Bakers! Whole Wheat?

HeyNow

I'm trying to find a couple of baking-related items in CM, but haven't had much luck. Specifically, I'm looking for A) a 100% whole wheat bread and :o finely ground whole wheat flour.

With regard to the bread, it seems to be standard practice to sell "whole" wheat bread that's no more than 50% whole wheat. This seems to hold true even at specialty places such as Dacheeso. Speaking with one of the employees, I was told that 100% whole wheat breads come out too hard. This is plainly not true, as you can get soft, 100% whole wheat breads in other countries. I suspect it has to do with the kinds of whole wheat that are available here.

Which brings me to the next point; with regard to the wheat, I've found places (e.g. Rimping) selling whole wheat flour, but it's coarsely ground. It can be mixed with all-purpose flour for cooking or baking, but it's not suitable for use in making your own 100% whole wheat baked goods. I need a finer grind. There's a newish baking place on Chiangmai-Lamphun Road, but I've already checked with them and they don't have a finely ground whole wheat flour.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by HeyNow

I'm trying to find a couple of baking-related items in CM, but haven't had much luck. Specifically, I'm looking for A) a 100% whole wheat bread and :o finely ground whole wheat flour.

With regard to the bread, it seems to be standard practice to sell "whole" wheat bread that's no more than 50% whole wheat. This seems to hold true even at specialty places such as Dacheeso. Speaking with one of the employees, I was told that 100% whole wheat breads come out too hard. This is plainly not true, as you can get soft, 100% whole wheat breads in other countries. I suspect it has to do with the kinds of whole wheat that are available here.

Which brings me to the next point; with regard to the wheat, I've found places (e.g. Rimping) selling whole wheat flour, but it's coarsely ground. It can be mixed with all-purpose flour for cooking or baking, but it's not suitable for use in making your own 100% whole wheat baked goods. I need a finer grind. There's a newish baking place on Chiangmai-Lamphun Road, but I've already checked with them and they don't have a finely ground whole wheat flour.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If Chiang Mai Bakermart don't stock it, you could well have your work cut out finding it. The woman owner is very helpful there and could possibly be persuaded to purchase on your behalf if your quantity was enough.

Yok Intertrade have a couple of branches on the road with the sports stadium at Chang Puak 053 872345.

What about grinding the coarser grains to your spec?

Regards Bojo

• 7 months later...

A quick update: Rimping now stocks a finely-ground 100% whole wheat flour. I can't recall the brand name off hand. But it comes in a 2 kilogram bag that has a green and yellow trim. The bag goes for 68 baht, I believe.

As with other items at Rimping, stock can vary and the flour hasn't always been available. I got a bag several months ago, then when that bag ran out, I had to wait about another month until it was available again. Best to stock up when you see it's there.

I've used this flour in baking yeast breads, quick breads, pancakes, and cookies. Good stuff, much more usable than the coarsely-ground stuff that comes in the small, brown paper bags.

Cheers,

HeyNow

Rim Ping almost always has in stock a 100% whole wheat flour that comes in brown paper bags. 900 grams of flour to the bag. It comes from Australia and is a very good product. You'll find it in the baking section.

As for 100% whole wheat bread, Butter is Better Bakery located at Rim Ping Mee Chok and also in the Hang Dong area, bakes 2 kinds of 100% whole wheat bread. I should know since it's my wife's bakery.

Yok Intertrade branches are 1) opposite Index Living Mall on the SUper Highway and 2) next to the New Peninsula Hotel. The branch near the Mercedes Dealership has been gone a long time. Chiang Mai Bakemart on the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road also has another branch near Chiang Mai Gate. Rimping does indeed carry whole wheat flour in small paper bags also. Happy baking!

A quick update: Rimping now stocks a finely-ground 100% whole wheat flour. I can't recall the brand name off hand. But it comes in a 2 kilogram bag that has a green and yellow trim.

Probably 'Hovis' ? Cue the nostalgic brass-band music ! :)