Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

I have opened an account with UOB bank in sg in sg dollar, visa debit card and internet banking 3 months ago. For documentation you need: passport, reference letter from another bank and proof of residence (e.g. bank statement). I am resident in th and not sg and also not have sg citizenship.

For first deposit they only ask 1000 or 2000 sgd. Cant remember anymore. This kind of account can be only in sgd. Another currency is possible but there is no debit card available.

Cash money with visa card or paying online works fine as long as you have money on the account. Secured credit card is also available

Edited by Crisu

Re. Bangkok Bank, if you're in Bangkok, go to the HQ on Silom. Very good service.

I have a non-immigrant OA visa.

Went to Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit (between soi 8 and soi 10) in Bangkok. They told me I needed a work permit or a declaration from my embassy (they have the forms at the bank) to "validate" my passport with the OA visa....

I know that BKK Bank branch you're referring to. Never been particularly helpful or friendly toward farang customers, in my experience. Same with the nearby Siam Commercial Branch on Suk Soi 11.

For BKK Bank, a better option is their Siam Paragon branch on the lower/basement level.

This was my experience today. I have the retirement extension and a UK passport. Told at the HQ in Silom road that if I wanted to open a new account I would need the letter from the UK embassy and they even showed me a sample of the letter from the UK embassy. I wanted to close a fixed deposit account and transfer to a savings account but not allowed to do so. Also tried another branch of the Bangkok Bank on Silom road and got the same response there, passport required and a letter from the British embassy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at a point where I want a bank account for retirement visa. So Bangkok Bank asked me for yellow book. This is in Sakon Nakhon. I'll try in bangkok when I go back to work.

what immigration are you going to use,the account must be where your living,so as to get your bank statement on the day you apply for the extension.

you will need proof of residency and passport at the bank.

it might be better if you asked this in the visa forum.

I'm at a point where I want a bank account for retirement visa. So Bangkok Bank asked me for yellow book. This is in Sakon Nakhon. I'll try in bangkok when I go back to work.

I expect there was some miscommunication. I expect what they really trying to communicate was they wanted a certificate or residency, a work permit, "or a Yellow Book." Any would make them happy.

As you plan to do, just go to another branch to see what they want...if will not be standardized from branch to branch as to how easy or hard it is to open an account as a farang.

100% true about branch and more importantly the dkhead, pardon me....person u are dealing with. Applies to govt offices too. Normal scenario. U want to open an account or do something a little out of the ordinary because u are farang. The dill you get stuck with isn't sure of the particular procedure, is scared he she will make a mistake. Huge loss of face to simply say they're not sure and go and ask someone so the bs starts. Excuses, need letters, need 15 people from Ur Amphur to come and guarantee you. Anything to make you go away and let them get on with playing facebook. The more you push them the more BS you will hear as they play their childish game to hide their ignorance. Went through it all this morning at Bangkok Bank. Bloke wanted me to bring the poh jai ban from our old Amphur (3 hours away) to "guarantee" me. Guarantee what we asked? Blank dog face stare. Oh a letter would be ok? A letter stating or guaranteeing what? Blank dog faced stare. It gives me the shts

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

I'm here on a 30 day visitors visa but got a Bangkok Bank account in Chiang Mai 'cos I told them (truthfully) I wanted a account for my retirement money. Got internet banking as well. So far I have not made any transactions but tried to add an account (Thai) to transfer money to, They use a system of texting your Thailand registered phone number an OTP (one time password) to verify you are you before you can do anything. It does mean that you are limited as to what you can use your account for from abroad though. Also use the OTP if you want to change your username or password (through a menu at the ATM) Dunno if any of this is useful to anybody.

You can still use OTP if you are overseas. Thai sim card can still accept incoming SMS for free anywhere in the world. You can test this the next time you travel internationally by logging into any app that generates SMS OTP to your thai #. For AIS, the eService app uses 100% OTP as the password to login.

Just for closure, i've since moved to Chiang Mai and have opened an account with Siam Commercial Bank with no problem. All they asked for was my passport.

thumbsup.gif I would go ahead and setup internet banking, if you have not already done so. Do NOT wait 6 months from now. Set it up now and add at least one 3rd party account and/or payee and make a payment/transfer. If you add someone that has the same bank acct, it is usually free for the first 5-10 transfers for that month....or it is cheap. Also setup your purchases (VbV or MC SecureCode), which now will likely be OTP interface anyway. This way, you verify that your atm debit, internet banking are setup and ready to use.

the info is WRONG. STILL NEED EMBASSY LETTER

in the end i went to the branch, only to find a NO and after much talking then only im allow to open unless i got the embassy letter. I was told the rule change since this yr,.

I think i give up. Will just bring CASH AROUND.

I would try your luck at different branches. But there is a more economical approach which may yield longer term success down the road. There was a book about Thai culture and one quote that stuck out to me was that [paraphrasing] "Thailand is not a society based on law, but a society based on relationships." The whole face thing can come into play as far as not ruining an otherwise great relationship on a trivial technicality. But who you know or who knows you can benefit you greatly when you run into snags like this. How many people here have tried to reach out to local contacts (Thai or foreigner) and let them know their troubles about opening an account? You might be surprised that one of them might know someone who knows someone who works at a bank you need access to. Maybe it might not be the specific branch you want. But so what? You start somewhere, even if it is out of province. As long as you can setup internet banking and get a debit card, your still in the game until you can open a new account at a more desirable location.

But if all else fails, trying several and several more different locations may yield positive results. YMMV. Try not to make a scene if the initial answer is 'cannot' or 'work permit'. Smile and calmly present your case (even if you want to choke the associate and call them an idiot) and likely the face thing will work in your favor. I still think a little networking will make the task much easier. I also think that people who can prove a long-stay status (e.g. non-immigrant, marriage, etc) have a significantly larger advantage over those on visa exempt/tourist/transit visas. But, YMMSV, especially if you can network your way through.

---------

I recently opened an account at Krung Thai bank (light blue logo) in Chumphon. At first, the guy said that 'it is the policy of this bank to not open bank account for foreigner without work permit'. Then after a little coaxing and suggesting that it can be done with a non-immigrant visa (showing him non-imm visa in passport, passbooks from other banks, and my toddler dancing around me), he pulls out this large binder and flips to a page apparently covering the account opening procedures for the bank. It's in thai, but there was a section with several bullet points. The first point says in english 'Work Permit' and he points to it. The second point says 'Non-Immigrant' and I immediately point to that one and suggest that is the one to use. He inspects the visa in the passport and then he asks if I stay in thailand a long time. Then he proceeds to begin the account opening process. The only major difference of the last time I opened an account is that I was given a FATCA questionnaire and a w-9. He also took a copy of an post-paid internet bill which had my thai address on it. No physical SSN card was ever requested.

So about 70 minutes later, I had account, visa debit card (or I could have plain atm card for 280 baht), and internet banking all setup. And I did the first internet banking login right there on my smartphone using their NetBank app (KTB uses the same system for mobile and desktop internet banking). The interface is very clean and intuitive. He also setup the account daily limits for ATM, internet banking transfer, and card POS.

Important: when they show you the screen to double-check that your name is spelled correctly. Take the time to carefully check both slots that it is spelled correctly. They had put my last name first, which was inconsistent with the other banks. So I took the keyboard and corrected it. Also recommended that you sign the passbook and forms the same way you sign in your passport.

He would NOT let me view the policy binder again to take a photocopy of that page. He said that the policies were for that branch only. So it seems to reinforce that each branch [manager] has some discretionary power to process application.

And no account opening welcome gift. Are banks no longer offering any free bags, t-shirts, mugs, umbrellas etc for opening a new account?

Now I did have a friend who knew someone at one of the other branches, but I didn't have to call in that favor. Felt good to do it all by myself. But he admitted that he tends to only use the branches where he or his wife's family already knows people working there. Certain smaller transactions, he doesn't need his ID as the people are already familiar with him. And the branch is further away from his home; worth the drive in his opinion.

I remember opening accounts almost 5 years ago and i learned after having a problem with internet banking login [technical glitch on bank side] that I would always verify the internet banking was working as soon as possible. That means bringing the laptop/tablet/smartphone with you when you open the account or the following day. You don't want to leave anything up to chance later, especially if you have already left the country I've developed a checklist to make sure your acct is fully setup properly. When you walk out of the branch after opening the account:

1) immediately take your debit card to the branded ATM/CDM and do a test withdraw/deposit....or at least check the balance. Familiarize yourself with how the screens and menus are laid out. Make sure to use your body/palm to cover the other hand entering the pin #.

2) Add a payee or 3rd party acct to internet banking and mobile banking (if they are 2 separate systems like Bangkok Bank / Kasikorn bank) within 24 hours. Do one test spend or transfer to verify the OTP is setup properly.

3) Set/change your debit card purchase limits. Sometimes this can be done via phone automated prompts, via internet banking, or you must go to a branch and do it. Note that the ATM withdraw limit is separate from POS/debit card purchase limits. You can set POS limit to 0 in many cases, effectively making the card atm-only usage.

4) [not urgent] For debit card purchases online, setup the Verified by Visa (VbV) or MC SecureCode on your debit card. Most merchants accepting thai debit/credit cards will require its use in order to complete the purchase. If you are not enrolled you will be prompted to enroll and it might take you by surprise. But it is simply another OTP password setup....but it is separate system from your bank account / internet banking (still hosted by the bank issuer). The easiest place I know to do a test purchase is with mobile phone topup online AIS eService or the other carriers. There might be cheaper options.

5) [if leaving the country] have enough validity on the thai mobile number you used to open account. You may still need to use it to receive OTP SMS for certain features. Not too urgent, as you can get someone in-country to do topups if needed. Just try not to lose the sim card.

Oh, and avoid going to the branch right before they close. Allow yourself at least 1 hour prior have everything setup, especially the mall locations. For example, they might close at 19:00, but may be unable to issue a debit card after 18:00 or 18:30.

edit: There is a separate blog on the subject on TheThailandLife for bank account opening for foreigners.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

One Snag i got the other day when presenting my non imm visa the was the finish date on the actual visa was Sept 2014. I left the country and came back in towards the end of the visa giving me another 12 months. I showed the guy my arrival stamp and "stay until date" (2016) but he wouldn't have a bar of it. (Try explaining the complexities of an extension based on retitirement etc to someone like this)The stamp was done in hand and a rough initial. Finished the only way he would accept it was if I went to immigration, and have the official provide a letter, a copy of his I'D including his home address and personal phone number. Total dkhead and wasted 2 hours while he played a game all to hide his ignorance. Went to the next branch and sorted cheerfully in no time. I don't think people / service training figures highly in Thai businesses. I hope when I do get my extension they give me a new sticker or something in my passport. Gonna be a problem in the future for sure.

Edited by Kenny202

• 2 weeks later...

I open account no problem with bank Of Ayudhaya - Kasikokn Bang year ago2007/8 with just my passport Pattaya in in South Rd- I was on a 30 day tourist visa at the time - I tried to open a deposit account today but there were less accommodating and said I need paperwork from my condo to show I live there- and a different visa to me 6 month tourist visa.

Edited by The manic

• 4 weeks later...

i open my bank acc in bkk. any extra charges if i use the atm withdrawal in hat yai?

Yes, it would cost you 15 Baht because Bangkok and Hat Yai are in different regions (Hat Yai is in the provincial rather than metropolitan region that includes Bangkok).

Withdrawals at Bangkok Bank’s ATMs

1. If I withdraw cash from Bangkok Bank ATMs in a different region, what is the fee?

15 Bt

1. What is a “region”?

Bank of Thailand splits Thailand into two main categories – Metropolitan and Provincial. The Metropolitan region encompasses the greater Bangkok metropolitan area (Bangkok, Samut Prakarn, Nonthaburi, and Pathumthani), while the provincial regions encompass all other areas of Thailand.

Regions are considered from two viewpoints – that of where the account or card was opened, and secondly, that of where the ATM is located (where the transaction is being executed).

More info: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/FAQnew.aspx

Hi this is my experience with opening a savings bank account in Thailand.

Kasikorn, SCB i've tried some branches in BKK but not the MAIN.

all said need work permit and valid passport with valid visa.

I went and tried Bangkok Bank in Mega BangNa with only my passport. was told by staff need work permit. When I called in to

their customer svc, I was told all I need was a letter of recommendation and I can open it at any branch.

So I went straight to my Embassy which is Singapore Embassy and got the LOR in 15mins.

Went to the Bangkok Bank branch beside the Embassy at Sathorn South. Was told by the staff I need a work permit but I inform them I was told by the customer svc all I need was the LOR to which the branch manager said ok and ask for my proof of residence like utilities bill or lease agreement.

I said I dont have it cos the customer svc said all i need was the LOR and I could open it at any branch that was why i only got the LOR.

The branch manager said its the branch rules for all across Thailand and usually only the MAIN at SILOM would do it only with the passport and LOR and for the branches for Bangkok Bank they will accept LOR with Proof of residence(if you have no long-term visa) if no work permit.

I explain I was getting married to my gf and she was right beside me and yes I am planning to be long term in Thailand and am planning to get a marriage visa in thailand and I could only do that with a Thai Bank account with 400,000 baht in it f

and yes i could speak Thai fluently and I ask if they could make an exception for me cos the customer svc told me i could do it with only LOR at any branch. AT LAST the branch manager gave in and said she would make an exception for me.

So now I have a Bangkok Bank savings account with debit Card visa.

I also did ask Krungsri bank at Mega BangNa. They said if I didnt have my LOR from Embassy I could give them my proof of residence like lease agreement or Utilities bill or telephone bills with Thai address and they could try it for me and ask the MAIN branch for permission to open a savings account but if to be sure if I have LOR n Proof of Residence they will open it on the spot for me.

So from my experience I would advice if you only have a 30day visa like me with no work permit.

1.Go get a Letter of Recommendation

2. have a proof of residence ( lease agreement, utilities bill, phone/internet bills with thai address )

3. Call into Bangkok Bank or KrungSri Bank ask them for their requirements before you go to any branch.

My advice is to go to the Silom Main for Bangkok Bank with LOR and POR for easy opening of savings account. If they ask you why you want to open an account when you do not have a long term visa yet, just say you plan to stay here for long for business or marriage or anything else and you like to have a thai account for easy access of funds cos exchange rate and charges is too much to transfer in between banks, having a bank account in thailand would definitely save u alot of money.

I did not try to open for krungsri bank but from what i get when i talk to them in mega bangna i think they should be fairly flexible as well. u can also check krungsri their website for foreigners opening bank account. seems flexible too with only LOR n POR required.

Thanks and all the best for you opening an account in Thailand as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Bangkok Bank account for more than 2 years now and was given an ATM card that only works in their own machines.

I was told at the time that it would soon become universal but that doesn't seem to have happened.

It's only a minor inconvenience but I wondered if it had happened and I missed something.....

I've had a Bangkok Bank account for more than 2 years now and was given an ATM card that only works in their own machines.

I was told at the time that it would soon become universal but that doesn't seem to have happened.

It's only a minor inconvenience but I wondered if it had happened and I missed something.....

you got the atm card with the chip inside. You can go to the branch with your bankbook and request a new atm card. The one without the chip. Say 'tam-a-daa'. Hold up one from a different bank (which will not have the chip) and request it. It should take about 20 min.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about retiring to Thailand in the near future. I plan on getting a 90 day visa when I get there and then extending based on retirement.. How will I get a bank account if they ask for proof of residency. I plan on residing in a hotel for the first month and will need to get a bank account the first few days after I arrive to meet the conditions of a retirement extension.

I'm thinking about retiring to Thailand in the near future. I plan on getting a 90 day visa when I get there and then extending based on retirement.. How will I get a bank account if they ask for proof of residency. I plan on residing in a hotel for the first month and will need to get a bank account the first few days after I arrive to meet the conditions of a retirement extension.

You would go to your home country embassy to get a residency letter as they will not require you being in the country for 90 days/having done one 90 day address reporting like most Thai immigration offices will require.

Interesting KTB lists a Yellow Book. I got my Yellow Book within two weeks of arriving Thailand. I always show it when opening a bank account and have never been asked for a certificate of residence since I have the Yellow Book. In fact I've never been asked for a certificate of residence from anyone such as when getting my Thai drivers licenses, opening a bank account, filing a request for refund of fixed account interest withholding refund, etc., since I always show them my Yellow Book/give them a copy. The Yellow Book combined with my Retirement Extension of Stay has always made the banks and everyone else happy (knock on wood).

• Like 2

Interesting KTB lists a Yellow Book. I got my Yellow Book within two weeks of arriving Thailand. I always show it when opening a bank account and have never been asked for a certificate of residence since I have the Yellow Book. In fact I've never been asked for a certificate of residence from anyone such as when getting my Thai drivers licenses, opening a bank account, filing a request for refund of fixed account interest withholding refund, etc., since I always show them my Yellow Book/give them a copy. The Yellow Book combined with my Retirement Extension of Stay has always made the banks and everyone else happy (knock on wood).

If you look under point 1.1 it says or....or....or.... at all those requirements. So any of them will do. That's for "General Foreigner"

In your case, you are not a "General Foreigner", you have a retirement visa so according to that document the last point applies to you (bottom of the page -1.9) so no yellow book should be needed at all.

In theory.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

If you look under point 1.1 it says or....or....or.... at all those requirements. So any of them will do. That's for "General Foreigner"

In your case, you are not a "General Foreigner", you have a retirement visa so according to that document the last point applies to you (bottom of the page -1.9) so no yellow book should be needed at all.

In theory.

Yeap... agree. I didn't mean to imply a retirement/extension was also needed as people with just a 15/30 entry stamp are able to open accounts at "some" branches. The key always seems to come down to how the branch manager implements/interprets bank headquarters policy/guidance.

• Like 1

In theory.

Yeap... agree. I didn't mean to imply a retirement/extension was also needed as people with just a 15/30 entry stamp are able to open accounts at "some" branches. The key always seems to come down to how the branch manager implements/interprets bank headquarters policy/guidance.

Could be but I don't feel KTB is one of them anymore. They have a big piece of paper with something written in Thai in big letters, looks like a leaflet, and they kept showing me the date, 28 or 29 January 2016. New regulations. The guy said that last year he opened accounts for "international" clients (read tourists), but they just can't do it anymore (instructions from head office) unless you fall in one of the categories on the leaflet.

That's for KTB. It's not a big issue, I just wanted a second account for diversification, I already have Kbank, did show that bankbook to them (with a seven digit figure) but they did not seem interested. The vibe was: We are not Kasikorn we are KTB. Different bank different rules.

Edited by lkv

As of today/21 Feb 16, here's what the KTB website says regarding requirements to open an account.

http://www.ktb.co.th/ktb/(S(z5rfqq45gip2lh45yogqclbj))/en/product-detail-personal.aspx?product=VWKUkvZOXVQ0nTJjoRON4w%3d%3d

Required Documents

For Individuals

• Either one of these documents; ID card, Government Officer ID card, State Enterprise Personal ID card, or other Government Agency Official card with ID number, Passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or driving license with ID number
  • For minors: census registration with ID number or birth certificate or guardian’s documentation
  • For incompetent persons: ID card, certificate of incompetence or other official certificate issued by the government
  • For foreigners: Passport, alien certificate, work permit issued or endorsed by any credible organization or visa which is valid for at least 3 months
  • For international students: Passport and student certificate issued by school/college
  • For monks: ID card or monk certificate and a copy of census registration
  • Confused 1

Thing to do is to print out a Thai and English version of their website with the requirements and present those prints out to them in attempting to opening an account. Maybe even have them go to their webpage and read it real time if they don't want to read/believe the printed copy.

But to me, I wouldn't even try to open a KTB account as a foreigner as they seem to have very, very, very, very little interest in farang accounts. Plus they are a state-owned/controlled bank. My Thai wife has an account with them simply because she had to in order to get a monthly pension payment from the Thai govt.

You might want to give Krungsri Bank a try...specifically their Mee Tae Dai account. I've had a MTD account with them for over a year now and happy with them. I primarily deal with two of their branches here in Bangkok,...not much English capability at either branch but enough....and they truly seem to appreciate my business.

• Like 1

But to me, I wouldn't even try to open a KTB account as a foreigner as they seem to have very, very, very, very little interest in farang accounts.

I doubt it is company policy to treat foreigners as second-class customers, and my experience have been pretty good with KTB. Ive got my own account there with internet banking, referred two friends (to also get accounts on visa waiver stamps), gotten my foreign exchange letter for condo purchase, gotten a reference letter from the bank, etc.

But if you speak no Thai and have no-one to translate for you then I wouldnt be surprised if its an uphill battle.

Yea i believe a good idea is to go with the website printouts in both English and Thai and keep insisting (while smiling) until they make phone calls, speak to their manager and the manager clearly says no.

Anyways, not in a massive hurry now, but I will share more experiences over the coming weeks. :)

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2