Ministry To Ban Alcohol Next Songkran

george

My next door neighbour was stopped and tested in his car during Songkhran- He failed. He told me the legal limit is '50' (He was 65) but I don't know of what. Fifty beers seems a bit high to drive, lol. He got an 8000 baht fine and a night in the slammer. He now has a 1 year probation in which he cannot drink any alcohol and drive. I think 'gobsmacked' would be the best word to describe his reaction.

So whilst the death toll may not have dropped; the bib, in my area at least, were enforcing the law. Bit of a bummer for my neighbour though.

My next door neighbour was stopped and tested in his car during Songkhran- He failed. He told me the legal limit is '50' (He was 65) but I don't know of what. Fifty beers seems a bit high to drive, lol. He got an 8000 baht fine and a night in the slammer. He now has a 1 year probation in which he cannot drink any alcohol and drive. I think 'gobsmacked' would be the best word to describe his reaction.

So whilst the death toll may not have dropped; the bib, in my area at least, were enforcing the law. Bit of a bummer for my neighbour though.

His nationality?

Ban alcohol, don't ban it, I don't care. I am really starting to hate Songkran (boorish behaviour, traffic accidents) and I'll sky-up next year before the infamous "traditional" holiday begins.

Back to the original point, I really can't imagine an alcohol ban being strictly enforced. They could close down a few bars and restrict sales at Tesco, Carrefour and other major retailers, but the Mom and Pop shops would certainly enjoy a surge in business :D

It's their country and they will decide what the solution is. In the mean time, I'll just shuffle along and vote with my feet.

PS-For the record, farangs are guility of some of the most Songkran excesses :o

It doesn't matter if they ban buying alcohol over songkran, cause there will just be record sales on the booze a couple of days before. The Thais will just fill the back of the pick up with alcohol and relatives then head off to their home village

What's amazing is I am sure those who are pushing for the 'ban' are aware of this fact yet still push ahead with this nonsensical idea. Why can't they understand logic when it comes to this?

But for fun and hopefully to shut them up, let's try it next year and see if it makes any difference in the injury / death rates.

(If they were really clever, perhaps they would consider banning the sale of soda and ice as well).