Smooth Test Run On Bts Extension

george

TRANSPORTATION

Smooth test run on BTS extension

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS)'s extension from Silom to Taksin intersection would be open for the public on May 15, following the successful test run on Thursday night.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said that the 2.2-km extended route service which crosses the Chao Phya River to the Thonburi side would remain free for three months, until August 13.

Meanwhile, he also promises to press ahead with the 5.3-km extension of the electric train from Wongwianyai to Bang Wa, which should be open for service early 2011, and the 5.25-km extension from On Nut to Soi Baring which should be completed by the end of 2011.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-04-24

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, does anyone know the locations for the stations of the yet-future 5.25 km extension to this new extension opening this Friday?

I have a map that shows the future station names as "Bang Sakaa" (which I think is a misspell of Bang Sakae), "Taksin", "Kalapaphruek" and terminal station "Bang Wa".

Location descriptions of any or all the stations would be greatly appreciated, but longitudes and latitudes would be invaluable.

I have to live in Bang Mod, Rama 2 to be reasonably close to my work, and if the future stations make a visit to bkk metropolis easier... I've got something to look forward to in the future, besides waiting to hit full retirement (aka social security) age... :)

This may sound a little strange, but I plan to visit the new Wongwian Yai station this friday to partake in the festivities and try the free ride, and probably visit bkk metro.

Geeze, (according to the excellent Wikipedia BTS bio,) BTS had to reach into their own debt-laden pockets to finance this tiny 2.2 km extension, the ONLY expansion to the original lines, due to "Thailand political problems" completely blocking (public money to provide for) ANY expansion of the BTS route.

This tiny 2.2 km extension is expected to actually put the BTS system into the financial "black" (due to increased ridership) for the first time, since opening in 1999! (according to a writeup in the Bangkok Post a few weeks back)

I, for one, hope that the 12 4-car trains ordered for delivery starting in late 2009 will arrive on time... the crush of people on BTS is already very uncomfortable, at many times of the day.

Pawpcorn

Edited by Pawpcorn

What about the extention to Bang Na, any idea when that is due to be completed?

It says it in the original post - 2011.

There's supposed to be an extension north, also, up beyond Mo Chit. Are there any signs that this might be started soon?