Most Expat-friendly Sea Countries?

Malaysia? PH? What countries in Asia have the easiest Visa rules for expats? American expats and their Thai family in particular?

The most expat friendly country in Southeast Asia is Cambodia.

Thailand is the least expat friendly country in the region (and growing worse each day).

The other countries, excluding Myanmar, are somewhere in between.

Malaysia? PH? What countries in Asia have the easiest Visa rules for expats? American expats and their Thai family in particular?

The most expat friendly country in Southeast Asia is Cambodia.

Thailand is the least expat friendly country in the region (and growing worse each day).

The other countries, excluding Myanmar, are somewhere in between.

mm.. i guess i'd also like to factor in the most livable... i love Cambo but I couldn't imagine living there with a family used to metro-BKK amenities :o

If you're part and parcel of a Thai group of people, then Thailand is probably your best bet.

Generally, Thais don't adapt well, particularly with other SE Asian folks, as there is often internecine stuff going on between every group - one group feeling superior to another group for various reasons: skin color, some pillaging horde from centuries ago, you name it. Your people already speak Thai and know the lay of the land here. I'd say find a part of Thailand which has the best to offer - according to your parameters.

After re-reading the OP, it sounds as though he might have a serious visa challenge for Thailand. If that's an insurmountable obstacle, then perhaps ease of visa becomes priority #1.

If you're part and parcel of a Thai group of people, then Thailand is probably your best bet.

Generally, Thais don't adapt well, particularly with other SE Asian folks, as there is often internecine stuff going on between every group - one group feeling superior to another group for various reasons: skin color, some pillaging horde from centuries ago, you name it. Your people already speak Thai and know the lay of the land here. I'd say find a part of Thailand which has the best to offer - according to your parameters.

After re-reading the OP, it sounds as though he might have a serious visa challenge for Thailand. If that's an insurmountable obstacle, then perhaps ease of visa becomes priority #1.

You modified your question..........so let me try again:

In terms of visas, Cambodia wins by a long shot..........followed by the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam..........Thailand is at the bottom and getting worse (very expat unfriendly......also now tourism unfriendly)

In terms of a quality urban lifestyle, Singapore wins followed by KL/Penang in Malaysia.......both Bangkok (does have a lot of Western amenities) and Manilla are cesspools and dangerous in terms of air quality..........Cambodia is only now seeing a lot of growth in PP..........not sure about large cities in Vietnam

I can't see a visa problem for the OP. His Thai family does not a need a visa. They should have Thai passports. If they have given up their citizenship they can still get a visa/extension of stay without a problem.

For him he can get a visa to enter without a problem. Then get an extension of stay with a small amount of income or money in the bank.

• 1 month later...

In terms of visas, Cambodia wins by a long shot..........followed by the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam..........Thailand is at the bottom and getting worse (very expat unfriendly......also now tourism unfriendly)

In terms of a quality urban lifestyle, Singapore wins followed by KL/Penang in Malaysia.......both Bangkok (does have a lot of Western amenities) and Manilla are cesspools and dangerous in terms of air quality..........Cambodia is only now seeing a lot of growth in PP..........not sure about large cities in Vietnam

Cambodia @ PP . . does it have any alt. to Tesco Lotus ? ., I meant if you whant to live there you whant to buy some international food and so on . . .

Cambodia @ PP . . does it have any alt. to Tesco Lotus ? ., I meant if you whant to live there you whant to buy some international food and so on . . .

I think the Philippines has nearly everything an Expat would want. Firstly they want YOU to come and live there. 1 year visa's are no problem. Western style shopping malls are in most major cities/ large towns , food selection and clothes are huge , possibly more so than anywhere else in SE Asia.

Pollution is bad in Manilla but on my visits, not only Manilla but EVERYWHERE I went , it was SAFE. I had no issues with anyone and didnt hear of any foreigner having problems with the locals but I am sure someone somewhere can tell a story or 2. English is spoken there which is a huge bonus along with shop signs and road signs in English also .

Cambodia is ok , it doesnt have the infrastructure so much as some other countries but they have been through alot and within a few years it will on par with their neighbours. As for food, markets are ok, not too much western stuff but enough western fare restaurants about .

Malaysia is also opening doors taking in long stayers and in places like Penang and KL , you can get most things if you know where to look.

Vietnam , to me is possibly not as good as the previous places mentioned. I didnt see too much western food etc and the people were no where near as friendly as I thought they would be. I thinkthey still have huge chip on their shoulders from the war. Who can blame them and hopefully one day we will be welcome there - genuinly.Its a great country to visit.

There are enough Thai women married to foreigners who have moved back with their wives and families to Europe and the USA etc, so I dont think it would be too much of a problem if you moves to another SE Asian country as long as they can speak a little English.

Edited by sunholidaysun1