Blooopers! Ex-priminister Thaksin Made A Huge Slip

ThNiner

And here is a more learned translation and interpretition that appeared on New Mandala about this video:

Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Somsak Jeamteerasakul // Apr 26, 2009 at 4:21 am I already commented on this video somewhere on this site, so I'll confine myself to the following issue.

Jotman #87

You mis-translated the crucial sentence, the one you emphasized with bold fonts. (Unfortunately, even BP repeats the mistake on his post.)

Thai text:

แต่ถ้าพี่น้องบอกว่า ทักษิณมาทำเองเลย พร้อมครับ

จะขอเหนื่อยตอนอายุ 60 นี่อีกครั้งหนึ่ง

ไม่ต้องไปเข้าแถวรอรับ 500 บาท

Now, you translated the 3rd line as : And you don't need to go to queue up for 500 baht.

The mistake (and it's important in the context of the 'controversy') is it should be "I" not "you". (The correct translation would be: "And I don't need to queqe up to receive 500 Bht.")

In other words, Thaksin was saying :

I will work for you for free: I don't need to be paid even the 500 Bht (which I'd be entitled to under Abhisit scheme).

It is "I" because Thaksin was refering to himself being 60 years old (this July), but still willing to work if called for. If it were "you", that sentence would not make sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Nice attempt at a recovery, but we already know, Thaksin never works for free, he made very good money from being PM. :o

And why the shifty look, after the Blooper, is that his normal look, or did he just realise what he had said ? ! :D

And here is a more learned translation and interpretition that appeared on New Mandala about this video:

Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Somsak Jeamteerasakul // Apr 26, 2009 at 4:21 am I already commented on this video somewhere on this site, so I'll confine myself to the following issue.

Jotman #87

You mis-translated the crucial sentence, the one you emphasized with bold fonts. (Unfortunately, even BP repeats the mistake on his post.)

Thai text:

แต่ถ้าพี่น้องบอกว่า ทักษิณมาทำเองเลย พร้อมครับ

จะขอเหนื่อยตอนอายุ 60 นี่อีกครั้งหนึ่ง

Now, you translated the 3rd line as : And you don't need to go to queue up for 500 baht.

The mistake (and it's important in the context of the 'controversy') is it should be "I" not "you". (The correct translation would be: "And I don't need to queqe up to receive 500 Bht.")

In other words, Thaksin was saying :

I will work for you for free: I don't need to be paid even the 500 Bht (which I'd be entitled to under Abhisit scheme).

It is "I" because Thaksin was refering to himself being 60 years old (this July), but still willing to work if called for. If it were "you", that sentence would not make sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess people just should see Thaksin as what he is a crook, and selfish SOB and only cares about his money. And the fact he referred to 500 Bt a day whether he said I or you and the pause after he realizing what he said shows he is pay off the Red shirt. May not all but a lot so the other lamb just follow.

Yeh ...weII you're just sIow Boater :D

(edited: your to you're. Dont want the speIIing poIice after me! :o )

...SIow boat(er)...theres a joke in there somewhere.. hmm...but nvm.

Edited by eek

Wonder how many hours it wiII take admin to merge aII this months threads showing and discussing this same video cIip....... :o

I haven't regularly visited TV for a while...so please accept my apology. :D

NO! unacceptable! Proceed directIy to the spanking department. SIackers wiII not be toIerated. :D

translation says NOTHING about I.

It could be you, it could be I, it could be us.

Unless you can read Thai, then please don't try to reference the translation that this is 'I' because anyone can tell you that it is simply not clear.

however....what is clear is that at age 60, there is no payment of 500b in any queues; Thailand generally doesn't have a pension scheme as per some of the western world.

Idiotic thing to say under either context.

however....what is clear is that at age 60, there is no payment of 500b in any queues; Thailand generally doesn't have a pension scheme as per some of the western world.

yes, there is no I or You, or Us. doesn't there. thai is pronoun-drop, or pro-drop language. the subject, to who or what is refered is understandable in the context. if you translate it into english. you add a subject, and there is nothing wrong to add there in that line a personal pronoun. I would be the right pronoun, you a mistranslation.

there is a payment of exactly 500 baht for the elderly. a programm by the abhisit government.

Cash aid lifts old folks' spirits

Elderly people welcome the help which they say will make a difference to families abandoned by their children heading to the city, writes Achara Ashayagachat in Lampang

Bangkok Post Published: 7/02/2009

The government's planned handout of a 500 baht monthly cash allowance for the elderly has been derided as a drop in the ocean of their economic woes.

But the elderly themselves do not see the aid money as mere peanuts. Supporters of the scheme to assist people aged 60 and above argue that it is these senior citizens who are spenders and the allowances will ultimately come back to boost the economy.

continue here

why don't stick to reality instead of spinning some fantasy?