Previous Cell Network Companies

mdechgan

Does anyone here remember what the network was called before dtac?

I remember their uniforms were brown when there were only two companies in Thailand.

AIS and this other company for the 1800mhz.

I remember there was hello1800 and another one. Was it worldphone or telecomasia?

But telecomeasia was TA Orange which is now True.

I remember their uniforms were brown when there were only two companies in Thailand.

I remember there was hello1800 and another one. Was it worldphone or telecomasia?

It was TAC Total Access Communications when I worked on their system for Motorola back in 1993.

I ahve also worked on the AIS system and BFKT before it became Hutch.

CAT used to have NMT 450 I believe which NMT 450 was one of the first in the world back in the late 80s.

NMT was Nordic Mobile Telephone

TAC = Total Access Communications = DTAC

What was the nickname of the network? Was it called TAC? Doesn't sound familiar.

Was it TA1800 or something? I remember the stores and outlets were brownish color.

Remember when cell phones were locked, you could only get an AIS phone or the other phone which was less expensive. This was before the prepaid days.

TAC = Total Access Communications = DTAC

DTAC = Digital Total Access Communications

The first time I worked with them it was an analogue system and very labour intensive to build.

I still have the scars for 22 years in the business.

However I am officially old next month and then I come home to Thailand and be with my family.

I WILL be at my sons 5th birthday in August as I was 3 hours late for his birth (my wife was 6 weeks early)

1 in Pakistan

2 in Bangladesh

3 in Papua New Guinea

4 in New Zealand

5 and after in Thailand

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

:o:D :D

What was the nickname of the network? Was it called TAC? Doesn't sound familiar.

Was it TA1800 or something? I remember the stores and outlets were brownish color.

Remember when cell phones were locked, you could only get an AIS phone or the other phone which was less expensive. This was before the prepaid days.

Samart Telecom used to run the Hello 1800 service which later got taken over by AIS. But their color was also blue.

I believe the "brown" you are looking for was TAC/Worldphone before it became DTAC. But TelecomAsia also used to be brown, before it became Orange :o

Hi there :o

D-TAC at first used to be "New 800", an analogue service which is still in operation today. Their GSM network was first called "World Phone", the logo on a phone said something like "WP1800". Older Nokias still do (3310 etc).

AIS called their network "Digital GSM 2 Watts". Then (still today) "GSM Advance".

AIS' subsidiary on 1,800 MHz was called "Hello", then "DPC 1800". Nowadays it's called "GSM 1800" and belongs fully to AIS but you can still sign up for it, but there's no pre-paid. It roams on AIS (900 MHz) when you are out of coverage. When i came to Thailand in December 2000 this was the only network i could use my phones ("imported" from Germany) on because AIS and TAC had their networks locked to work only with phones sold by those companies, basically a "reverse SIM lock" where the phones were actually unlocked but the network would only accept the IMEI's of phones sold by either provider.

True was previously called "TA Orange".

Best regards....

Thanh