How Best To Install Glass Block Into Existing Wall

simon43

So here's the problem:

My hotel guest rooms can be quite dark inside, since the only natural light comes from the patio doors on one side of the room.

I'm thinking of installing a couple of decorative square, glass blocks (from Homepro) into one of the external walls.

The walls are constructed of 'it' block, skimmed with cement and then painted.

It's no problem to hack a hole into the wall, insert the glass block and then 'repair' the surrounding of the block with new cement and repaint. But since the eixtsing paint is 2 years old, it will not match and this repair will stand out like a sore thumb!

What's the best way to install the glass block with minimal damage to the surrounding wall?

I thought of maybe painting a surrounding frame for the block in a contrasting colour....?

Suggestions welcome!

Simon

Working from the inside-

Offer up the glass block to the wall, make sure it’s level then mark around the block with a pencil. Use a steel straight-edge and a Stanley Knife to cut into the plaster/render on the inside face of the wall where you pencil marked. Make sure you cut down to the block. Alternative is to use a disc cutter but it makes a real mess and not really worth it for such a small cut internally but it may be worth it externally.

In each corner drill a hole through the wall making sure the drill is straight and at right angle to the wall. (First determine the thickness of the wall and use a quality masonry drill bit long enough to penetrate the thickness easily. Mark the thickness of the wall on the drill bit and apply masking tape to the drill bit at that mark so you will know when the “business” end of the drill is about to break through the wall externally. When the drill is almost through the wall reduce your pressure significantly and this will prevent the external render from spalling away – important if you want minimal patching up on the external face too.)

Once you have cut the plaster/render back down to the blocks drill a few more holes in the plaster/render only – ie not through the thickness of the wall, but just through the plaster/render -to start an area where it can be removed without cracking any of the surrounding plaster/render which is to remain. Work slowly and with care until most of the plaster/render is removed using a small light chisel and minimal force.

Drill holes through the wall around the entire perimeter previously pencil marked. This will weaken the blocks and also provide marks externally where the identical process can now be repeated.

Knock through the wall blocks carefully with a narrow-blade chisel using minimal force to avoid cracks in the remaining wall.

Finish off by making sure the new glass block can be located fully into the new opening then bed it into the opening using a waterproof sealant of a colour close to the current wall colour . Wet your finger with water and washing up liquid before smoothing off the mastic around the new glass block and no re-decorating is necessary. Chok dee!!!!

Phew …second thoughts get someone else to do it Simon while you sit and have a few cool ones in the shade!

Rileyslife - that sounds good advice (both the detailed advice and the beer bit..)

Since my local Thai staff don't know one end of a chisel from t'other, I'll do the job myself - just need to get my WP sorted before I do the work to make the hole....

Simon

Maybe get inside the room, lock the door, draw the curtains, bang on the a/c and forget the WP! Don't forget to take one of your staff inside with you though because they will be doing the "work", right? :o

Either way, good luck.

Actually, that might not be so far off the mark, as he could be "training" the staff member how to do it. The only way to train is by doing it several times (however many times = the number of guest rooms to modify) to show the staff member, right? :D