Pattaya To Woo Visitors With Free Rooms

george

I have only ever payed in cash at check-out time, never at registration, and I have almost always been a walk-in customer at those places (i.e. no reservation in advance) and stayed for a few days to a couple weeks at various times. I have only ever stayed at one place in Pattaya, so I do not have a lot of experience with the general hotel market there. Where have you stayed that required paying in full at registration time? I will remember to avoid them!

I've booked with several online booking companies (Agoda) for example and they take the all money in advance.

RAZZ

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya to woo visitors with free rooms

BANGKOK: -- Tourism operators in Pattaya plan to offer free hotel rooms from May 1 to Oct 31 to attract local and international tourists during the low season.

Apart from hotels, restaurants and shopping malls will also join the campaign, offering discounts up to 50%. Final details will be decided tomorrow.

The seaside resort city is facing difficult times because of the global economic recession and local political problems, said Chatchawal Supachayanont, president of the Eastern Chapter of the Thai Hotels Association (THA).

"With this campaign, we hope tourists and meeting, incentive, convention and exhibition (Mice) activities will be lured back to Pattaya again and tourism sentiment will improve as well," he said.

Mr Chatchawal said Pattaya's hotels had about 20,000 rooms and that all operators would join the promotion.

"This is the first time we have had co-operation from all parties, aiming to restore Pattaya's tourism image," he said.

"Average occupancy was not so bad at around 30-40% after the Songkran festival. But we are very concerned about reservations from overseas, which are not coming yet."

Pattaya's image took a hit just before Songkran when red-shirted protesters forced the cancellation of the Asean Summit after they stormed the meeting site, the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel.

Operators in Pattaya hope that when Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva goes abroad he will be able to explain the problems in Thailand and how the government intends to solve them, in order to restore confidence among visitors.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-22

Free rooms my a**e!!!!!

After 21 years travelling to Thailand the only thing that I have found to be free is mosquito bites.

But has it put me off travelling.......no.

But why is the Baht so strong against the £ after all the red and yellow shirt bulls**t??????

maybe they should make the flights to thailand cheaper

I have just booked Melbourne to Sandakan, Borneo 6 nights incl to KL ( Malaysian) to Chiang Mai to KL (AA) to MEL ( Malaysian) $AUD850 flights. $US600 E 450.

This is the cheapest you will get.

Trip #14 to Thailand.....since 2002.

Still looking for a Thai female , 5'4" long dark hair, brown eyes, nice body and a beautiful smile, what are my chances in finding one?

It would not be surprise me if the brilliant promotion is valid for Thai nationals only...

Of course this promotion if for the home and local (southeast Asia) market. The date range covers the traditional low-season, i.e. the period when the number of overseas visitors are always low. There has never been any TAT sanctioned marketing plan to bring farang tourists here in the summer time and they aren't about to start now. As some have pointed out, air fares have risen so expect passenger loads to be less for the longer hail, more expensive flights from Europe and USA, etc. However, the hop from Taiwan or India is much shorter and the fare increase proportionately less so these are the foreign (not farang) tourists these promotions will be aimed at.

Edited by NanLaew

Last time there was a problem in Bangkok at the airport and the tourists fled any way they could they went ahead and decreased the 30 day visa on arrival ( by land ) to 15 days.

That automaticially doubles the amount of people entering the country if they have to go every 15 days to the border and then HEY PRESTO, what tourist problem ?

Visa-runners and other sorts of semi-resident, part-time resident, 'internet online working', sexpats, semi-retired balloon-chasers and others that avoid actually obtaining a Tourist Visa from a Thai Consul in their home country are not and never have been considered as Tourists by TAT.

We were thinking to buy us a house in Thailand for to spend the last time of our lives

there but when we get to know that you can not buy your land only lease it we change our mind and decided to buy in oanother country where you are allowed to own your plot.

We can not understand why the thai goverment not allowed foreigners to own a pice of land for to build a house. As we can understand it will gives a lot of work for the constructions company when people build their houses.

Now we will se whats happened.

A foreigner can legally own 1 rai of land for their primary private residence in Thailand as well as being permitted ownership of a condo; albeit both permissions come with caveats.

Regarding land ownership and material wealth at time of death, "You can't take it with you" and "There's no pockets in a shroud" spring to mind.

Rent and die happy.

Free rooms, WOW, what's the catch I wonder? I know one thing it will leave a few extra baht for drinking, dining and other entertainment. On the surface seem like a good idea that just might work, depending on the fine print(details).

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Last time there was a problem in Bangkok at the airport and the tourists fled any way they could they went ahead and decreased the 30 day visa on arrival ( by land ) to 15 days. That automaticially doubles the amount of people entering the country if they have to go every 15 days to the border and then HEY PRESTO, what tourist problem ? So now we have free visas, free rooms so what is the next carrot being offered to the tourist to lure them to the LOS. Time to increase the departure tax and decrease the visa on arrival to 7 days

Border runs do four things:

>>> keep tabs on farang.

>>> remind farang that they are outsiders

>>> generate revenue for biz people (van drivers, border vendors, etc)

>>> inconvenience farang.

The more frequent the border run requirements, the more inconvenient it becomes for farang who may want to enjoy what Thailand has to offer.

Sorry.

What's a "balloon chaser"? God, I feel so naive...

A term from the Big Mango Blog: Balloon Chaser.

A balloon chaser is a guy who goes looking for balloons in bars — a sure sign that there is some sort of party or special event. Cheap drinks and free food. Balloon chasers only drink at happy hours and parties.

http://bargirlsrpeople2.wordpress.com/2009...alloon-chasing/

There's a 1,000 year old Tibetan saying: "run to where bells clang, run to where the smoke rises"

It refers to festive events, in regard to poor people who sneak in, hoping to get free food.

It would not be surprise me if the brilliant promotion is valid for Thai nationals only...

That's a POINT !!!! i can 1000% agree with you !

well said !!!

Gee the Thai bashers are out in force today. Having read through the first page of messages (who could stomach more than one page?), not one person knows anything about the actual terms of any promotion, but that doesn't retard ( :o ) the rush to pick it apart, deride Thai intelligence, mock Thai business logic ...

What a bitter bunch of little old ladies. There should be a separate forum for the cranky grannies to tsk, tsk, tsk as a chorus even if there's nothing "newsworthy" to tsk about.

That's a POINT !!!! i can 1000% agree with you !

well said !!!

Gee the Thai bashers are out in force today. Having read through the first page of messages (who could stomach more than one page?), not one person knows anything about the actual terms of any promotion, but that doesn't retard ( :D ) the rush to pick it apart, deride Thai intelligence, mock Thai business logic ...

What a bitter bunch of little old ladies. There should be a separate forum for the cranky grannies to tsk, tsk, tsk as a chorus even if there's nothing "newsworthy" to tsk about.

Thaivisa IS for little old ladies and cranky grannies. :D

It's too hot, it's too cold. It's free so what's the catch, it's too expensive. Why can't they speak English? Why aren't the natives like us? It's so dirty, it's so sterile.....bla bla bla. And god help me, I just love reading all about it :o

And who will benefit?

Suspect our local "Cheap Charlie's"/balloon chasers will soon find a way of milking the system, genuine tourists will not get a look in.

Please explain how cheap charlies can milk the system.

From the other side this is in my opinion just another case of a lot of talking same as with all other campaigns.Shops in pattaya are advertising 50 % discounts already year round so there will change nothing.Don't expect that the regular hotels will tell you next month that their rate is even 5 % lower then last month.Rather expect an increase in room rate as the tourist numbers go down.The usual thai business logic.

Ya your right that promo's BS. They'll increase the price by 50% for the idiots that come ............newby suckers :o

Weren't we offered 50% cheaper airfares a couple of months back? Still waiting

The price of thai airways has just gone up 25%. flew back to thai last week and the plane was nearly empty so someone has to cover the fuel costs

Well I just bought a THai airways ticket reurn for 3900 DKK = 684 USD in end of MAY. This is around 20 to 25 % cheaper than low season TG tickets were last year. So they are certainly trying to fill their empty planes.

This is for return CPH-BKK-CPH.

OK since no one else has bothered to explain "Balloon Chasers" I will do so for the uninformed. It is normal practise for bars that are having a free BBQ or some special deal to put balloons up outside the bar. It is not unusual in places like Pattaya (with thousands of bars) to have several bars putting on free food because it's the owners birthday or some other auspicious event. Often when bars do this they find themselves invaded by "Balloon chasers" whose only motivation is to indulge in a free meal/cheap drinks or both.

Cheers

OMG. As a diving instructor in Patong Beach (2003-2005). I would do just this almost every night. At the time and until just now, I never knew it had such a name and with a rather cool and trendy tone to it. I thought it was a socially acceptable way of networking and the bar getting to celebrate and drawing extra people in.

Now I will hang my head in shame when I hear the title. Well maybe not cos I do like free food still.

What do you call the guy who hangs around waiting for the drunk tourist to ring the bell. Seem to remember getting loads of free drinks like that.

Cheap Charlie has been battered to death. How about Thrifty Trevor? Fugile Fred, ....... please insert suitable name.

Edited by teddy_bare

They could make walking street a National park. That would bring in Couple of hundred baht a farang. That would alleviate some of the losses they a making.

My friend was telling me he drank 3 bottles of beer at the same bar every night and he lives in Pattaya. He was always charged 80 baht a bottle (heiniken). then one night he was charged 85 baht a bottle. When he pointed out the price increase. He was told it was because we have not got many customers, so we need to put the price up. :o

They have got even less customers now as he doesn't go there any more.

Good for him...vote with your feet!

Another technique would to say stay 5 nights pay for 3 or 4 - they can then say they are offering free rooms but still getting some money!

In phuket a 5 star resort was offering somethng like 20,000 free rooms but, if I recall correctly, the free was one in 14. which is a discount of 7% only if you stay 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

some deal, huh

FREE FLIGHTS TO THAILAND FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

Free up Thaksins billions and put them to good use for the people of Thailand.

Free 3month tourist visas on arrival, Free Thai airways tickets,Only catch is you spend 50,000bht a month!

Offer valid till the billions run out.

What a publicity stunt for Thailand? :o

Weren't we offered 50% cheaper airfares a couple of months back? Still waiting

The price of thai airways has just gone up 25%. flew back to thai last week and the plane was nearly empty so someone has to cover the fuel costs

Well I just bought a THai airways ticket reurn for 3900 DKK = 684 USD in end of MAY. This is around 20 to 25 % cheaper than low season TG tickets were last year. So they are certainly trying to fill their empty planes.

Just paid $1,935 AUD 51,000 Baht to fly on the 12th of next month last month I paid 26,000 baht return from BKK to melb back to BKK economy class on thai airways. Reason they just gave me today is that it is the peak season. sounds strange to me. That is just airfare not accomadation package.

And who will benefit?

Suspect our local "Cheap Charlie's"/balloon chasers will soon find a way of milking the system, genuine tourists will not get a look in.

Sorry, I did not mean to light the blue touch paper and run, just been so busy the last 2 days.

My reference to balloon chasers is to a group of people who are very professional at getting something for nothing, as detailed by others on this thread.

Therefore if there are to be limited free rooms I bet they will find a way to bag them first.

Pattaya to woo visitors with free rooms

BANGKOK: -- Tourism operators in Pattaya plan to offer free hotel rooms from May 1 to Oct 31 to attract local and international tourists during the low season.

Apart from hotels, restaurants and shopping malls will also join the campaign, offering discounts up to 50%. Final details will be decided tomorrow.

The seaside resort city is facing difficult times because of the global economic recession and local political problems, said Chatchawal Supachayanont, president of the Eastern Chapter of the Thai Hotels Association (THA).

"With this campaign, we hope tourists and meeting, incentive, convention and exhibition (Mice) activities will be lured back to Pattaya again and tourism sentiment will improve as well," he said.

Mr Chatchawal said Pattaya's hotels had about 20,000 rooms and that all operators would join the promotion.

"This is the first time we have had co-operation from all parties, aiming to restore Pattaya's tourism image," he said.

"Average occupancy was not so bad at around 30-40% after the Songkran festival. But we are very concerned about reservations from overseas, which are not coming yet."

Pattaya's image took a hit just before Songkran when red-shirted protesters forced the cancellation of the Asean Summit after they stormed the meeting site, the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel.

Operators in Pattaya hope that when Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva goes abroad he will be able to explain the problems in Thailand and how the government intends to solve them, in order to restore confidence among visitors.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-22

What good are free rooms in a city that has become dangerous to be in re muggings, jewlery snatchers, aggressive drunks, drunken drivers, gang shootings and nobody watching the asylum. With the embarrasing spectacle of last week it will be a tall order to help Pattaya never mind Thailand.

regards

What good are free rooms in a city that has become dangerous to be in re muggings, jewlery snatchers, aggressive drunks, drunken drivers, gang shootings and nobody watching the asylum. With the embarrasing spectacle of last week it will be a tall order to help Pattaya never mind Thailand. regards

Welcome Picaro - to the gnarly world of Thai Visa. .....and thanks for being the first in this thread to cast disparagements on what Pattaya stands for. I'll go ahead and follow up, as Pattaya is such a juicy target for poking holes (yes, those types of holes also). When things go from bad to worse for vendors, it always amazes me when they start offering incredible discounts. Of course, look closely, and the great discounts aren't are as great as they appear - and/or there a a scant few, of which nimble 'first comers' (no pun intended) will grab up quicker than you can say 'inside information.'

Edited by brahmburgers

I flew in from London via Dubia with Emirates as the price was 400GBP and 75GBP to change the date, this ticket is open for 1 year.

Thai Airways cheapest flight was about 600GBP for a ticket that was open for 1 month only, and it was 100GBP to change the date, hardly encouraging tourism it would seem, and Thai airways planes and service are crap compared to Emirates.

Im able to stay for 3 months if need be and have about 2500GBP a month to spend, they arent going to make it easy for me to dump this money in their economy.

Edited by sanmiguel

I flew in from London via Dubia with Emirates as the price was 400GBP and 75GBP to change the date, this ticket is open for 1 year.

Thai Airways cheapest flight was about 600GBP for a ticket that was open for 1 month only, and it was 100GBP to change the date, hardly encouraging tourism it would seem, and Thai airways planes and service are crap compared to Emirates.

Im able to stay for 3 months if need be and have about 2500GBP a month to spend, they arent going to make it easy for me to dump this money in their economy.

With the rising prices they make every day easier to spend that kind of money.

That's a POINT !!!! i can 1000% agree with you ! They will never give FREE rooms to Farangs, never ! And about the bargirls, really sad, most of them are without a job now ! But at the other hand most of them still have a monthly income from several boyfriends oversea......

Another point : This is again a typical example that in Thailand they first ACT and later on they THINK, mostly when it's too late ! They will NEVER learn !! Somnamnaa :o

Actually my mate got a very nice free 5 star room in BKK for a full week last december :D

I noticed that Le Meridian Resort Kao Lak (5-star property) is offering for Thais/expats a nitely rate of just under B 2000 PER ROOM (up to 2 people) inclusive of buffet breakfast and taxes/service charges. Also 20% discount on airport transfers and spa treatments. That's a great rate for such a plush resort. Sure it's off season and the weather may be less than ideal (or you may luck out and have great weather) but just relaxing and hanging out for a few nites at that rate is a great buy.

Due to some troubles in the last few days of my trip over Christmas, I'm going to avoid returning to Thailand from here on out.

However, I thought I'd mention that this "raise the prices and then advertise a sale" trick is used all over. Some of you may have heard that Circuit City, a major electronics retailer in the U.S., finally declared bankruptcy and shut down during 4Q08. Well, at their liquidation sales, merchandise was marked "40% off", but was priced higher than before they were being shut down. Same trick, different country.

Good luck to the Thais. I hope they can get the political situation sorted out without bloodshed.