Murder Of Bar Girl

tjr

My friend in Chiang Mai told me that a bar girl was murdered two nights ago by a foreigner. I haven't found any details on the web. Can anyone confirm this, and provide any info from the local media? I have always wondered how many of these girls go missing and just disappear. In most countries prostitutes are at high risk of murder.

I imagine the risk is even higher in Thailand because it doesn't seem like anyone tries to keep track of them, or go to the police if one disappears. It is sad enough that the girls have to work in this business because of the poverty, but it seems they have nobody to turn to, and no organizations advocating for their safety.

Edited by tjr

My friend in Chiang Mai told me that a bar girl was murdered two nights ago by a foreigner. I haven't found any details on the web. Can anyone confirm this, and provide any info from the local media? I have always wondered how many of these girls go missing and just disappear. In most countries prostitutes are at high risk of murder.

I imagine the risk is even higher in Thailand because it doesn't seem like anyone tries to keep track of them, or go to the police if one disappears. It is sad enough that the girls have to work in this business because of the poverty, but it seems they have nobody to turn to, and no organizations advocating for their safety.

Might your friend have been referring to this sad story from a few weeks ago?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Lady-Mu...an-t251732.html

There isn't much difference between Thailand and most other countries with prostituton. The main difference is that there are places that provide safety and support to them.

There are groups in Chiang Mai (EMPOWER being one such group) who do provide some support to the girls of the night.

If my memory serves me correctly they even opened their own bar in Chiang Mai Land.

I have looked out for this bar when travelling thru CML however have never spotted it. Perhaps it has shut shop already :o

I would agree that the realm does not have the range of support groups for these girls that other country's do.

There are groups in Chiang Mai (EMPOWER being one such group) who do provide some support to the girls of the night.

If my memory serves me correctly they even opened their own bar in Chiang Mai Land.

I have looked out for this bar when travelling thru CML however have never spotted it. Perhaps it has shut shop already :o

No it's there. It's the one with the red sigh with green lettering saying "Experitainment". Bar is called 'Can Do'. It's on the right hand side when coming from Chang Klan, not too far from Chang Klan.

While it's open, it's not very happening at the moment unless they have a party. Bit of a weird location, but they needed to combine a casual bar function with an office & education function upstairs. Still I would love it if they were somewhat more in the tourist bar area.

I would agree that the realm does not have the range of support groups for these girls that other country's do.

It's actually worse, because government tends to actively work AGAINST groups like Empower who are in it to support the girls WITHOUT trying to get them out of the industry other than by providing options and empowerment through education. They basically would prefer to legalize prostitution and make social and health benefits mandatory just like it is for other professions. That doesn't sit well with idiots in governent (culture ministry...) who consider it 'un-Thai' and prefer to stick their heads in the sand or honestly don't care about 'lower class people'.

www.empowerfoundation.org

It's actually worse, because government tends to actively work AGAINST groups like Empower who are in it to support the girls WITHOUT trying to get them out of the industry other than by providing options and empowerment through education. They basically would prefer to legalize prostitution and make social and health benefits mandatory just like it is for other professions. That doesn't sit well with idiots in governent (culture ministry...) who consider it 'un-Thai' and prefer to stick their heads in the sand or honestly don't care about 'lower class people'.

www.empowerfoundation.org

Agreed! And that is why a few of us quietly try to help certain individuals on a personal basis. You can't save the whole world, but if you can help just a few then you've done a good deed. The biggest problem is actually helping someone to help themself rather than just giving a welfare handout. Once someone is on the dole they tend not to get off it.

I talked about this with the one i am with right now and for the last few days. She has an education and she said she can

get a job making ~10,000bt a month. I asked why u not go get job. She said "I work bar and make 20-40K"

So it just boils down to money

BTW she is hand washing my laundry as i type

Don't try and get too misty eyed folks, a fair few girls enjoy this work, the others like the money it brings.

Meddle all you want but at the end of the day the onus is on the girl to do what they gotta do.

I hope it's okay to get 'misty eyed' about murder, or about reducing the ill effects that result from being in this line of work, either physically or psychologically?

I talked about this with the one i am with right now and for the last few days. She has an education and she said she can

get a job making ~10,000bt a month. I asked why u not go get job. She said "I work bar and make 20-40K"

So it just boils down to money

BTW she is hand washing my laundry as i type

About the same rate as an English teacher and much less effort.

Don't try and get too misty eyed folks, a fair few girls enjoy this work, the others like the money it brings.

Meddle all you want but at the end of the day the onus is on the girl to do what they gotta do.

a fair few.......lol.

a whole lotta them like their work. bkk is not known for being the worlds best whorehouse for no reason. the girls put out coz they want to.

a fair few.......lol.

a whole lotta them like their work. bkk is not known for being the worlds best whorehouse for no reason. the girls put out coz they want to.

It's a case of finding something you are good at and sticking with it. Some are good and many are not. The good ones get paid well. They all provide a valuable service, but there are risks involved in any business.