Employee Showing Up Late

most Thai companies have a fning system in place,

IE 0 - 30 mins late 100 THB fine

30 - 1hr - 200 THB Fine...

seems to work,

Interesting, when you say "most", do you really mean that, or is it more like, you know a few companies that have that policy?

I am also honestly curious, because if this is a very common thing, this might be an option for me.

I fine them 50 Baht for being late. It is usually the same people who are consistently late. It can add up. I'm not sure if this is legal. I would never let someone come late more than 1 hour.

A time clock sounds good and start paying by the hour.

If they show up real late make them clean the bathrooms and do some other nasty jobs.

we have a syatem that seems to work well, so far they are allowed 2 lates per month, the third late they loose 20% of thier service charge, 4 late is 50% 5 is 100%. No call no show is automatic 100% loss of service charge plus 3 day suspension/ termination depending on their records.

he y risk loosing 4-5k a month this way their forfited service charge is dispersed amongst their co workers

My small company is having minor problems with employees not showing up on time.

The problem is actually two-fold. That is, we are not always busy, and the employees usually show up on time, however, they do not always, but it feels a little bit awkward to scold someone for not being on time, when they might sit for 4 hours and have little to do anyway.

And the frustrating part is that, when we are busy, and they show up late, it causes major stress for me. What should i do?

And when i am talking about showing up late, i do not have a problem if they show up 10 min late sometimes, but i am talking about when they show up 1-2 hours late.

sounds like you may own a bar with service girls and open in the evening? if so maybe ,they are late because there is no certain closing time, i know of one bar in the north that fines them for being late, but has no closing time...and expect them to stay until the last customer leaves. THey actually work more becasue of this.

if this is your business, i advise you not to fine them for being late, or give them a certain time they can go home, leaving maybe one or two people on rotation who must stay until the customers leave.

this is the only busines i can think of where the workers would be 1-2 hours late, any other type of business should result in firing.

A slightly different tack - don't do business in Thailand! :)

Personally I couldn't handle the childishness of it all but admire those who do business here and make it work. Guess you need to get the bad apples out and establish an anchor. If it is the tarty bar trade simply accepting it for what it is could be less stressful. Good luck :D