Chamlong Claims Abhisit Govt Not In Actual Control

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Abhisit govt not in actual control

By Chularat Saengpassa

The Nation

Published on April 27, 2009

A core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), Chamlong Srimuang, gives his views on a new PAD-led political party, the attempt on the life of fellow PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul, and current politics, after the end of the violent red-shirt protests.

The PAD is to set up a new political party. What will "new politics" be like?

The new political party will not be a copycat of the now-defunct Palang Dharma Party (PDP) that I founded 21 years ago, but will be established on principles based on lessons learnt by the PDP. A grand PAD meeting on May 24 and 25 will discuss the new party's set-up.

The new party, which has not been named, should command a majority of MP seats after the next general election, and will be a coalition member in the next government.

It will be useless if we cannot lead the coalition or form a government, because there will be nothing new to Thai politics.

PAD supporters nationwide are divided into two groups - those in favour of the new party and those who prefer that the PAD remains an independent advocacy group in politics. PAD representatives from each of the 76 provinces, and those living in the US, will decide at the grand meeting on the initial principles of the new party.

Palang Dharma actually practised the so-called "new politics" which has been heralded by the PAD, even back before 1988, when the party was established. In 1990, an American professor who did his doctoral thesis at London University, later wrote a book entitled: "Chamlong Srimuang and the New Politics". I guess it was then that the new politics was first recognised.

The new party will be successful because of three factors that Palang Dharma did not have at that time: The Election Commission will watch out for and punish vote-buying, the support of PAD members across the country, and cable channel ASTV.

It is important that the new party lead the coalition in the next government, otherwise it will be no different to all the "old politics", with its vote-buying, mud-slinging and money politics.

Who attempted to assassinate Sondhi Limthongkul, a core PAD leader?

I don't know, but there two motives behind the murder attempt: PAD has tremendous support from the masses across the country and ASTV's success as a mouthpiece for the PAD, which is known as the core of the anti-Thaksin Shinawatra movement.

Why was Sonthi the first target, as a leader of yellow-shirted people, instead of those in red shirts?

The people who gave the order didn't care who they killed, first or later. But the current political turmoil dictated the order of kills. More importanly, there are known leaders of yellow-shirted people, who are even classsified as prime and secondary leaders, while there are no known leaders of red-shirted people. Should Thaksin be killed first? He stays abroad now.

Was there really an effort to lure yellow shirts and red shirts on to the street to fight one another?

Yes, but we did not walk into that trap. Somebody may use the ensuing violence as an excuse to oppress both yellow and red shirts, citing himself as a knight on a white horse. It's the government's duty to deal with lawless protesters, not the PAD's.

As you have confirmed, there was an effort to stage a coup on April 12 and 13, a day before the red-shirted supporters' busiest activities and street protests. Why was it aborted?

A coup was seen as essential to bring peace - and secondly, it may have been used as bargaining power in exchange for a law to pardon [Thaksin], to promulgate a so-called Reconciliation Act, or even to amend the Constitution. Yet, I don't know why it was aborted.

What did the people behind the coup and the assassination attempt want?

They wanted power. They wanted to pardon some wrongdoers so they could escape serving prison terms and asset seizure. Or they wanted more and more power to become bigger in the country.

Does the ideology of some die-hard communists still exist? Was there any effort to revive it along with other tactics [used by the red shirts]?

Some die-hard communists who became Thaksin's allies will still pursue their ideology despite the collapse of Soviet-era communism and the capitalism now adopted by China. But it is very difficult for them to achieve their goal. They came up this time with a clear stance against the monarchy - a policy they never stated clearly during their armed struggle then. And they are complaining about the PAD using their anti-monarchy policy as the main goal in our campaign. It's clear to everyone now that PAD always tells the truth.

Was Thaksin part of the communists' anti-monarchy movement?

Some of them - but we don't know clearly who is who - may view Thaksin as their ally.

It was the government's duty to uphold and enforce the lese majeste law, as the anti-monarchy doctrine has been spread out and is now widely accepted by people who are highly-respected lecturers, who are admired by their like-minded students.

The anti-monarchy doctrine was a threat to national security and the government must take responsibility for its inaction in dealing with the widespread violation of the lese majeste laws. I can't tell whether the PAD would "take action" to tackle the problem, if the government proved incompetent or was inactive in dealing with the issue.

What factors would prompt the PAD to launch a new round of rallies? Would the amendment of the Constitution and the pardon law be one of them?

I don't know. We must wait and see.

The PAD staged rallies against two previous governments over plans to amend the Constitution and the pardon law. Why should it be different this time?

We cannot set up such preconditions. We need to analyse the situation because the time and circumstances have changed. The PAD doesn't own the country and cannot tell the government what not to do.

Why do the same conditions not apply like they did during the two previous governments?

We do not know what articles in the Constitution are set to be amended. It's wiser for us not to talk about it in advance.

Will the PAD rally to oust the government if it does nothing to deal with people who want to pursue an anti-monarchy stance?

It's a threat the government has to deal with. It just cannot let these people get away.

How much time should the government be allowed [to act]?

Oh. We don't own the government. We are not that big or powerful. We campaigned against the Samak and Somchai governments because they clearly acted as nominees or puppets of the Thaksin regime.

Even the Abhisit government is practising the old politics at a certain point - by kowtowing to certain groups of powerful people. For example, it has changed its stance on relocation of Thai Airways' operations from Don Mueang to Suvarnabhumi Airport, and it eventually decided to draw back from a ban on alcohol sales during Songkran, under influence from liquor companies.

I don't think the Abhisit government has the actual control, or the Asean Summit in Pattaya would have proceeded and there would have been no attack at the Interior Ministry.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of this thread is a little misleading...

Maybe it should be changed to something like "PAD leaders believe Abhisit Govt Not in Actual Control" - or something that closer resembles the nature of the article.

Myabe it is good the yellows form a political party. Maybe the pro-democracy reds shoul;d form one too instead of coattailing a bunch of provincial feudal warlords who are at least as oppresive of the people as anyone in Bangkok and maybe more so.

The government are currently in control. Maybe because they are allowed to be in control.

Interesting to start to see the PAD spin on things after weeks of red spin.

I don't think the Abhisit government has the actual control
The title of this thread is a little misleading...

Maybe it should be changed to something like "PAD leaders believe Abhisit Govt Not in Actual Control" - or something that closer resembles the nature of the article.

the Headline is very misleading

Title is correct.

Extra details if needed: Abhisit Government and Previous Government Not in Actual Control

Here's what Chumlong really said

I don't think the Abhisit government has the actual control, or the Asean Summit in Pattaya would have proceeded and there would have been no attack at the Interior Ministry.

He meant that the police and some fractions of the military really have been trying to undermine Abhisit govt...and Abhisit really has no control over these people.

I don't know if they are trying to undermine him or not. I am sure there are factions that aren't particularly loyal, but they are in control and he just might not have known to whom he should address his requests or from whom he should get approval before addressing a request to someone.

I think the power situation here is complicated and Mr. Abhisit just might agree with that.

To make it clearer Moderators might like to put the q's in the q&a in bold type.

The Nation subbie forgot to do so.

I guess CS had some quote approval on this piece, because the obvious last question, 'Who else is calling the shots if the Abhisit govt isn't?' wasn't asked.

Edited by Journalist

Most, can be all, people of TRT/PPP and PT are reds so what's the point of forming another party?

Koo, you keep telling us that the Red-Shirts are true democrats, and not just Thaksin's fanatical supporters.

If you are correct, then that is why they would need to form a new party as suggested, one which stands for popular democracy, without Thaksin who was head of TRT & the acknowledged proxy/nominee-leader of PPP.

The good news is that, in both the UDD and the PAD, there are probably many normal people, who believe in democracy and freedom and lack-of-corruption.

These supporters may one day form a genuine party to represent the ordinary people. But it cannot also be a party like PPP/PTP that has the pardoning of a corrupt on-the-run criminal as its number-one priority. :o

The good news is that, in both the UDD and the PAD, there are probably many normal people, who believe in democracy and freedom and lack-of-corruption.

These supporters may one day form a genuine party to represent the ordinary people. But it cannot also be a party like PPP/PTP that has the pardoning of a corrupt on-the-run criminal as its number-one priority. :D

Let's just believe only Khun Thaksin is corrupt. Everyone else especially Democrat Party and Newin are working for the benefits of Thailand. :o

Corruption in Thailand was not known until year 2544 when Khun T became PM. :D

Only within those 5 years Khun T worked as PM that corruption was known. :D

Ricardo,

Glad you're still keen on this "criminal" thing. :o

How did he become "criminal"? His wife bought a piece of land. Court said no fault what so ever. Land is still hers. Seller has no fault as well. He became criminal because he was PM and was her husband at the same time.

Corruption is a very well chosen word. If there were corruption, why would both seller and buyer not be charged? Why is the land still hers?

The more people talk about this case, the more laugh people in other countries have for Thailand. In their countries, they don't have this kind of "criminal".

What people are doing, including supporting the yellows to block 2 airports, is just to stop Khun T from coming back to be PM again.

Is it worth the efforts? Bringing Thailand to be a joke just to knock one man?

Let's just believe only Khun Thaksin is corrupt. Everyone else especially Democrat Party and Newin are working for the benefits of Thailand. :o

Newin and some democrats are certainly corrupt, but I have never heard Abhisit being a compulsive liar or a selfish, self-serving, two-faced, greedy, morally corrupt and manipulative SOB. I also do believe that Abhisit absolutely has every good intention for the country and he's working for the benefits of all Thai people, not just the people who voted for him and his party. Not only that, he also really believes in the democratic process. He's definitely unlike fugitive T.

Koo82, if you have evidence indicating otherwise, why don't you just share it with everyone here?

Thaksin was corrupt. If you can not acknowledge that then you really need to go back and read old newspaper clippings Koo. And just because others are also corrupt does not mean that his corruption should be excused.

^Correct - but Justice is supposed to be blind. (The statue atop the Old Bailey is blindfolded!). She, (the Goddess that is), doesn't just go after the people for whom she has personal animosity, a grudge towards, or one person to be made an example of.

By all means go after TS, but go after all the others under suspicion too. Eg: Juthamas of the TAT.

And amnesties shouldn't exonerate all those others in order to re-graft all over again, while being manipulated to exclude him. (I happen to think nobody should be amnestied)

Edited by Journalist

Newin and some democrats are certainly corrupt, but I have never heard Abhisit being a compulsive liar or a selfish, self-serving, two-faced, greedy, morally corrupt and manipulative SOB. I also do believe that Abhisit absolutely has every good intention for the country and he's working for the benefits of all Thai people, not just the people who voted for him and his party. Not only that, he also really believes in the democratic process. He's definitely unlike fugitive T.

Koo82, if you have evidence indicating otherwise, why don't you just share it with everyone here?

But no one has talked about how corrupt Newin is since the date he hugged Abhisit.

So, if Khun T hugged Abhisit, no one would talk about Khun T's corruption.

Ricardo,

Glad you're still keen on this "criminal" thing. :o

How did he become "criminal"? His wife bought a piece of land. Court said no fault what so ever. Land is still hers. Seller has no fault as well. He became criminal because he was PM and was her husband at the same time.

Corruption is a very well chosen word. If there were corruption, why would both seller and buyer not be charged? Why is the land still hers?

The more people talk about this case, the more laugh people in other countries have for Thailand. In their countries, they don't have this kind of "criminal".

What people are doing, including supporting the yellows to block 2 airports, is just to stop Khun T from coming back to be PM again.

Is it worth the efforts? Bringing Thailand to be a joke just to knock one man?

This is such a lie. The land has already been returned to that gov't agency that sold it to her. The land was returned because the sale was judged as a void by the court. The money was given back to Potjaman. The only reason that she wasn't found guilty was because that particular law only applied to politicians. It's the law that prohibits conflicts of interest in politics.

Potjaman of course has been found guilty in another corruption case.

Potjaman Guilty of Tax Fraud

Thaksin was corrupt. If you can not acknowledge that then you really need to go back and read old newspaper clippings Koo. And just because others are also corrupt does not mean that his corruption should be excused.

I read them, but I still cannot know how he can be accused of corruption. I only see that he is very rich and powerful.

After all those years, people still cannot prove if Khun Thaksin is corrupt or not. Only that land case is known with 5/4 result.

But no one has talked about how corrupt Newin is since the date he hugged Abhisit.

So, if Khun T hugged Abhisit, no one would talk about Khun T's corruption.

Watch ASTV. I see they have been talking about that quite often. And you seriously think that once Newin hugged Abhisit, all of a sudden majority of Thais believe he's clean? Are you serious?

I read them, but I still cannot know how he can be accused of corruption. I only see that he is very rich and powerful.

After all those years, people still cannot prove if Khun Thaksin is corrupt or not. Only that land case is known with 5/4 result.

:o:D:D

By all means go after TS, but go after all the others under suspicion too. Eg: Juthamas of the TAT.

There's that, and there's also the reality - only under Democrat party Thai anti-corruption agencies have any chance of succeding, no one else would let them go anywhere near corrupt politicians, not Newin, not Thaksin, no one.

There's also low tolerance for public pressure at the moment, even if for legitimate reasons, it was all exhausted on reds and yellows.

Now is a good time to steal and plunder - no one is watching the shop, Abhisit is too busy reasoning with monkeys, as if they'd ever listen. Even if he gets a reprieve and turns to his real job - the urgency of economic crisis means less transparency and more leakage for the sake of speed, anti-corruption drive will have to wait.

^^ I agree. After 3 or so years, you'd think there would be lots more big ticket cases pending.

I believe there are a number, and Sr. John etc has details of those. Are they billions of dollars of embezzlement? These are the numbers one might expect to see from a really bent third world head honcho.

The 'everyone knows he was dirty' only works up to a point. I realise though people tend not to put evidence of their malfeasance down in writing.

Edited by Journalist

the Democrat Party many years ago obtained a donation of Bt258 million from Prachai Leophairatana, then the top executive of TPI Polene, a public company listed on the stock exchange.At that time,Pradit was Democrat secretary-general and Banyat Bantadtan was party leader.

Chalerm said his point was that the donation came from someone who did not really own the money.

"When the money doesn't belong to the person who gives it, you can't call that a donation. The money is not a personal asset

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...halerm+can+nail