Nut Job Expats, Any Advice Please ?

longballlarry

I live in a sleepy Housing estate near Bangkok. The majority of the home owners are retired expat couples and farangs with Thai partners. The estate has only been running for a couple of years and already we have the "Residents association" , which of course is run by the English. They have given thereselves titles, Chairman, Secretary, Vice president etc , and over the last 6 months have wandered around their ' European community, trying to enforce rules and regulations to people who live here.

In the last six months , they , without the permission of the Thai owners , have put in speed bumps at every junction, 15 mph speed limit signs , and give way markings on the road junctions. I sat in all day yesterday working, and didnt see a single car go by outside .

Just last week my Thai wife was complained about for breaking the speed limit in the estate .

As much as i try to distance myself from these fruit cakes , its surely only a matter of time before i'm caught by a resident issue speed gun , and fined accordingly.

The majority of these people rarely leave the perimeter of the estate, do little or nothing to integrate with the locals , and i feel trapped in their spazzy little world.

Any advice ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, what a bunch of weirdos.

If they do catch you 'speeding', and they demand a fine from you then just refuse. When they object just look at them, smile and ask "Why, what the <deleted> are you gonna do about it then?".

That'll shut them up because, afterall, there is nothing that they can do about it.

This sort of behaviour harks back to when England had an empire. These people would have been commisioned officers in India or somewhere 'foreign' like that with lots of natives doing their bidding, being called Sir and fornicating with the natives....

I know I am british, but not by birth, so please forgive me. They are indeed a strange lot. They use words like "eccentric" when "raving f*cking loony" is the appropiate term.

I am not sure which ones are worse, the tatooed, skin-head, lager lout , 20stone monoliths who hail from Essex (supposedly a suburb of London where many traders (scallywags) come from and Kent or the middle-upper class (you know the ones who get caught being spanked by a Dominatrix, whilst hooded and handcuffed).

By all means I would advise you to sell your property and move into a more cultured central european area if possible, there are many non-obnoxious europeans out there who make eye contact, do not introduce themselves with the words "what the <deleted> do you think you're lookin' at".

This sort of behaviour harks back to when England had an empire. These people would have been commisioned officers in India or somewhere 'foreign' like that with lots of natives doing their bidding, being called Sir and fornicating with the natives....

I know I am british, but not by birth, so please forgive me. They are indeed a strange lot. They use words like "eccentric" when "raving f*cking loony" is the appropiate term.

I am not sure which ones are worse, the tatooed, skin-head, lager lout , 20stone monoliths who hail from Essex (supposedly a suburb of London where many traders (scallywags) come from and Kent or the middle-upper class (you know the ones who get caught being spanked by a Dominatrix, whilst hooded and handcuffed).

By all means I would advise you to sell your property and move into a more cultured central european area if possible, there are many non-obnoxious europeans out there who make eye contact, do not introduce themselves with the words "what the <deleted> do you think you're lookin' at".

Move.

Viva le revolution

Have your wife form an opposition group (buy colored shirts) and rally the Thais, who undoubtedly are looking at these whackjobs with great amusement.

"Who runs Barter Town?"

Sure your numbers will be smaller, but you'll have legitamacy on your side. One Thai has more sway than a truckload of self-appointed Chairmen.

:o:D :D

I totally agree with this post.

I am British also, I'm afraid to add.

John.....

I live in a sleepy Housing estate near Bangkok. The majority of the home owners are retired expat couples and farangs with Thai partners. The estate has only been running for a couple of years and already we have the "Residents association" , which of course is run by the English. They have given thereselves titles, Chairman, Secretary, Vice president etc , and over the last 6 months have wandered around their ' European community, trying to enforce rules and regulations to people who live here.

In the last six months , they , without the permission of the Thai owners , have put in speed bumps at every junction, 15 mph speed limit signs , and give way markings on the road junctions. I sat in all day yesterday working, and didnt see a single car go by outside .

Just last week my Thai wife was complained about for breaking the speed limit in the estate .

As much as i try to distance myself from these fruit cakes , its surely only a matter of time before i'm caught by a resident issue speed gun , and fined accordingly.

The majority of these people rarely leave the perimeter of the estate, do little or nothing to integrate with the locals , and i feel trapped in their spazzy little world.

Any advice ?

1) what is the legal status of the "residents association" ? Is it legally formed? do you pay fees that fund their initiatives (eg the speed humps etc).

2) i doubt if they have the right to issue traffic fines. If you refuse payment, what can they do anyway?

3) are there more people of same mind as you or with "them"? If you have numbers, call an EGM and vote them all out, assuming it is a properly constituted "residents association"

4) if it is just an informal group taking matters into their own hands, I am afraid they have little legal standing to enforce anything, so you are entitled to ask them to remove the speed humps AT THEIR COST.

just a few random thoughts, as I am not sure if the association is above board or not.

Longballs, a friend of mine moved into an exclusive gated community west of the city 2 years ago, paying 17m Baht for his luxurious 6 bedroom home.

His Thai neighbour on one side has 37 dogs that crap all over the place and no one ever cleans up the mess and it stinks so bad when the wind is in the wrong direction. The neighbour has now erected a 7metre high fence around his home constructed of metal tubing and black plastic netting so no one can see the mess the dogs make. The stench is vomit making. The Thai neighbour is, unbelievably, the head of the Environmental Health Department !

His Thai neighbour on the other side has a double size lot and holds bird singing competitions every weekend and holiday, and rowdy drunken parties almost nightly with Karaoke where the guests block the access road with their inconsiderate parking. Rubbish litters the lot with beer bottles etc piled everywhere.

Immediately opposite lives a very high ranking Policeman who has 3 sons who race around the community roads on un-silenced motorbikes with impunity. This family also use the car port at the front of their home as a rubbish dump where they have old furniture, fridges and lengths of timber (looks like Teakwood) and dismantled motorbikes with other parts littered in the front garden and six vehicles parked on the road outside the house making it difficult for my friend to enter his drive. The Police owner shot a neighbour who complained about his sons.

Sounds like you would be better suited to living in a more Thai-flavour community such as this, maybe you would have less to complain about than having to drive slowly through your present community!!! :o

which of course is run by the English. They have given thereselves titles, Chairman, Secretary, Vice president etc , and over the last 6 months have wandered around their ' European community, trying to enforce rules and regulations to people who live here.

Sounds similar to why i decided to leave Scotland!

Any advice ?

If you feel that upsett it's either time to move on, join them or better still take the piss out of them. Buy yourself a traffic warderns outfit and stick it up them.

If the have a residents committee they surely have meetings, so get along there and say your piece. or like already suggested lay them into the law.

I'm british also and the likes of them give me the willies, better they retire to somwhere like the Kashmir Valley in India and sit on their verandhs wearing their pith helmets.

Any advice ?

Look at the bright side, at least your property value will not depreciate!

this thread could go somewhere! i feel a funny one coming on. :o

my neigbours just waltz into my house when they feel like it, I have got there crackpot son standing with his mouth open looking through our garden and into our sliding doors daily. I dont know what he is trying to do, he is about 20 by the way not a kid. his mum is calling out my 1 year old son's name very loud at all hours of the day from her house. and this same women slags of my wife and her family to our very own maid who of course repeats all to us! I have another neigbour who parks his car like a real Thai in the middle of the road and boy does he get in a snot when I need him to move it so I can drive my car out, he is terrible and drives it really really slowly just to piss me off even more. a real dipshit of a bloke and I think if it had been in the UK I would of bashed him about by now. pretty much all of the people living on my street are strange. but I dont think I could but up with the raving Fuc-ng looneys the OP has to though.

Longballs, a friend of mine moved into an exclusive gated community west of the city 2 years ago, paying 17m Baht for his luxurious 6 bedroom home.

His Thai neighbour on one side has 37 dogs that crap all over the place and no one ever cleans up the mess and it stinks so bad when the wind is in the wrong direction. The neighbour has now erected a 7metre high fence around his home constructed of metal tubing and black plastic netting so no one can see the mess the dogs make. The stench is vomit making. The Thai neighbour is, unbelievably, the head of the Environmental Health Department !

His Thai neighbour on the other side has a double size lot and holds bird singing competitions every weekend and holiday, and rowdy drunken parties almost nightly with Karaoke where the guests block the access road with their inconsiderate parking. Rubbish litters the lot with beer bottles etc piled everywhere.

Immediately opposite lives a very high ranking Policeman who has 3 sons who race around the community roads on un-silenced motorbikes with impunity. This family also use the car port at the front of their home as a rubbish dump where they have old furniture, fridges and lengths of timber (looks like Teakwood) and dismantled motorbikes with other parts littered in the front garden and six vehicles parked on the road outside the house making it difficult for my friend to enter his drive. The Police owner shot a neighbour who complained about his sons.

Sounds like you would be better suited to living in a more Thai-flavour community such as this, maybe you would have less to complain about than having to drive slowly through your present community!!!

My word, what a rant. Another anti thai thread hijacking.

Hmm, lets see a counter argument.

The guy in the UK who won the lotto, was a "perp" lol, bought a mansion and raced quads , had parties, drunk all the time and was a complete tosspot to the neighbours.

The guy who died because he collected rubish (again in the UK) and it collapsed in on him.

The fact in the UK if you complain about loud music or parties you're likely to get your windows bricked or a good kick in by the kids...

For every denouncement of thailand or thai people I can give you 10 for the UK, or for that matter any western country. People everywhere are both good and shits.

Edited by ernest1966

You could always move to another neighborhood without all the rules.........you know, the ones where your neighbor runs a motorcycle shop out of his garage, the neighbors drive kamakazi style down the street, the other neighbor runs a maolam business out of his carport. Oops, forgot the neighbor with the roosters.

In my previous life--before Thailand--I lived on 10 acres. My house was in the middle and I still managed to have problems with my neighbors--and I only had one neighbor!!

Wherever you live there will be rules. Here in Thailand my neighbors are pretty good--they just keep tearing down their house (one on each side) and rebuilding--always using the most power tools they can. They also party and they also have guests who park--well--like people always park here! But most of the time it's OK.

Best of luck to you though.

Don't forget the bitter fat Eddie Yates lookalikes from the North West of England who's misses plays away whilst he's trucking to Tammy Wynette in his Eddie Stowbarts lorry and hates anything and everything from the south.