Secondary Green Book Cb400 Super Four

Richie1971

Hi,

I am looking to buy a CB400 Super Four but they either have no Green book, just an invoice or a secondary green book.

What I'd like to know if anyone has the experience is:

1. What is a secondary green book?

2. Can the Police actually impound the bike if you don't have the green book?

3. I've seen a number of CB400's around Hua Hin as well as some much bigger bikes (Cant all have green books) - doesn't seem to put people off.

Or

Do you just take lucky dip and hope you don't come across too much strict law enforcement.

I'd like to take it around Thailand and locally around Hua Hin etc.

Any advice or experiences gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi

1 = Never heard of a secondary green book ? the bike either has a book or it doesn't!

2 = Yes most certainly. The last time I went to Hat Yai bike weekend I talked to 3 guys who had large and expensive bikes confiscated on route

3 = If they have a number plate and the tax and insurance stickers the they have a book. Most have that I know of

If you buy a bike with no book then be prepared to lose it if you meet a police man who takes a shine to it. Its as simple as that. I've ridden all around Thailand and have been stopped many, many times. I have had to pay the odd couple of hunred baht for things but my bikes have all been fully legit.

Would you buy a bike back home without a log book ???????????????????????????

As they say here " UP TO YOU "

Hi

1 = Never heard of a secondary green book ? the bike either has a book or it doesn't!

2 = Yes most certainly. The last time I went to Hat Yai bike weekend I talked to 3 guys who had large and expensive bikes confiscated on route

3 = If they have a number plate and the tax and insurance stickers the they have a book. Most have that I know of

If you buy a bike with no book then be prepared to lose it if you meet a police man who takes a shine to it. Its as simple as that. I've ridden all around Thailand and have been stopped many, many times. I have had to pay the odd couple of hunred baht for things but my bikes have all been fully legit.

second that, and would like to point out that Dave perhaps meant a "recycled" green book in 1. The recycled green book comes possibly from "dead"(wrecked) bikes. The problem you will face there..the nrs do not match from engine and frame vs Book(not to mention the model itself)...some do try to change the frame&engine nrs afterwards to match those in the book....

So all these practices are illegal and will even do worse.... get a legal bike - here are some suggestions:

Kawasaki ER6N is good priced 650 cc bike(225000 THB/new) , these are legal and sold through kawasaki thai.Bike delivers good power and nice handling but may not be great for downtown driving.I just drove one yesterday again and the acceleration it gives on 650 cc is to my opinione even better than my 650 Bros did. 

Tiger Boxer 250 Rs is also nice but smaller engine size, very good price (72000 THB/new) , they are also legal and built here , spares are easy to get too. It handles very well and for a 250 cc it brings decent power. Driving dowtown is great on it, mid distance driving is also fine...long distance may not be so good(unless you are a very slim person) , the er6n would be more fun & kickin' . I own the Boxer since one month and am very surprised how nice this bike runs.

mbox

Hi

second that, and would like to point out that Dave perhaps meant a "recycled" green book in 1. The recycled green book comes possibly from "dead"(wrecked) bikes. The problem you will face there..the nrs do not match from engine and frame vs Book(not to mention the model itself)...some do try to change the frame&engine nrs afterwards to match those in the book....

So all these practices are illegal and will even do worse.... get a legal bike - here are some suggestions:

Kawasaki ER6N is good priced 650 cc bike(225000 THB/new) , these are legal and sold through kawasaki thai.Bike delivers good power and nice handling but may not be great for downtown driving.I just drove one yesterday again and the acceleration it gives on 650 cc is to my opinione even better than my 650 Bros did.

Tiger Boxer 250 Rs is also nice but smaller engine size, very good price (72000 THB/new) , they are also legal and built here , spares are easy to get too. It handles very well and for a 250 cc it brings decent power. Driving dowtown is great on it, mid distance driving is also fine...long distance may not be so good(unless you are a very slim person) , the er6n would be more fun & kickin' . I own the Boxer since one month and am very surprised how nice this bike runs.

mbox

Thanks for all the replies guys - I certainly can't afford to give any more than 500 baht to the Police - The Kawasaki sounds nice but unfortunately out of my price range.

So I think I'm onto the 250's -

I don't really get on well with the racing style bikes but would consider a Ninja 250 or a KTX 250 with the KTX being my first choice.

I understand that these are made in Thailand and therefore legal - I do prefer the Trial bike for comfort does anyone know where i can get a used one for under 100K?

Thanks again

Hi

mbox

Thanks for all the replies guys - I certainly can't afford to give any more than 500 baht to the Police - The Kawasaki sounds nice but unfortunately out of my price range.

I don't really get on well with the racing style bikes but would consider a Ninja 250 or a KTX 250 with the KTX being my first choice.

I understand that these are made in Thailand and therefore legal - I do prefer the Trial bike for comfort does anyone know where i can get a used one for under 100K?

Thanks again

Should be KLX! Is there a second hand market for the Kawasaki ER6N yet?

Cheers

Hi

mbox

Thanks again

Should be KLX! Is there a second hand market for the Kawasaki ER6N yet?

Cheers

Yes, KLX is another one, it is about 150000 THB new....i tested this one a few weeks back as i wanted to compare some bikes before buying ....wasn't my thing. Perhaps i am looking too hard for KTM Bikes:-)

I don't think there is a second hand market for the er6n yet.....

mbox 

1. What is a secondary green book?

Meaning a not 100% legal book.. Can be anything from forged or incorrect book for bike.. Right up to a perfectly modifed bike that matches the book exactly..

The risks vary.

2. Can the Police actually impound the bike if you don't have the green book?

hel_l yeah.. If they want to its gone...

I am told upcountry you can often pay a small fine and get away with it.. That wouldnt happen down here,,

3. I've seen a number of CB400's around Hua Hin as well as some much bigger bikes (Cant all have green books) - doesn't seem to put people off.

How do you know they were not legally plated ??

Theres plenty of legal bikes out there.. They are just not at 40 and 50k..

Unfair analogy.. Back home theres not heaps of bikes unbooked out in the market..

And if you have a machine without a book.. You just get it tested (MOT'ed) and get it plated.. Its a trivial process because theres not a whole system of corruption built on scamming and theft, theres simple rules.. Lights work, indicators work, emissions clean, not too noisy ?? If it passes the safety rules then heres your reg documents.

So yes I wouldnt have much of a problem buying an unbooked bike back home.. In fact I have bought cars and machines without any (v5) papers or logbook and just applied and had them issued.

Unfair analogy.. Back home theres not heaps of bikes unbooked out in the market..

And if you have a machine without a book.. You just get it tested (MOT'ed) and get it plated.. Its a trivial process because theres not a whole system of corruption built on scamming and theft, theres simple rules.. Lights work, indicators work, emissions clean, not too noisy ?? If it passes the safety rules then heres your reg documents.

So yes I wouldnt have much of a problem buying an unbooked bike back home.. In fact I have bought cars and machines without any (v5) papers or logbook and just applied and had them issued.

So if you get a bike in Thailand (say a 450 - 650cc) that has no green book (was imported as engine & frame separately and assembled), what does it cost to get a legitimate green book for it? I'm guessing as much or more than the bike otherwise that's what everyone would do, right?

Edited by biggestfan

The problem is.. Buying one second hand the 'invoice' papers can always have something missing, some import license not stamped, something they can make up that turns your projected 60 - 100k registration into a never ending nightmare.

I have been told prices ranging from 40 - 80 on a 400 and 80 - 120 on about 1000.. If I could get an absolute iron clad guarantee that it could be done on a 1050 at 100k I would buy a triumph speed triple in the UK this summer, use if for my vacation there then send it out. Theres a couple hundred k markup and I would get a bike in the uk for my holiday. But its not the cost, its the total uncertainty to that process. I should just be happy with the machine I have (its way more bike than I am rider) and stop looking at every other bike with desire.