Calling Thailand From The Us And Canada

meme

I will be working in the US and Canada this summer and will need to call my husband. I am assuming I will have a cell phone.

What is the best way to call Thailand? Would Skype be best, he does not have a computer so I would be calling his mobile from my computer. Or is there a calling card or something I should use.

I use calling cards from thaitel.com for years now. You can buy on cost or quality. That will allow you to call from any phone. If you want to be tied to a computer there are a number of VOIP solutions ie Skype, Yahoo, etc.

I call my GF / soon-to-be-wife almost daily from Canada. Prepaid calling cards work great. aprox 180 minutes for $10.00 Cdn - 300 Baht. My personal favorite is Optimum as they work in Yukon territory where I work. Toll-free access Canada and USA.

Edited by seedy

Best option is a MagicJack and can be found at www.magicjack.com.

This device is absolutely amazing. We have two of them and use them wherever we go. One stays in Thailand attached to our home computer and the other goes with my wife or I and attaches to laptop wherever we are in the world. Both have USA phone numbers and are accessed by calling city in USA to which it is assigned. If more than one, you can call someone with another MJ as if calling the US (say one is in Thailand and the other on a laptop in Australia for instance). After buying the device for around $30, all calls, voicemail, caller ID, and everything else is free. The thing has changed our lives...almost too good to be true since we call the US every day (and people from US call us).

I just got back from the states. Not sure which area you will be in, but I purchased an international calling card from COSTCO for $30. Calling Thailand cost about 8baht per minute. Easy to use and lasted the entire time while I was there.

Peanuts LD (google it) has a calling card 600+ minutes for $20. I've used this for a couple years. Good quality, can set phone numbers so you don't have to enter a pin from phones you regularly use...etc...

This Skype option is intriguing though... $5 unlimited? nice...

Hands down and most practical is buying a phone card from any thai restaurant or market. They sell many and cost as less as 1 cent per minute. What city will you be in?

Thats all very well but the OP will be in US and wants to ring to Thailand

Yes. Just go to any Thai restaurant or market in the U.S. and they sell phone cards to call back home.

http://www.tollthai.com/

I use the fan chan card. Its like $5