Sushi In Chiang Mai?

mp413

I have scoured this forum and the web and found plenty of lists of sushi restaurants in Chiang Mai but...none of them seem to be around anymore! Last time in Chiang Mai I had a tuk tuk drive me to two different places that sounded great but both were closed. I ended up at another Japanese restaurant that was good but had no sushi.

So my question: where can I find good sushi currently? My third night I went to Fuji in the shopping center, which was fine but their selection was pretty limited (maybe that's normal up here in land-locked Ch. Mai?). I also wasn't crazy about the atmosphere/decor. Is there any place that is currently open with a more traditional vibe and good sushi?

Thanks,

mp413

Central Airport in Chiang Mai has loads of Japanese restaurants, at least four of which sell sushi. One is on the ground floor near TOPS supermarket. Another is on the first floor. The other two are on the fourth floor. One of the ones on the fourth floor has an enormous sushi bar.

Edited by chrisartist

• 4 weeks later...
Moved to Chiang Mai subforum, where no doubt a lively discussion will follow. :)

So far so not lively. One somehow cannot help but wonder whether the lack of contention might possibly be related to the dearth of farang owners of sushi shops.

Theres a new restaraunt next to Pantip Plaza. I think its called shabushatsi or summin like that. Think that will have what you're looking for.

No. This is not a sushi place. Although the odd sushi plate may glide by once an hour.

Theres a new restaraunt next to Pantip Plaza. I think its called shabushatsi or summin like that. Think that will have what you're looking for.

No. This is not a sushi place. Although the odd sushi plate may glide by once an hour.

Some of the worst sushi, if you can call it that. It is a hog fest where they give you 1 hour and 15 minutes to eat as much as you can for about 260 Baht. The food is cheap and the selection poor. Place is or was packed, the tides appear to be turning and the crowds are realizing that this place is a poor excuse for a feed lot.

Stick to The Fuji. Although it has its off days, they do a brisk business and the fish is fresh and the food usually good. Zen at Airport Plaza also does a good business.

When it comes to sushi it is important to have a lot of customers to run through product and also to not be afraid to toss it out if it is old. Chiang Mai has a lot of little Japanese restaurants and I have tried a few. For Japanese food they are alright but when dealing with fresh raw fish, most of the sushi in town is not made with fresh raw fish including Fuji and Zen, stick with the popular places. There is not much of a secret when it comes to sushi besides the rice and a few of the condiments that accompany the sushi. Fresh is the key word.

I have scoured this forum and the web and found plenty of lists of sushi restaurants in Chiang Mai but...none of them seem to be around anymore! Last time in Chiang Mai I had a tuk tuk drive me to two different places that sounded great but both were closed. I ended up at another Japanese restaurant that was good but had no sushi.

So my question: where can I find good sushi currently? My third night I went to Fuji in the shopping center, which was fine but their selection was pretty limited (maybe that's normal up here in land-locked Ch. Mai?). I also wasn't crazy about the atmosphere/decor. Is there any place that is currently open with a more traditional vibe and good sushi?

Thanks,

mp413

there are so many sushi places sprouted up everywhere here a blind,drunk squrriel could stumble upon a few of these joints a day ....waste of TV space ,move topic to handicap ,drunk squrrile for-ram .post-77745-1243144586.jpg

Edited by gatorhead333

Some of the worst sushi, if you can call it that. It is a hog fest where they give you 1 hour and 15 minutes to eat as much as you can for about 260 Baht. The food is cheap and the selection poor. Place is or was packed, the tides appear to be turning and the crowds are realizing that this place is a poor excuse for a feed lot.

Stick to The Fuji. Although it has its off days, they do a brisk business and the fish is fresh and the food usually good. Zen at Airport Plaza also does a good business.

When it comes to sushi it is important to have a lot of customers to run through product and also to not be afraid to toss it out if it is old. Chiang Mai has a lot of little Japanese restaurants and I have tried a few. For Japanese food they are alright but when dealing with fresh raw fish, most of the sushi in town is not made with fresh raw fish including Fuji and Zen, stick with the popular places. There is not much of a secret when it comes to sushi besides the rice and a few of the condiments that accompany the sushi. Fresh is the key word.

I agree with every word. Fuji and Zen are both fine and neither is overly expensive. :)

Do they do raw fish sushi? That is what I prefer, but I would be really worried about what you would get from one of those stands.

at the got farang wed thur best sushi 5 -10 baht only place to buy eat sushi ,the guy is at temple on walking street on sundays. i buy twenty 10 baht california makies get a few extra freebe .

hard to think about fugi zen etc. anymore.

Do they do raw fish sushi? That is what I prefer, but I would be really worried about what you would get from one of those stands.

at the got farang wed thur best sushi 5 -10 baht only place to buy eat sushi ,the guy is at tmeple on walking tsreet on sundays. i buy twenty 10 baht california makies get a few extra freebe .

hard to think about fugi zen etc. anymore.

I would not buy sushi from those places since they do not refrigerate the sushi properly. You could get violently ill from spoiled fish. I think most of the stuff they sell is made to look like sushi but is really cooked fish. A lot of it has sweet sauce and junk on it. :)

That is how I feel. I would buy the ones with only vegetables with no problem, but I am not all that fond of that kind.

There is a small soi to the left of the Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel (if you are in front, looking at it) that has the cheapest, high quality sushi made from fresh fish that I know of in Chiang Mai. There is a sign advertising it and the upstairs massage parlor on Sri Don Chai. The name starts with a "D", but I can not remember the rest - something like "Daruka?"

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think so. With the regular things like seaweed, shrimp/fish roe, etc. Even small markets way out of town have these now. It was a lot better than I expected. (Didn't expect THAT much, but I was pleasantly surprised)