When A Thai Bank Pays You Out Too Much ...

Stupid b*stards Siam Commercial at Central Power, Ramkhamhaeng paid me out for GBP 100 instead of GBP 50 simple cash conversion to baht. I spotted it immediately but kept quiet to see what they would do, if anything. Later hear my name on the PA system whilst shopping upstairs but can't be bothered to return to the branch lugging heavy bags of groceries. Get back home 8.30 PM. Knock on door 10.30 PM and three bank staff, accompanied by my security guard, want half their money back! No problem ... enjoy teasing them in Thai about banks not being able to count money.

In a western country I can't see bank staff even being willing to work up till 10.30 PM, let alone visit customers' homes. They would have called at a civilised hour the next day, right? Lucky for them I gave a true address, although they did photocopy my passport -- however the booths on Sukhumvit don't do this for cash. It does give rise to the question of 'Would a traveller be stopped at the airport on his final departure if he had moved on from his temporary hotel and the bank had been unable to track him down?' Given TiT I could easily see his homeward flight being missed while immigration sorts out the mess with the police and the bank ... comments?

Why didn't you do the honest and honorable thing when you "noticed it right away" ? What kind of person does it show you to be? You were okay with taking the money that wasn't yours and forcing the teller to repay her honest mistake from her crappy little salary- or maybe get fired, weren't you?

Why didn't you do the honest and honorable thing when you "noticed it right away" ? What kind of person does it show you to be? You were okay with taking the money that wasn't yours and forcing the teller to repay her honest mistake from her crappy little salary- or maybe get fired, weren't you?

spot on.

if you expect thais to treat you with respect and equality whilst you are here, then the lest you can do is behave in a similar fashion.

shame on you.

Indeed! Why should there be an issue here -- if there was a mistake at the bank, do you feel empowered to keep the mistake? Would you let the bank keep the mistake if it was reversed?

Basic honesty here ... wonder where it is?

Stupid b*stards Siam Commercial at Central Power, Ramkhamhaeng paid me out for GBP 100 instead of GBP 50 simple cash conversion to baht.  I spotted it immediately but kept quiet to see what they would do, if anything.  Later hear my name on the PA system whilst shopping upstairs but can't be bothered to return to the branch lugging heavy bags of groceries.  Get back home 8.30 PM.  Knock on door 10.30 PM and three bank staff, accompanied by my security guard, want half their money back!  No problem ... enjoy teasing them in Thai about banks not being able to count money.

In a western country I can't see bank staff even being willing to work up till 10.30 PM, let alone visit customers' homes.  They would have called at a civilised hour the next day, right?  Lucky for them I gave a true address, although they did photocopy my passport -- however the booths on Sukhumvit don't do this for cash.  It does give rise to the question of 'Would a traveller be stopped at the airport on his final departure if he had moved on from his temporary hotel and the bank had been unable to track him down?'  Given TiT I could easily see his homeward flight being missed while immigration sorts out the mess with the police and the bank ... comments?

50 GBP is about half a month salary for the poor cashier, no wonder, he (she ) is worried - only comment: shame on you, and you better have a problem coming in next time, not on going out! :D:o

I was running a small company in Honolulu before comming here three years ago and I noticed the following day on the internet connection to my company bank account that a depoit I had made the day before, and confirmed through internet access to my account after returning to the office had, magically been reduced and the account was credited for less than the receipt I had from the teller regarding the transaction and the confirmed amount through the internet the day before.

Breathing fire I called for a major investigation and found out the following about this FDIC institution that operated in many states

1. They only "reconcile cash" not negotialble instruments.

2. The tellers computer entry of the transaction which immediately changes the amounts in your account and as reported on the online banking system, is only a "memo" and that the only final entry is that made by the girl at night who enteres the "memo" amount into the federal reserve banking system.

3. Thus, if the girl at night enters the wrong amount into the federal reserve system, it is up to the customer to find the error. The bank has no system in place to check if errors are made in the bank's favor from "memo" to final entry.

I wondered if the bank checks for errors made against it?

So those of you who think good banks reconcile all transactions, think again. Reconcile your own statements every month or else.

I was running a small company in Honolulu before comming here three years ago and I noticed the following day on the internet connection to my company bank account that a depoit I had made the day before, and confirmed through internet access to my account after returning to the office had, magically been reduced and the account  was credited for  less than the receipt I had from the teller regarding the transaction and the confirmed amount through the internet the day before.

Breathing fire I called for a major investigation and found out the following about this FDIC institution that operated in many states

1.  They only "reconcile cash" not negotialble instruments.

2.  The tellers computer entry of the transaction which immediately changes the amounts in your account and as reported on the online banking system, is only a "memo" and that the only final entry is that made by the girl at night who enteres the "memo" amount into the federal reserve banking system.

3.  Thus, if the girl at night enters the wrong amount into the federal reserve system, it is up to the customer to find the error.  The bank has no system in place to check if errors are made in the bank's favor from "memo" to final entry.

I wondered if the bank checks for errors made against it?

So those of you who think good banks reconcile all transactions, think again.  Reconcile your own statements every month or else.

Darn good advice!

I do a lot of banking between here and the States, and I've had similar issues, including multiple debits. I keep real close watch now...

But, on the other side, I used the ATM at Thai Miltary bank a few months ago, and had a problem with the machine using a debit card from citibankUS.... The next day, when I was checking my citi account online, I saw a debit for the $$ equivelant of my baht request. The next line was a credit for the same amount. The ATM gave no indication that I was being debited- it errored-out before reaching a final stage, I thought. I think it was TMB that caught the error, but not sure...

I've been 'credited' by a few street sellers, and they always inhaled a big breath when I pointed out their error... But, what if CitiBankUS made a nice big mistake in my favour? Wow, that might be a test of my character :o:D

Stupid b*stards Siam Commercial at Central Power, Ramkhamhaeng paid me out for GBP 100 instead of GBP 50 simple cash conversion to baht.  I spotted it immediately but kept quiet to see what they would do, if anything.  Later hear my name on the PA system whilst shopping upstairs but can't be bothered to return to the branch lugging heavy bags of groceries.  Get back home 8.30 PM.  Knock on door 10.30 PM and three bank staff, accompanied by my security guard, want half their money back!  No problem ... enjoy teasing them in Thai about banks not being able to count money.

In a western country I can't see bank staff even being willing to work up till 10.30 PM, let alone visit customers' homes.  They would have called at a civilised hour the next day, right?  Lucky for them I gave a true address, although they did photocopy my passport -- however the booths on Sukhumvit don't do this for cash.  It does give rise to the question of 'Would a traveller be stopped at the airport on his final departure if he had moved on from his temporary hotel and the bank had been unable to track him down?'  Given TiT I could easily see his homeward flight being missed while immigration sorts out the mess with the police and the bank ... comments?

Stupid boy -- bah! :o

Stupid boy -- bah! :o

Would the bank have come knocking on my door at ANY time or ANY day if they had UNDERPAID? No f*cking way, especially in Thailand. Banks are nasty, cruel, heartless money-grubbing b*stards basically run by 12-year-olds with a low inclination towards cheating their employers. If they make the employee pay for her mistake, then tough shit ... would have had a hard job recouping the GPB 50,000 quoted above though! What a jerk to return it when it is merely a civil matter and the bank, apparently, hadn't even spotted it, let alone instigated recovery proceedings. What the heck, it's only money ... life is much cheaper than that in the third world.

My sole worry if they hadn't spotted THEIR error would have been being stopped on departure and missing my flight. But -- so far -- no-one has related any such experience, and quite probably immigration would not become involved in matters of a non-criminal nature.

Edited by Trevor

Ohh the bank had been chasing it.. They had called him and visited his home but he had gone to ground with the cash..

My advise was get his assets out of his name fast and deny deny deny.. I would have considered leaving the area for a while for 50k GBP but he has a more stable life than me..

If they make the employee pay for her mistake, then tough shit ...

£50, £50,000........... it's all relative, isn't it? If you "win" £50 and she loses her job, does that feel like a fair exchange to you? Wouldn't sit easy with my conscience - but then I also think that what goes around comes around.........

My sole worry if they hadn't spotted THEIR error would have been being stopped on departure and missing my flight. But -- so far -- no-one has related any such experience, and quite probably immigration would not become involved in matters of a non-criminal nature

You've already admitted to theft of money, so, in fact, you are a criminal. A criminal who wants to blame everyone else for their self-generated problems. Reminds me of the same crap I used to hear from inmates when I was a prison counselor for a period.

Interesting comments...  :o So it's OK to rob the bank as long as the employees don't pay for it? :D

No. And not the point I was making (as I think you know).

I know. I wasn't reffering to your post in particular. It just seemed strange that most of the critisism expressed here was based on the possible negative outcome to the employee, while it is actually not clear that there shall be such outcome. If is it so simple for the bank to take half the employee's salary they wouldn't bother sending armed guards all to way to this guy's apartment.

The immidiate outcome here is loss of money to the bank. That's the point here, not some other hypothetical line of events.

In any way, there are all the elements of criminal offence here: the intention to commit the offence (he knew it was a mistake and deliberatley kept quiet) and the actual doing (taking it + ignoring the request to return it).

Interesting comments...  :o So it's OK to rob the bank as long as the employees don't pay for it? :D

No. And not the point I was making (as I think you know).

I know. I wasn't reffering to your post in particular. It just seemed strange that most of the critisism expressed here was based on the possible negative outcome to the employee, while it is actually not clear that there shall be such outcome. If is it so simple for the bank to take half the employee's salary they wouldn't bother sending armed guards all to way to this guy's apartment.

The immidiate outcome here is loss of money to the bank. That's the point here, not some other hypothetical line of events.

In any way, there are all the elements of criminal offence here: the intention to commit the offence (he knew it was a mistake and deliberatley kept quiet) and the actual doing (taking it + ignoring the request to return it).

Understood. Certainly most of the posts show zero sympathy for the original poster - not difficult to see why IMHO...........

Agree and that's certainly WHY they showed up at 10:30pm.... someone's employment was very likely on the line.

I'll bet Trevor will think twice before starting another thread like this one...

I'll also bet that Trevor won't think twice if such an opportunity to steal money is offered up again... He has reinterated his character in every message he's posted here.

Thanks for more bad feelings towards the rest of us honest and decent farangs here, ######.

Ajarn,

Do you wear a halo?

:D

It sure ain't hard to take a 'higher' road here, na'? :D

And, if you do happen to see a halo over someone's head, God (no, not "dad"!), or whatever, will grant you something good from the experience, I feel sure. :o:D

Edited by Ajarn