Lease Question

We moved into an apartment in August 2007 and signed what we thought was a one year lease (we specifically asked for a one year lease) we thought it had expired in Aug 2008 but we just carried on paying rent and figured we can move out when we want, the landlord was still getting his money so everyone was happy we found out recently that we had actually signed for 2 years (the contract was in Thai)

Last week we found a place that we would like to move to but our contract states that if we move out before the the lease is over we will lose our deposit (2 months rent) We hardly ever see our landlord but he seems like a nice enough guy so I honestly think that he made a mistake and gave us a 2 year contract instead of a one year, is it worth trying to negotiate with him? or will we just lose our deposit when we move?

It's highly doubtful that he made a mistake giving you a 2 year contract instead of 1 year.From the other side if you move out now you will lose 2 months rent which is still less then the rent you will have to pay until august.Negotiating will never do any harm.

We moved into an apartment in August 2007 and signed what we thought was a one year lease (we specifically asked for a one year lease) we thought it had expired in Aug 2008 but we just carried on paying rent and figured we can move out when we want, the landlord was still getting his money so everyone was happy we found out recently that we had actually signed for 2 years (the contract was in Thai)

Last week we found a place that we would like to move to but our contract states that if we move out before the the lease is over we will lose our deposit (2 months rent) We hardly ever see our landlord but he seems like a nice enough guy so I honestly think that he made a mistake and gave us a 2 year contract instead of a one year, is it worth trying to negotiate with him? or will we just lose our deposit when we move?

Please drop the word lease - it is utterly inapplicable - You rent - your rental terms are in play. Lease and leasehold are effectively rent up front; you cannot pay rent on what you have already rented.

I don't want to appear pessimistic, however, never ever sign something you cannot understand, be on the safe side, especially in a country where you are guilty untill proved innocent, now it's kind of late for a translation but you might find some sort of agreement, maybe you can look for someone that would be interested in taking over your place, etc.. good luck

I don't want to appear pessimistic, however, never ever sign something you cannot understand, be on the safe side, especially in a country where you are guilty untill proved innocent, now it's kind of late for a translation but you might find some sort of agreement, maybe you can look for someone that would be interested in taking over your place, etc.. good luck

We had a friend with us who spoke good Thai, he said it was a standard contract so we trusted him and signed it. Finding someone to take over the place is a good idea though. I have been assured that the lease for our new place will be written in English and I will be sure to read it before we sign. Live and learn.

Please drop the word lease - it is utterly inapplicable - You rent - your rental terms are in play. Lease and leasehold are effectively rent up front; you cannot pay rent on what you have already rented.

Wrong. Sometimes a lease can be the same as paying the rent for the whole period up front. Many leases are granted without an up front payment with the agreement of fixed regular payments. Many business premises are leasehold and rent is paid monthly.

I have a property in the UK with a 900 year lease, the rent is one pound 50 pence per year.

Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease

Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease

:o

it never ceases to amaze me people signing contracts here that they can't read / or haven't had translated -( there are lots of translation shops around

the next best thing is signing a police statement you can't understand because it's in thai, or should i say confession )-

Like I said in my original post we should have had the contract translated before we signed, yes we did a dumb thing. So unless you have something constructive to add please keep you finger wagging to yourselves because you're wasting my time as well as your own :o

We had a friend with us who spoke good Thai, he said it was a standard contract so we trusted him and signed it.

The oldest way to phrase the question, "How ignorant are you?" is to say, "It's a standard contract." Whenever someone says that to me I reply with, "Whose standard? Certainly not my standard."

I was under the impression that if you wanted to rent a property or business, you signed a lease which states the terms of the rental agreament. I have 2 properties that I rent out in the UK and when I get a new tenant they sign a lease which is a legaly binding contract which states the terms of the rental I.E. rent level, whether they can do any alterations and the like. A lease is free but you pay rent, at least that's the way I work.

hindsight etc.

anyhow, OP how did the attempt at negotiation go?

Exactly, I think Captain Haddock should change his name to Captain Obvious.

I'm meeting with him on Friday, I'm hoping it'll go ok.

hindsight etc.

Just met with the landlord and no negotiations were necessary he was very reasonable and said the contract was an honest mistake and there was no problem with us moving. He's letting us stay rent free for this month and the other half of the deposit will be used to pay bills and anything left over will be returned to us.

So I'm very happy with this outcome :)

Edited by n23

hindsight etc.

Just met with the landlord and no negotiations were necessary he was very reasonable and said the contract was an honest mistake and there was no problem with us moving. He's letting us stay rent free for this month and the other half of the deposit will be used to pay bills and anything left over will be returned to us.

So I'm very happy with this outcome :)

good for you

often farangs assume they are not going to get anywhere / all Thais are looking to rip them off - whilst a good assumption to generally keep you safe its not ALWAYS the case