Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I figured as much.  They never formally issued a press release saying that they've dropped Visa completely. I assumed it would have created mass panic.   It certainly would have been newsworthy and would also created a long TV forum post. 

Can someone link or post screenshot showing that visa debit cards are going to expire en masse next year? 

Snapshot from bottom of below Bangkok Bank webpage....they are talking the "Visa" debit card.    The statement is referring to both chipped and non-chipped cards as anytime they have "Smart" in the card name that means it's a chipped card and if without the Smart word in the card name its an old style magnetic strip card.   

One reason 2019 is a key date is that is the cutoff date Visa/Mastercard has set for certain countries to complete the transition to chipped cards if they want full Visa/Mastercard protections.  And of course the Bank of Thailand rolls in beating their chest like they are setting the cutoff date for transition to chipped cards, but it's really Visa/Mastercard.

Now when Bangkok Bank reissued the wife and I new Visa debit cards about a year ago, the expiration date on our  Bangkok Visa chipped debit cards is Dec 2021.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/B1stnewdefault.aspx

image.png.ea8692388167fb5475952337929d9031.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pib said:

Snapshot from bottom of below Bangkok Bank webpage....they are talking the "Visa" debit card.    The statement is referring to both chipped and non-chipped cards as anytime they have "Smart" in the card name that means it's a chipped card and if without the Smart word in the card name its an old style magnetic strip card.   

One reason 2019 is a key date is that is the cutoff date Visa/Mastercard has set for certain countries to complete the transition to chipped cards if they want full Visa/Mastercard protections.  And of course the Bank of Thailand rolls in beating their chest like they are setting the cutoff date for transition to chipped cards, but it's really Visa/Mastercard.

Now when Bangkok Bank reissued the wife and I new Visa debit cards about a year ago, the expiration date on our  Bangkok Visa chipped debit cards is Dec 2021.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/B1stnewdefault.aspx

image.png.ea8692388167fb5475952337929d9031.png

Pib, you wanna translate what you think all of that above means in terms of the status of BKKB chipped Visa debit cards, such as yours and mine, in terms of the 2019 issue vs our 2021 card expire dates?

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

TG,

I can not see into the minds of banksters as they use Darth Vader type helmets to shield their evil thoughts from others.

Ha ha, I'd agree with that!

I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow, as I have a BKK Bank Be1st Visa card magnetic stripe only, which expires 2026. I wonder if I can still use it for online purchase until then, by not replacing it with a chip & pin card and that useless Union Pay card?

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha, I'd agree with that!

I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow, as I have a BKK Bank Be1st Visa card magnetic stripe only, which expires 2026. I wonder if I can still use it for online purchase until then, by not replacing it with a chip & pin card and that useless Union Pay card?

I expect your magnetic stripe only card will work thru 31 Dec 2019 as that is the deadline Thai banks have to replace them with chipped cards.

See partial quote below from the weblink below which has a full/detailed article...even talks the UnionPay/Thai Payment Network (TPN) marriage which birthed the ugly baby Bangkok Bank dual logo TPN/UnionPay debit card.

https://www.tilleke.com/resources/regulation-domestic-debit-card-transactions-thailand

Also, for those cards issued prior to enforcement of the new requirements, they can continue to be used, but the issuer will eventually need to replace them with cards meeting the chip card standard by December 31, 2019.

51 minutes ago, Pib said:

TG,

I can not see into the minds of banksters as they use Darth Vader type helmets to shield their evil thoughts from others.

Nor could I, in reading the long explanation and quotes you posted above. But I kind of wondered after that many words, you might have gleaned some secret insight.  Guess not...  :laugh:

As for me, I'll just say, I got my new BKK Bank chipped Visa debit card just last week as a replacement, and had an extended discussion with bank staff as part of that transaction. And I'm pretty sure I was assured the new CHIPPED card I received will continue to be usable and valid until its 2021 expiration date.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nor could I, in reading the long explanation and quotes you posted above. But I kind of wondered after that many words, you might have gleaned some secret insight.  Guess not...  :laugh:

As for me, I'll just say, I got my new BKK Bank chipped Visa debit card just last week as a replacement, and had an extended discussion with bank staff as part of that transaction. And I'm pretty sure I was assured the new CHIPPED card I received will continue to be usable and valid until its 2021 expiration date.

I tend to agree the Bangkok Bank Visa debit card will continue to work thru Dec 21.  Do I have any document/weblink to backup that statement?  No?  Just a gut feel from watching this transition over the last couple years and Bangkok Bank's changing statements...changing & sometimes cryptic info on their webpage. 

Right now the majority of "credit cards" offered by Bankgok Bank are Visa cards....then they have some Mastercard credit cards....an American Express credit card....and one UnionPay credit card.  So, Bangkok Bank still has a solid relationship with Visa and continue to issue Visa credit cards.  That contractual relationship is why they are still able to issue Visa "debit" cards if they really want to. But I expect the number of Visa debit cards they issue now is by exception....when the customer convinces the branch a Visa card is needed...Bangkok Bank still pushes its ugly baby dual logo TPN/UnionPay debit card.

The Bangkok Bank dual logo UnionPay/TPN debit card surely will not survive unless it can used by most merchants in Thailand for purchases...and right now only a few merchants accept UnionPay cards.    Visa/Mastercard acceptance still rules in Thailand.    Maybe over the coming year or two a lot more merchants will hopefully start accepting UnionPay cards....and this ugly baby few merchants want to touch right now will turn into a normal looking and accepted baby.  Time will tell.

Further to the Visa/UselessPayUnionPay card discussion:

Today I had a conversation with BKK Bank on 1333 (after emailing a complaint to say I had been in the queue (aka on hold) for an hour and ten minutes – this was over two calls – without getting to speak to anyone.)

My question was about their ‘useless’ UnionPay card as I described it. I said my Visa debit card (magnetic stripe only, no chip) doesn’t expire until 2026, could I still use it after 2019 for online purchases only?
The girl said that all non-chipped cards would cease to be valid after the end of 2019. I would therefore need to replace it with a chipped card.

I asked her the reason why BKK Bank had changed from Visa to UnionPay for their debit cards. She wasn't aware of why that happened.
I said that I definitely didn’t want a useless UnionPay card as from what a couple of people have told me and from what I’ve read (here), hardly anybody accepts them in Thailand, and internationally it is not well-known either.

The girl told me that all retailers can accept UnionPay in Thailand - it will be accepted by the retailers card machine.

I suggested that all the banks’ marketing departments should inform card retailers about this. I saw someone in Tesco having his UnionPay card refused (without being inserted in to the machine), while later in the same queue my (SCB) MasterCard was accepted.

The girl did try to sell me the idea of a credit card, as they still have the Visa option on that.
I said I was guessing they would want a bonded security deposit before I could use it? She seemed surprised I was aware of that and said ‘yes’.
I told her that it wasn’t then a credit card, as they weren’t offering me any credit, but was in fact a debit card, while they held onto my security bond until the card was cancelled. It was was therefore more restrictive than a debit card. She begrudgingly accepted that was true. I decline the offer.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:39 PM, 4evermaat said:

do you remember the date you applied for the replacement BkB Visa Debit Card?

3 month ago - End of April 2018 I got to my great surprise a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit Card in a remote Amphoe in Nan Province - I tried since about a year to get a new card in other BKK Branches and contacted also BKK bank with Call Center and with e.mail - nothing helped before.  ?

On 6/26/2018 at 11:00 AM, bravo19 said:

But please don’t forget, visa debit cards from bangkok bank can only used untill end of 2019, after then only union pay cards are valid

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have got a chip card with valid until 12/22 printed on it - so let us wait and see. ?

I may be new here, but I am not new to Thailand. I am struggling to understand why people with Bangkok Bank account who don't like losing their Visa / Mastercard / Whatever card to Uion Pay don't just change banks like they do in their home country.. I find changing banks here so much easier in so many regards than my home bank.

Example is if I lose my card here, I just wander into my bank and get a new card on the spot. If I was in my home country, I would be filling out forms and waiting a week to get my new card in the mail.

I understand that if you live far away from your branch that things can be an issue, but if you are moving isn't that something one would plan for?

If you don't like your bank service, move to another branch.

With all due respect, what am I missing here?

40 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Example is if I lose my card here, I just wander into my bank and get a new card on the spot. If I was in my home country, I would be filling out forms and waiting a week to get my new card in the mail.

The only reason they can do that is because your name is not on the card - unless your name is 'Privileged Member' ?

This week I decided to open a separate bank account for my visa requirement.

As we all know it depends on which bank you go to, which branch, who you speak to - in order to receive a myriad of different replies. For your entertainment here's the results.

Went into SCB with my wife. Greeted with the question as to what I wanted an account for?
Staff seemed to think it wasn’t easy to open an account. I responded by asking why it was difficult. They asked if I had an account somewhere else. Yup, another SCB account elsewhere (in the same town).

Was asked for the passbook. Didn’t have it with me, but gave them my account number. They checked, and seemed surprised I was telling the truth.

The staff told me they had to email BKK to ask for approval for me to open an account. Again I responded by suggesting it should be perhaps half an hour to get a reply back by email. No, it would be maybe four or five days.
I picked up my passport and said I would go and open a Kasikorn account instead.

We went into Kasikorn and again asked to open an account. It took three staff to have a discussion and then asked if I had a work permit. No, not any more as I was retired. Sorry, no WP, no account.
I said to them that two friends opened accounts in that same branch last year with only a passport.
The reply to that was that now there were new regulations since last year, and it wasn’t possible any more with a just a passport.

Walked into another SCB branch. When asked to open an account, staff asked what documentation I had. Offered my passport.
Did I have anything else? Showed my yellow house book, pink ID card. My wife gave them her ID card.
Seemed more hopeful, but still wanted to know if I had any further documents? Showed them my phone with a copy of the two wedding certificates from the amphur (R.S.2 & R.S.3)

They gave me an email address for the branch – could I email the copies in my phone to them? I did that while a girl started filling in an account application form.
By the time I’d signed copies of my passport, yellow housebook, & pink ID, the marriage certificates appeared, having just been printed out. Signed those too. Success! Managed to open an account.

All three banks were in Udon Thani city centre.

I think that’s my eighth Thai bank account in twenty years - due to moving location, having two business accounts, etc.
This latest SCB account definitely wanted the most documentation required for any account I’ve opened however.

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

unless your name is 'Privileged Member' ?

I wish ;).

That I suppose is part of my point. Why is the name on Visa and Mastercard required in other countries and not Thailand? It would be safe to assume that Thailand banks are governed by Visa and Mastercard in regard to whether a name is required or not.

Thai banks actually have some great features and were well ahead of my home country in offering transaction SMS and email notifications. And getting cards on the spot is a good feature.

3 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Thai banks actually have some great features and were well ahead of my home country in offering transaction SMS and email notifications. And getting cards on the spot is a good feature.

It's also handy to have the name of the person you are transferring money to appear on the ATM/phone/computer screen. Less chance of sending money to the wrong account.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:00 AM, KhaoYai said:

800km? Well done, there's committment for you - walking 800km to open a bank account ?

lol - I thought I wrote it clear enough

"I walked 800 km from my place in Nan province -in- a Bangkok Bank"

I walked 800 km from my place, 

in Nan province -in- .......

I not walked -to-   ......... 

On 6/28/2018 at 1:32 AM, sikishrory said:

I don't understand why people are so keen to continue supporting a bank that doesn't support you back. 

I got tired of doing battle with them. Moved all my funds out and now enjoy cards without limitations

Because they put some hurdles in front of me to open a new account. ?

21 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I may be new here, but I am not new to Thailand. I am struggling to understand why people with Bangkok Bank account who don't like losing their Visa / Mastercard / Whatever card to Uion Pay don't just change banks like they do in their home country.. I find changing banks here so much easier in so many regards than my home bank.

I understand that if you live far away from your branch that things can be an issue, but if you are moving isn't that something one would plan for?

Getting a new card is easy but open a new bank account at another Bank or at another branch of the same bank is now with big hurdles - what I saw and got told where I tried. 

21 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

{snipped}

Since your post, I posted about not only the hassle of opening a new account, but the inconsistency as well - even from the same bank, different branch in the same town. Three banks, three different stories:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/260738-opening-a-new-bank-account-in-thailand/?page=62&tab=comments#comment-13122596

8 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I wish ;).

That I suppose is part of my point. Why is the name on Visa and Mastercard required in other countries and not Thailand? It would be safe to assume that Thailand banks are governed by Visa and Mastercard in regard to whether a name is required or not.

Well at last I've 'made' it then - the name on my Kasikorn card is 'Privileged Member' ?

I guess having your name on the card adds another level of security - you can be asked for matching ID when using it.

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Try opening a bank account in the UK!

There's a reason why you have to provide documentation in the UK and provided you have it, you shouldn't have a problem. The reason is, as we see on TV almost everyday - people being scammed out of their life savings, usually into a UK bank account and then spirited away in cash.  Its not a walk in the park I'll grant you and even with the safeguards in place, the scammers are still opening accounts but at least some efforts are being made to stop them.

• 2 months later...

I spent the past few days playing the lets open a bank account game. The goal of the game is to get a Thai bank account with a Visa debit card that gives me "free" ATM withdrawels. The purpose of course is to season the Immigration required moolah AND give me a way to not have to carry a whole bunch of  cash as I roam around. Anything else the bank can do for me is icing on the cake. I am here on an SETV. Here are the winners and losers.

1. Siam Commercial: no work permit, no account, three branches including at Mquartier.

2. Kasikorn: no work permit, no account, two branches.

3. Bangkok Bank: sure we will, but head to your embassy and get a letter verify who you are and we dont do Visa, we do Union Pay only. well, Sorry, I dont do China banking.

and the winner:

Krungsri, Mquartier Branch, an hour of paperwork, a 500 baht fee on an ATM card, a passbook, 4 fee free at any ATMs a month and unlimited fee free Yellow ATMs. All deposits must be made at a branch.  Cant use the Visa for purchases though. No internet banking. Done.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I spent the past few days playing the lets open a bank account game. The goal of the game is to get a Thai bank account with a Visa debit card that gives me "free" ATM withdrawels. The purpose of course is to season the Immigration required moolah AND give me a way to not have to carry a whole bunch of  cash as I roam around. Anything else the bank can do for me is icing on the cake. I am here on an SETV. Here are the winners and losers.

1. Siam Commercial: no work permit, no account, three branches including at Mquartier.

3. Bangkok Bank: sure we will, but head to your embassy and get a letter verify who you are and we dont do Visa, we do Union Pay only. well, Sorry, I dont do China banking.

and the winner:

Krungsri, Mquartier Branch, an hour of paperwork, a 500 baht fee on an ATM card, a passbook, 4 fee free at any ATMs a month and unlimited fee free Yellow ATMs. All deposits must be made at a branch.  Cant use the Visa for purchases though. No internet banking. Done.

Did you turn down the internet banking at Krungsri or was it not made available to you?  Sound like you got the Mee Tae Dai savings account, which is the same that I have.   I was in your position and was able to get online banking at Krungsri, but it was about four or five years ago.  Things may have changed, just curious.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

and the winner:

Yes krungsri bank was easiest for me years ago. But immigration open a Bangkok Bank account for me.

32 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Did you turn down the internet banking at Krungsri or was it not made available to you?  Sound like you got the Mee Tae Dai savings account, which is the same that I have.   I was in your position and was able to get online banking at Krungsri, but it was about four or five years ago.  Things may have changed, just curious.

they said it wasnt available. After my balance gets fatter or when I get the retirement visa, I will talk to the manager

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 5:26 PM, Nyezhov said:

and the winner:

See this website regarding the various Krungsri Debit card....they don't have any card with a Bt500 fee, whether as an annual fee or as an initial issue fee plus annual fee.   Maybe you are generously rounding whatever the fee was. Or maybe the Bt500 is the miniumun opening bank account opening deposit of Bt500 which is standard at Thai banks for a typical savings account.

Here their webpage talking their Krungsri's various debit cards....talks fees and benefits...how they can be used...etc....find you card to see the specifics.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/KrungsriDebitcard.html

Probably what they meant by the 4 fee-free ATM withdrawals is for "inter-region" ATM withdrawals at any ATM, their ATMs or other Thai banks.  Thai banks have this thing about "inter and intra banking region" fees.   The 4 fee-free withdrawals is standard at almost all Thai banks for "standard savings accounts" because the banks are part of the "Thailand ATM Pool" which provides 4 fee-free ATMs inter-region withdrawals per month.   5th withdrawal and above then usually get into fee per withdrawal of usually 15 or 20 baht.  Pretty standard policy among most Thai banks although most bank do have some special debit cards that offer fee-free withdrawals at any of their ATM nationwide.   

I fully expect you can also make deposits in a Cash Deposit Machine also....it does not have to be at a branch although CDMs are usually just outside/inside a branch versus being stuck out in the middle of know or just everywhere like many ATMs are.

I bet your Krungsri debit card can be used for online purchases although sometimes you have to active that function.   My Krungsri debit card can be used for online purchases....I tried it once and it worked.

Internet banking is available but for some reason some branches like to withhold that from new accounts for foreigners if they don't have a long stay visa....more of a branch thing than a bank policy.

I have a Krungsri account with debit card and ibanking so I'm speaking from experience also.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

See this website regarding the various Krungsri Debit card....they don't have any card with a Bt500 fee, whether as an annual fee or as an initial issue fee plus annual fee.   Maybe you are generously rounding whatever the fee was. Or maybe the Bt500 is the miniumun opening bank account opening deposit of Bt500 which is standard at Thai banks for a typical savings account.

Here their webpage talking their Krungsri's various debit cards....talks fees and benefits...how they can be used...etc....find you card to see the specifics.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/KrungsriDebitcard.html

Probably what they meant by the 4 fee-free ATM withdrawals is for "inter-region" ATM withdrawals at any ATM, their ATMs or other Thai banks.  Thai banks have this thing about "inter and intra banking region" fees.   The 4 fee-free withdrawals is standard at almost all Thai banks for "standard savings accounts" because the banks are part of the "Thailand ATM Pool" which provides 4 fee-free ATMs inter-region withdrawals per month.   5th withdrawal and above then usually get into fee per withdrawal of usually 15 or 20 baht.  Pretty standard policy among most Thai banks although most bank do have some special debit cards that offer fee-free withdrawals at any of their ATM nationwide.   

I fully expect you can also make deposits in a Cash Deposit Machine also....it does not have to be at a branch although CDMs are usually just outside/inside a branch versus being stuck out in the middle of know or just everywhere like many ATMs are.

I bet your Krungsri debit card can be used for online purchases although sometimes you have to active that function.   My Krungsri debit card can be used for online purchases....I tried it once and it worked.

Internet banking is available but for some reason some branches like to withhold that from new accounts for foreigners if they don't have a long stay visa....more of a branch thing than a bank policy.

I have a Krungsri account with debit card and ibanking so I'm speaking from experience also.

Dont really care to argue but I was charged a fee for the card. No biggie. And it cannot be used for purchases until I get a Retirement extension, then they will change it for me. Nor can I make depositis at a machine. I went to the branch near the US embassy to confirm all of that. They did tell me that if I went to an ATM near my branch or the Embassy branch and I withdrew from a US account and IMMEDIATELY went in with the receipt and deposiuted the cash, they would show it as funds coming from outside Thailand.

Archived