Evaluate My Photo

yumidesign

Nice tones, it would be interesting to see if the shadow detail held up when printed.

A bit too centered for me, but a good image and it will look nice on the wall if the full res version is sharp.

mmmmmm 'too centered' ? tonal as opposed to atonal. balance as opposed to imbalance or strength as opposed to weakness.

Nice tones, it would be interesting to see if the shadow detail held up when printed.

A bit too centered for me, but a good image and it will look nice on the wall if the full res version is sharp.

yep this pic does hang on a wall somewhere. printed at the local fuji shop in chiang mai, on what kind of printer i do not know......

but printed to 400mm by 400mm it was sharp and the background held quite well

i always sit down with the Thai printer guy at the shop. who i think kind of likes my work, and look at the imge on his screen and discuss specifications

ps. its physically centered as you put it, and square, because it suits the classic formal nature of the image

:o

I didn't say it doesn't work, but I always like to see if I can get more of an informal balance happening, like using the shadow shape to balance of the flower shape. This is just a personal quirk and not a real criticism of the shot. Single flowers are usually centered.

I also enjoy a square image. Brings me back to Hassleblad days.

Playing around a little with this image I think you can compress the highlights a bit to emphasise the petal texture and maybe open up the shadows. I've also darkened the shadow reflection of the plant for balance. Agreed this eliminates the isolation of the subject but maybe appeals.

It's a lovely subject and very nicely centred, which as a square format shooter I like.

Here's my attempt.

What do you think?

Edited by The Vulcan

Playing around a little with this image I think you can compress the highlights a bit to emphasise the petal texture and maybe open up the shadows. I've also darkened the shadow reflection of the plant for balance. Agreed this eliminates the isolation of the subject but maybe appeals.

It's a lovely subject and very nicely centred, which as a square format shooter I like.

Here's my attempt.

What do you think?

to be honest when the two images are enlarged and compared side by side i can not see a lot of difference

the lily comes from the amazing collection at Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden outside of chaing mai, i can not remember the time of year when most of the species flower, below is the original

post-34511-1240650760.jpg

but in the thumnails there appears to be quite a bit of difference

Edited by yumidesign