Pros/cons For Thais Working In Australia

My Thai GF just got an offer to work in Australia for two months. It's somewhere on a ranch or farm during some sort of harvest season. Not sure what. I'm supposed to get more details later. The offer for her to make 65,000B a month is a big deal. They pay for flight and visa. But I see it as the same as we do in the US with migrant workers, pay little, expect to get a lot. Even in Thailand it's the same as with Burmese workers. I think the pay is too little for what is expected of her.

Anyone with experience on this subject? What is she really getting into? Are my suspicions correct? What the minimum wage in this case if you know?

Edited by Mrjlh

My Thai GF just got an offer to work in Australia for two months. It's somewhere on a ranch or farm during some sort of harvest season. Not sure what. I'm supposed to get more details later. The offer for her to make 65,000B a month is a big deal. They pay for flight and visa. But I see it as the same as we do in the US with migrant workers, pay little, expect to get a lot. Even in Thailand it's the same as with Burmese workers. I think the pay is too little for what is expected of her.

Anyone with experience on this subject? What is she really getting into? Are my suspicions correct? What the minimum wage in this case if you know?

In all likelyhood she will have to lie to get a visa and this will all be arranged.

She will then be taken to a farm and work 7 days a week. The money if you consider the flights

and "possible" accomodation will be paid for is ok. In all likwlyhood she will be on a s/c676

visa and will be working illegally so will be subject to deportation if found working by Immigration.

Not worth it IMHO.

Will

In all likelyhood she will have to lie to get a visa and this will all be arranged.

She will then be taken to a farm and work 7 days a week. The money if you consider the flights

and "possible" accomodation will be paid for is ok. In all likwlyhood she will be on a s/c676

visa and will be working illegally so will be subject to deportation if found working by Immigration.

Not worth it IMHO.

Will

Suggest you before you make statements you know nothing about KEEP QUIET,

1/ Australian govt issues 3 and 6 month working visas for seasonal workers recruited in Asia,

2/Here on the sunshine coast in Queensland ,we have strawberry and Pineapple pickers from korea , ceylon and pakistan, who are now on their 3rd year contracts,

3, They are paid upto 18 dollars australian an hour 5 days a week, the employer pays for their flights and they are in rental accomodation which they have to pay for themselves, many residents in our area, rent out rooms to fruitpickers,

So everything is legal and above board!! Of course there are Slavers, but serious fruitgrowers dont use them :o

1/ Australian govt issues 3 and 6 month working visas for seasonal workers recruited in Asia,

2/Here on the sunshine coast in Queensland ,we have strawberry and Pineapple pickers from korea , ceylon and pakistan, who are now on their 3rd year contracts,

3, They are paid upto 18 dollars australian an hour 5 days a week, the employer pays for their flights and they are in rental accomodation which they have to pay for themselves, many residents in our area, rent out rooms to fruitpickers,

So everything is legal and above board!! Of course there are Slavers, but serious fruitgrowers dont use them :o

I'm still waiting to hear more about the details from my GF on this. I did manage to find the pdf file "National Harvest Guide" which gives a lot of useful information, including a section on what to be weary of. I does state most of the time you need to have your own bedding or place to stay. She wants to make money to pay off debts and I'm all for it. I just don't want her to get into something that's going to cause her more grief. From what she told me its working out to be anywhere from $10-15 US/hour which seems high to me.

I just got back last month from a 5 month assignment in Australia. I was with a Chinese girl and two Thai girls that had accepted permanent positions (min. 2 years) with the same company. All were getting significantly more money than in Thailand and China and was a deal they couldn't pass up.

Be here was the catch....

The company was in a small town (less than 50K) more than 2 hours from Melbourne. What is a person from Bangkok or Ghuangzhou going to do in the middle of the bush with a bunch of Aussies? Talk about a culture shock! It was a culture shock for me. Furthermore, the cost of food, accommodation, transportation, etc. are prohibitive and make the position economically worse than living in LOS even if the salary is doubled.

The only good thing would be the experience and a resume builder...if they can last that long. Most are hoping that the 40% bump willl be retained when they return back to Thailand. Actually...some of the people that make this decision are actually trying to get out of Thailand (ie: get a permanent work permit in AUS and go from there).

Edited by ironhut

Not worth it IMHO.

Will

Mate, I know a fair bit about it (probably more than you)

so don't tell me to keep quiet!

You and I don't know all of the details as it wasn't in the OP.

I know a lot more about the situation in Wa than you.

So perhaps, until we know a bit more ie age, location etc we

should hold off on offering anymore advice.

Will

Not worth it IMHO.

Will

Steady on Will! My lady and worked in Oz up until sept '08...the program as offered is backed by the government, both federal and state...if there's anything sus the lady only has to go to the nearest mobile telephone and ring the police, they act on every complaint!

Will

There are too many people watching for slavers to get away with anything for long...go with her and enjoy yourself :D

I would agree with Will, it is LIKELY that the visa will be a 676 short stay visa and therefore working is against the visa conditions.....

A friend of my wifes has just done this.....she was shit scared for the whole time of being caught...her accommodation was with 5 other girls in a small room that the farm dogs slept in as well, she suffered from severe flea bites from the accommodation. She did have freedom of movement and worked set hours.....but had to pay for her room and food, an amount was deducted to pay back the airfare and visa costs. I dont know what the pay was like but it wasnt enough to pay off her debts in one three month session.

The other visa that has been mentioned here is the working holiday visa, this is the run down on the requirements for it.

The Australian Government is working closely with state, territory and local governments, and regional authorities to provide regional migration programmes that support regional development and help supply the skill needs of regional employers.

These programmes are designed to address the special circumstances of rural and regional Australia.

They are employer-friendly, flexible and include concessions for regional employers.

The programmes aim to attract young, skilled, English speaking migrants to areas of Australia where they are most needed. Generally, skilled migrants are under 45 years of age, have functional English, diploma level qualifications or above and relevant work experience.

If your girlfriend has been offered a job and she doesnt meet these requirements, then it is likely that the offer is to work illegally.

I was advised to visit centrelink Caboolture to get more information on legal overseas seasonal workers, I quote!! this scheme was approved by QLD and the federal government, to allow contract workers to be recruited overseas to work in the fruitpicking season for a minimum period of 3 and a maximum of 6 months, The same scheme is also running in Griffith NSW using Indian and Pakistani workers in the citrus fruit picking season, CL are sending me their overseas recruitment pamphlet, I fly to Hongkong tonight so I will post them on my return in about 10 days :o

There are too many people watching for slavers to get away with anything for long...go with her and enjoy yourself :o

No offense mate, but that is a very naive statement.

Australia is full of "slave labour" by migrants.

Will

The Australian government is somewhat upside down on this one. They turned a bit of a blind eye toward immigrant migrants, but are very swift to deny or carefully critique any sort of an attempt for business class jobs. It's nearly impossible to get a work permit unless heavily sponsored by a major employer...and then still difficult - and limited.

So what is the result?

Australia is dumbing down it's population. The denial of educated people to its country is done to keep the "good jobs" for Aussies. The end result is less educated people coming to Australia since AUS will allow in people who won't likely take mid to high end jobs...which limits its growth and enhancement of the population. The country seems to have a "seniority" mentality and the government runs as if the head of a labor union.

Furthermore, the government restrictions on free enterprise (internet, cable television, etc...) to expand (esp. beyond the coasts) is detrimental to the people of Australia and further limits their link to the world. Interesting concept considering the fact that most counties are trying to educate their people and happy to bring in people with knowledge and resources (tax money, etc...) to enhance the population.

The Australian government is somewhat upside down on this one. They turned a bit of a blind eye toward immigrant migrants, but are very swift to deny or carefully critique any sort of an attempt for business class jobs. It's nearly impossible to get a work permit unless heavily sponsored by a major employer...and then still difficult - and limited.

So what is the result?

Australia is dumbing down it's population. The denial of educated people to its country is done to keep the "good jobs" for Aussies. The end result is less educated people coming to Australia since AUS will allow in people who won't likely take mid to high end jobs...which limits its growth and enhancement of the population. The country seems to have a "seniority" mentality and the government runs as if the head of a labor union.

Furthermore, the government restrictions on free enterprise (internet, cable television, etc...) to expand (esp. beyond the coasts) is detrimental to the people of Australia and further limits their link to the world. Interesting concept considering the fact that most counties are trying to educate their people and happy to bring in people with knowledge and resources (tax money, etc...) to enhance the population.

Actually Australia is actively seeking skilled migrants as there is a skills shortage and the locals... erm, dont have enough skiils. They open and close their doors as it may suit them and at the moment they are being a bit protectionist for fear of the current economic situation. Australia also has a shortage of people willing to do the very low end jobs, like fruit picking - fruit pickers are considered a bit like "gypsies". 65,000 for a month fruit picking for a Thai in Australia sounds like a great deal - there are some far worse opportunities such as Taiwan sponsoring Thais for less than half that amount working 12 hours days 6 days a week doing dangerous factory work. Thai workers in Australia can expect fair treatment. Australia offers special visas for people wanting to work in rural areas (as there are not enough workers), this may be a fantastic opportunity and may possibly even be able to get permanent residency after 4 years working if they can extend their visa.

There are working holiday Visas for Australia.

Just make sure that when the Visa is issued it does not have the condition: 8101 No Work : or she will be breaking her Visa conditions and will be rounded up held in detention and deported, if caugtht working illegaly.

My good mate works in the Compliance Section at DIMIA Melbourne and they do weekly roundups of farm workers that are working illegaly at Australian farms, also other places like brothels. Or workers that are not working where they are supposed to be working!

Australia is a very fair country, play by the rules and you will be OK. Break them and you're out!

So what is the result?

Furthermore, the government restrictions on free enterprise (internet, cable television, etc...) to expand (esp. beyond the coasts) is detrimental to the people of Australia and further limits their link to the world.

Uh, you mean like Thailand? :o

Sorry it took awhile to get the info but here is what I now know. (Still not enough for me)

It's comes from the best friend of the best friend of the sister (***Red Fag). The job is sponsored by a "wealthy Australian" who owns a large "Winery" (***red flag). He only sponsors 7-8 Thai workers at a time for only 3 months. Sister pays airfare (she gets reimbursed later-***red flag). He pays for Visa, supplies the housing, and food. People work 5 days a week. They can work either 6 hours each day or 8 hours each day (its very Hot). If they work 6 hours they get 65,000B month, if they work 8 hours they 80,000B month. She can quit anytime. According to the booklet issued by Australia, the salary and hours are realistic. And the job description also could be possible.

The salary and hours probably work out to minimum wages in the US. There is also no mention of meeting any quota's if picking in info received.

So now what are your thoughts?

I just got back last month from a 5 month assignment in Australia. I was with a Chinese girl and two Thai girls that had accepted permanent positions (min. 2 years) with the same company. All were getting significantly more money than in Thailand and China and was a deal they couldn't pass up.

Be here was the catch....

The company was in a small town (less than 50K) more than 2 hours from Melbourne. What is a person from Bangkok or Ghuangzhou going to do in the middle of the bush with a bunch of Aussies? Talk about a culture shock! It was a culture shock for me. Furthermore, the cost of food, accommodation, transportation, etc. are prohibitive and make the position economically worse than living in LOS even if the salary is doubled.

The only good thing would be the experience and a resume builder...if they can last that long. Most are hoping that the 40% bump willl be retained when they return back to Thailand. Actually...some of the people that make this decision are actually trying to get out of Thailand (ie: get a permanent work permit in AUS and go from there).

Yes you make a few good points. It can be an extreeme culture shock. In the rural areas of Australia you will find your true blue aussies with a more laid back approach to life unlike the big cities like Melbourne. Melbourne has a more Multicultural population and it is easier for someone to fit it.

Enjoy the experience it will be something you will look back on in later life with a smile. ( I hope) A lot of these jobs are taken by people who are on working holidays they spend a couple of months working in one area say Victoria before moving on to New South Wales, Queensland and W.A.

So what is the result?

Furthermore, the government restrictions on free enterprise (internet, cable television, etc...) to expand (esp. beyond the coasts) is detrimental to the people of Australia and further limits their link to the world.

Uh, you mean like Thailand? :o

What the F@##$

Firstly we do not have ranches in Australia that is some American term.

Don't worry to much the work is legal and and above board. My brother in law is a full time seasonal worker who moves from various crops depending on the season in the State of Victoria. The majority of the crews working these crops are immigrant seasonal workers. The standard hours are 5 days per week 6 hours per day with unlimited overtime if you want it. Very very good money can be made if you want to put in the extra hours he earns up to $2,000 (50,000 Baht) per week doing the extra yards. It can be hard work depending on the crops.

Australians are lazy by nature and also see it below themselves to do this sort of work even given the unemployment rate in the country so that is why the Australian government and various companies have set up this scheme. It is employ overseas workers or watch your crops rot on the ground.

Some of the larger farms also provide basic accomadation ie a shared room and shower facilties.

She should not have to many problems but just do a little homework before going to see if it is really for her.

If you wish to work in Australia obtain the correct visa first, eg working holiday or 457 visa if required.

You must meet the criteria for the class of visa required.

You will be subject to income tax and you will be required to supply a TFN, (tax file number).

Employers that fail to check the visa status of foreign employees commit an offence.

Illegal workers may be detained and deported.

Australia does not want illegal workers.

Thank you all for your inputs. I'll pass them along and let her decide. The booklet (which I posted) gives a great deal of information and anyone else wanting to do the same should read it.

Thanks again...

If you wish to work in Australia obtain the correct visa first, eg working holiday or 457 visa if required.

You must meet the criteria for the class of visa required.

You will be subject to income tax and you will be required to supply a TFN, (tax file number).

Employers that fail to check the visa status of foreign employees commit an offence.

Illegal workers may be detained and deported.

Australia does not want illegal workers.

S/c 457 is a temp business visa. If she is under 30 she may qualify for a s/c 462 visa.

Just say to them, you're worried about working illegally in Australia.

What type of visa will she have and problem solved!

Regards

Will