Some Problems? Or No?

I have seen a bike and the seller seemed very nice and funny, but said he bought it from a foreigner and the book is still in his name, but the foreigner went back home.

He claimed that he or people he is close to are able to transfer it into my girlfriends name. It just costs 4,000 baht.

Whats the scoop?

All that 'could' be true..

Do not pay a penny until it is in your name and make sure you get the book checked out at a DMV or by someone with DMV connections.. A common scam is a purely forged book and they then just add the new buyers details with a printer each time..

A friend was in a very similar situation and it was solved in the same kind of way.. Legit book but seller had signed papers and gone..

Without the persons signature who is named on the book then the transaction wold be illegal though thats not to say it doesn't happen all the time. I would ask a friendly police man to look into it and as said make sure the new book is a geuine one and it has been taxed and insured by the person selling it to you. Good luck :o

This happened to me a year or so ago, I bought a motorbike from some guy (second owner), and it was still in the original owners name in Phuket. When I went to try and change it (in Phuket), they needed the original owners info and signature, and couldn't transfer it to my name. So I got my gf to put it in her name, in Bangkok, where she lives, and it was possible to put it in a Thai name, without the information.

I am pretty sure it didn't cost any money other than the normal fees and definetly not 4000 baht.

I guess it doesn't matter since you won't be buying, but thought I would share anyways....

I recently sold a steed to a thai my name on book,this was in udon,when i bought bike i lived in phuket so phuket address in book.i had to go immagration udon fill out 101 forms and then have my picture taken before they put bike in new owners name.800 bhat thank you very much