girl is seldom successful.

So I keep hearing...

Perphaps those with girlfriends/wives running successful businesses just don't post about it or if they do the threads just die out quickly...

I have noticed that threads with positive stories seem to die a whole lot quicker than negative ones.

So I keep hearing...

Perphaps those with girlfriends/wives running successful businesses just don't post about it or if they do the threads just die out quickly...

I have noticed that threads with positive stories seem to die a whole lot quicker than negative ones.

The wife of a friend is running a restaurant and on the face of it, it appears quite successful in the high season. Never seems to actually make any money though as she never has enough to pay the overheads, he has to keep on subsidising it.

Obviously, some people mange to make a success of a new business

If you've ever read any of Lickey's posts, he often mentions his girlfriends salon (also that it is open 14 hours/day 7 days/week)

Maybe the OP should PM him as he has first hand knowledge.