Moving To Changmai Mai Or Not

guzzi850m2

Waiwai regarding the Internet, I have exactly the same problem in Pat. I am paying for the fastest conn. I can get but sometimes I can't even download BKK post front page :o , and complaining to the provider (TOT) many times but no cure so far. I think the whole net in Thailand are completely overloaded.

Priceless, thanks for the info regarding air pollution, very interesting and informative.

Stew thanks for that man, yes I know the shop, something like:Ricks Power Coating, nice guy talked to him once.

Buy a Harley again Stew, you wont regret it, I am a member of HOG Thailand and we go many places all over the country and are getting VIP treatment where ever we go by everybody :D incl. the police who often waves us over for red light when we thunder through small towns, he he.

Thanks again to everybody

Guzzi, I'm getting good internet service with TTT's Maxnet in CM; 1000 baht/month for 2MB premier. Had TOT in Pattaya before and it was BAD.

I'll be swinging by Pattaya next week. Is Wranglers Harley shop still there? Guy from Florida owns it from what I remember. They had some sweet bikes. Humm... I'll have to check my finances. :D I'll keep an eye out for any other big bike shops that work on/sell Harleys in CM. I'll post what I find.

Guzzi, I'm getting good internet service with TTT's Maxnet in CM; 1000 baht/month for 2MB premier. Had TOT in Pattaya before and it was BAD.

I'll be swinging by Pattaya next week. Is Wranglers Harley shop still there? Guy from Florida owns it from what I remember. They had some sweet bikes. Humm... I'll have to check my finances. :o I'll keep an eye out for any other big bike shops that work on/sell Harleys in CM. I'll post what I find.

Stew, Wranglers is still there, but under another name, it is called Iron Horse, owned by Leigh (UK) now. I bought my bike from him and have been very satisfied, with both the bike and the service. He can get you any bike you may want (HD), within reason of course.

It a shame that I am offshore right now or we could have meet for a couple of beers. :D

Cheers.

100s, probably. Enough, anyway. :D

Agreed. There IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. :o I only frequent a couple of bars because it is more fun when you actually get to know some of the staff and the regular clients.

Agreed. There IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. :o I only frequent a couple of bars because it is more fun when you actually get to know some of the staff and the regular clients.

It would be interesting to have a thread about which bars people think are 'good' etc.

It would be interesting to have a thread about which bars people think are 'good' etc.

That is hard to determine because everyone wants something different from a bar experience. Some people just like to drink in a quiet atmosphere and be able to talk with friends. Some like to play pool. Some just like places with "hot" girls. Some people like noise and others like quiet. Some want to watch sports on TV. And, some of us like places where we know the staff and owners. I happen to like the O Ho bar off Loi Kroh road (where they have the kick boxing). The owners are pleasant and I know the regulars.

- Abysmal tourist sex scene.

Maybe compared to Bangkok and Pattaya, but there are 1,000s of venues of all types around town. CM is pretty good compared to lots of other places. :D

1000s???

When you think about all of the Farang, Thai, Japanese bars, massage parlors, "houses" - most of which Thai speaking farangs are welcome in - I would say well over 1,000 venues anyway. :o

- Abysmal tourist sex scene.

Maybe compared to Bangkok and Pattaya, but there are 1,000s of venues of all types around town. CM is pretty good compared to lots of other places. :D

1000s???

When you think about all of the Farang, Thai, Japanese bars, massage parlors, "houses" - most of which Thai speaking farangs are welcome in - I would say well over 1,000 venues anyway. :o

Pity there's not a 'guide' with marks out of 10 for various elements... would sell well!

I'm afraid that this is the kind of thing that Thai authorities frown on. Years ago, a fellow that I met wrote a dictionary about sexual terms in Thailand and published it here. He ended up being thrown out of the country and he published it overseas. It is still in print and other people have copied it.

Several years ago another book about Thai culture that sold really well was banned for being a tad too honest (I can't remember the name).

It is best not to rub these things in anyone's face. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

That is hard to determine because everyone wants something different from a bar experience. Some people just like to drink in a quiet atmosphere and be able to talk with friends. Some like to play pool. Some just like places with "hot" girls. Some people like noise and others like quiet. Some want to watch sports on TV. And, some of us like places where we know the staff and owners.

I think Number 1 bar checks just about all of those in a single place, though. :o It's a bit too quiet and sedate for me later at night, and there are far too many people looking like typical Thaivisa members, but other than that it's perfect. :D

Other than that you're right of course. What makes a good bar is often more related to having 1 or 2 staff that you like and 1 or 2 regulars that you like.

That is hard to determine because everyone wants something different from a bar experience. Some people just like to drink in a quiet atmosphere and be able to talk with friends. Some like to play pool. Some just like places with "hot" girls. Some people like noise and others like quiet. Some want to watch sports on TV. And, some of us like places where we know the staff and owners.

I think Number 1 bar checks just about all of those in a single place, though. :o It's a bit too quiet and sedate for me later at night, and there are far too many people looking like typical Thaivisa members, but other than that it's perfect. :D

Other than that you're right of course. What makes a good bar is often more related to having 1 or 2 staff that you like and 1 or 2 regulars that you like.

I used to go to Number One quite a bit until I found out they served 25cl not the usual 33cl measures AND they have recently even stopped the free peanuts they always served - changed for the worst in my view - but they have got the decor right and the girls are friendly.

Old broken down with a beer belly and English accent and a look of biting a lemon?

Hi

I think you have had some good info so I wont try to answer anything except yes there are Harley riders here and we have some nice rides to take especially if you like mountain views. Go to Richco for Harley on Wualai rd near Chiang Mai Gate.

just about all the comments that have been made re Pattaya V Chiangmai are correct including the one that you can always pop back down to Pattaya for a holiday which is exactly what the mrs and I are doing today now Songkran is over.

cheers

:o

When Guzzi started his thread it was snowy white ... it sure has drifted.

He-He, yes correct Waiwai but that is okay, I am sure the bits off topic have many member's interest too. :D

Well I been speaking to my wife and she don't want to move from Pattaya, but would like to live on the "dark side" on Sukhumvit Road where houses/land are cheaper than the "inside side" where we live now. The scenery over there is quite nice, green, lush, small mountains and so on, and I don't want to argue with a pregnant woman too much, he-he. :o Well we will see what happens in the future, never say never.

I will however never sell my Harley, and have told the soon to be mother that I will continue going on trips with HOG all over Thailand in the future, which she accept. :D

Well I been speaking to my wife and she don't want to move from Pattaya, but would like to live on the "dark side" on Sukhumvit Road where houses/land are cheaper than the "inside side" where we live now. The scenery over there is quite nice, green, lush, small mountains and so on, and I don't want to argue with a pregnant woman too much, he-he. :o Well we will see what happens in the future, never say never.

Glad you made the right decision. You left it up to her. It is ALWAYS the woman who makes the final decision if you want to have a stable, viable relationship in the future. But, be sure to bring her up to Chiang Mai when she's had the baby and have a good look around. There is much to be said for both places. Pattaya is a lot more "lively" and DOES have the beaches, but Chiang Mai has its own special charm. When it's time for the child to go to school you might change your mind where to live.

And, when we went "off topic" on this thread you learned a little about Chiang Mai.

I used to go to Number One quite a bit until I found out they served 25cl not the usual 33cl measures AND they have recently even stopped the free peanuts they always served - changed for the worst in my view - but they have got the decor right and the girls are friendly.

Ha, I STARTED going to Number 1 for those reasons... Better if you're on a diet. :o I like that they give you the can or bottle with the mixed drinks, so you take in a lot less alcohol, which is good. (If I just wanted a lot of alcohol then 7-eleven has a great selection.). And for the beer drinkers there's absolutley no arguing with the beer selection.

Well I been speaking to my wife and she don't want to move from Pattaya, but would like to live on the "dark side" on Sukhumvit Road where houses/land are cheaper than the "inside side" where we live now. The scenery over there is quite nice, green, lush, small mountains and so on, and I don't want to argue with a pregnant woman too much, he-he. :D Well we will see what happens in the future, never say never.

That reminded me of another consideration.... When your significant other is not from Chiang Mai or the North then some seem to have trouble adapting and fitting in. In Pattaya when you're either from the East (Chonburi, Rayong etc) or from Isaan then there's a natural support network of people from the same region. I've seen it a couple times where non-Northerners have some trouble finding a circle of friends or even just fitting in. Obviously for some people this is no issue at all and they just fit in, others find that they grow into it especially after learning to speak Muang.. But often some effort is required to fit in. It's just something to be aware of, so before moving permanently I would spend considerable time in a particular region to make sure the whole family fits in.

Chiangmai boring in the long run ... ?

I have no long time living experience in Chiangmai, only visited the city and surroundings during a 2 weeks stay.

I think all places in Thailand get boring in the long run,

just like Phuket, Pattaya, Hua hin and Koh Samui ...

Unless you have to spend your days and activities at the beach - You will find similar activites in all cities that i quoted.

There are many places to go out and visit/relax in Chiangmai, many things to do, and if you rent or own a property like you say with a big garden and maybe a swimmingpool to spend some minutes in every day, you can have a great life there.