Inflation/deflation - The Big Debate

inflation / deflation

question: where's the beef as far as any inflation/deflation impact on other posters is concerned?

Well I dont have a job to speak of apart from advisory work and Directorships. I look at all my assets principally as investments although a couple of houses which I live in, I dont exactly put in the home theatre hoping to get my money back. I have way too many properties (although mostly distressed asset sales off the banks), quite a lot of equity (principally a minority stake in a listed company I sold out of.) These are my fairly fixed longer term holdings, mostly in Thailand. Deflation will be a disaster, inflation helps up to a point (speeds up real adjustments, rents/eps move with nominal P but yield trend higher as do interest rates (nominal, real likely to fall.) Best case for this lot is a return to decent growth also least likely.

So with my investments the one thing I dont have to hedge is a return to growth. I hedge Thailand at the moment but my liabilities are here, I understand the place and make my best returns, so I dont see it as essential. Both equities and housing is going to get crushed by deflation due to falling nominal income on the assets. Bonds should do well but I hate them and ultimately there must be a credit risk (Japanese bonds look vulnerable with savings turning negative.) I consider my holdings in PMs as a hedge against both deflation and inflation. Their poor performance over the last year doesnt bother me - they did pretty well considering the investment case for them totally evaporated.

I am still looking for a 5/10 year option on deflation. I would like to hold that and far less cash.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about Hyperinflation??

nothing to worry about. hyperinflation will be compensated by deflation. dozens of gurus predict inflation, dozens of gurus predict deflation. logical result = neither nor. now waiting patiently for the next five dozen gurus to appear on the stage and predict stagflation and a new generation of voodoo priests who will scare the living bejesus out of naïve ignorants by forecasting hyperstagindeflation² (any time from now).

[signed Naam... who's striving to be the most hated poster on ThaiVisa :D ]

Naam do you mean the "most hated" or "the most read" ? :)

i have no idea how many are reading my postings and i am definitely not striving to be one of the most read posters. if the latter was the case i'd open a couple of threads or polls every day with topics such as:

-bloody xenophobic thai neighbourhood is chanting buddhist songs and disturbing my peace,

-where can i buy top quality <insert product> but must be cheap?

-why do Thais speak a funny language?

-i want to open a <insert name> business. until recently i was a shepherd in <insert country> with <insert number> years of experience. what would you suggest?

-cheapest way to transfer 29.95 dollars from Australia to Isaan please?

-how much money do i need living in Thailand?

-best british, american, french, german, italian <delete all not applicable> breakfast in Nakhon Nowhere?

-my motorcycle has 7½ horse powers. how to increase to 8 hp?

-melting polar icecaps will flood Bangkok!

-poll: is Abhisit gay?

-poll: do you use a bumspray/bidet after shitting or do you spread any remnants evenly with toilet paper?

-a soi dog tore my trousers. whom do i sue and can anybody recommend a good lawyer?

-warning! xyz restaurant added an additional bowl of rice, which was never served, to my bill. let's boycot them!

-i am <insert number of years> old. what second hand car should i buy?

:D

inflation / deflation

question: where's the beef as far as any inflation/deflation impact on other posters is concerned?

Well I dont have a job to speak of apart from advisory work and Directorships. I look at all my assets principally as investments although a couple of houses which I live in, I dont exactly put in the home theatre hoping to get my money back. I have way too many properties (although mostly distressed asset sales off the banks), quite a lot of equity (principally a minority stake in a listed company I sold out of.) These are my fairly fixed longer term holdings, mostly in Thailand. Deflation will be a disaster, inflation helps up to a point (speeds up real adjustments, rents/eps move with nominal P but yield trend higher as do interest rates (nominal, real likely to fall.) Best case for this lot is a return to decent growth also least likely.

So with my investments the one thing I dont have to hedge is a return to growth. I hedge Thailand at the moment but my liabilities are here, I understand the place and make my best returns, so I dont see it as essential. Both equities and housing is going to get crushed by deflation due to falling nominal income on the assets. Bonds should do well but I hate them and ultimately there must be a credit risk (Japanese bonds look vulnerable with savings turning negative.) I consider my holdings in PMs as a hedge against both deflation and inflation. Their poor performance over the last year doesnt bother me - they did pretty well considering the investment case for them totally evaporated.

I am still looking for a 5/10 year option on deflation. I would like to hold that and far less cash.

Holding cash seems like a problem at present, I'll grant you, but just like your PM, I think one needs to have a certain amount on hand. What percentage of total assets that should be I do not know and which currency it should be I do not know, but perhaps two which are inversely correlated. On the 5-10 year deflation front, maybe 1% of assets could go to LEAP puts on US or Global broad market indexes and another 1% in LEAP puts linked to RE tracking indexes. If those don't pay out it will probably mean your other assets have appreciated far more over that time period.