Advice On Chiangmai ?

bankha

Hello,

Me and my wife and 3 year old daughter are planning to come upto chaingmai in early October for a week or two. I would like to know if anybody knows of any good hotels in the price range of 3000 baht a night for us and child friendly and if possible a swimming pool? We dont mind if a bit out of chiangmai itself as we will be having our car with us.

Also any good places to visit while we are there or near there. We have already decided to go to the night zoo but any other help would be very grateful. As i dont have a clue about chiangmai neither does my wife as we live down in Ratchaburi.

Thanks,

Paul

Hello,

Me and my wife and 3 year old daughter are planning to come upto chaingmai in early October for a week or two. I would like to know if anybody knows of any good hotels in the price range of 3000 baht a night for us and child friendly and if possible a swimming pool? We dont mind if a bit out of chiangmai itself as we will be having our car with us.

Also any good places to visit while we are there or near there. We have already decided to go to the night zoo but any other help would be very grateful. As i dont have a clue about chiangmai neither does my wife as we live down in Ratchaburi.

Thanks,

Paul

There is already a thread on what to do in Chiang Mai. All you have to do is search for it. As far as a hotel is concerned I can't help you because I'm back in Canada, but you shouldn't have any problem getting a room for 3000 baht a night. The nice hotel where I stay only charges 350 baht a night, but it doesn't have a pool. I've stayed at the Chiang Mai Gate hotel before and they charged less than 1000 baht. They have a pool and restaurant, and breakfast is included in the price.

You'll be arriving around the rainy season, but if you live in Ratchaburi you already know that. The trip up to Doi Suthep (temple on top of mountain) is worthwhile as is the regular zoo on the way there. The regular zoo has Panda bears and pony rides for children. There is a small stream that comes down off the Doi Suthep mountain where you can have a refreshing dip in a natural park setting with many pretty waterfalls. I have lots of photographs if you are interested. Just ask and I'll post them.

Hello,

Really all i want to know is some numbers of hotels and where the hotels are what are decent with peoples own experience of them ?

But a bonus would be advice on what would be a nice day out for my daughter and us on a few days while up there.

Paul

Hello,

Really all i want to know is some numbers of hotels and where the hotels are what are decent with peoples own experience of them ?

But a bonus would be advice on what would be a nice day out for my daughter and us on a few days while up there.

Paul

Usually has everything info wise & guests comments

http://www.hotelthailand.com/

Still tend to stay at the Dun 2 wan...@ 1400 bt a night /double room including breakfast.

Got a deal last week ...stayed 2 nights and got one FREE.

Right in the middle of town near the market-shopping and not far from the red lion....+ other restaurants... :o

Hello,

Thanks,

Paul

Hello Paul,

Have a look at:

http://frankschiangmai.blogspot.com/

- 'Places to Stay'

I admit that its is subective and in no way comprehensive, and as you can see by the date - I have not updated it for a while. If you wish to PM me I can also give you what else has appeared on the market and just what some of the current rates are. Currently there are some very good deals around.

Good luck

Gladiator

We have a three year old. Here are a few ideas. All have swimming pools with a kiddy section....

Imperial Chiang Mai (slightly out of the city)

Yaang Come Village (in the city - I've never stayed there but several other families recommend it)

Juniper Tree Guesthouse (It's a missionary hangout and I'm not sure who exactly is allowed to stay there. I've only visited it and thought that it was probably the most kid-friendly place in the city. They have a kid's playground as well).

By the way, the night safari is one of our family's hang-outs. We go Saturday morning. 50 baht an adult and nobody is ever there. It's like our own private zoo.

I don't know what you are looking for in a Hotel, but don't go by pricepoint, go by the newest hotels. Chiang Mai orchid is 2000+ baht but has gone down hill so much in the last few years I wouldnt pay more than 500B a night to stay there...

There is a decent hotel off the corner of the moat (Near chumpaa Muu kataa, I think thats Chang Puuak and Tapae) About 600-800 baht. My Thai friends were put there when they come up from BKK to play gigs in CM and say it's nice.

3000 baht is a very nice budget. Most hotels cost far less, indeed the Chiang Mai Gate hotel is a great budget option with a pool and in an interesting and less touristy area. Rooms start around 800 baht.

But if you want to spend the 3000 then I would suggest a nice place inside the old town, which is a quiet and interesting area. Many boutique hotels have opened there, most are really very nice.

For example:

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_...naga_hotel.html (2,500 baht)

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_...rene_hotel.html (2,500 baht)

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_...lage_hotel.html (2,300 baht)

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_...ouse_hotel.html (2,200 baht)

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_..._mai_hotel.html (3,800 baht)

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_...lage_hotel.html (3,900 baht) (bit overpriced at this rate, though the grounds and architecture are beautiful. Small rooms though)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

But anyway, those are the 'new' 'boutique' hotel crowd.. Another way you can go is go for the previous top-end glory of years gone by... For years and years, the Amari Rincome was THE top hotel in Chiang Mai. Obviously it isn't anymore, but it's still a decent choice, and frankly a complete steal, I just checked the rates and it's incredible... Would you believe 1300 baht for the Amari Rincome..

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_...come_hotel.html

Others in that group include the Orchid Hotel (1200 baht!) and possibly the Holiday Inn (1,359 baht!). Another big tourist class hotel is the Amora Thapae .. 1,228 baht.. no arguing with that. They're not chique or trendy or 'boutique' anymore, but very solid hotels for highly competative prices.

Rincome hotel is on Nimmanhaemin Road, which is a trendy and booming area. A bit out of town (10 minute drive though)

Another option (generally speaking now) that's highly interesting if you have a car is the Chiang Mai Best Western.. Which has very solid rooms, in a completely weird location as you can't walk to absolutely anything, but if you have a car then again in 10 minutes you're in town).. No pool, but would you believe you can get it for 690 baht.. Again an awesome budget choice for people with cars.. It's a buyers market in Chiang Mai..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hello,

Thanks,

Paul

If your daughter is old enough to appreciate it, the zoo here in Chiang Mai is really something to see. It's been a year or so since I went and I was really impressed with how clean, organized and informative it was.

If you want to be out of town then I recommend my hotel ( of course) If you click the advertising link at the top of the page it will get you to the website. It is Away Suansawan (Thai for paradise garden). It has 2 pools, a fitness room, a great spa and plenty of gardens, trees, fish-ponds and a lake. It is really excellent for children if you wamt to get away from the traffic and noise

With the economy the way it is, you can probably get a room at the Shangri-La, RatiLanna, Amari Rincome, even try Rachamankha or D2 for that price range. All have their strengths. Shang is near night bazaar, but a bit empty in such a huge building, RatiLanna is pretty by the river, but you can't walk anywhere, Amari is good for Nimmanhaemin nightlife and shopping, Rachamankha is central and boutiquely beautiful and D2 is trendy and in night bazaar.

If you want to be out of town then I recommend my hotel ( of course) If you click the advertising link at the top of the page it will get you to the website. It is Away Suansawan (Thai for paradise garden). It has 2 pools, a fitness room, a great spa and plenty of gardens, trees, fish-ponds and a lake. It is really excellent for children if you wamt to get away from the traffic and noise

Thanks, I normally don't get the ads but disabled the ad blocker and visited your site. I have a huge question that I always wanted to ask a hotel operator:

How is it possible that agents and booking sites offer rooms at half the price of either the walk-in price or the price on the hotel's own website? I mean when the guest books through an agent then the agent takes a cut as well, meaning that's even less money in. I just genuinely don't understand it. Is there a business reason why this makes sense?