How Many Leeks Per Rai ?

Does anyone know what the minimum and maximum yield of leeks(kilos) per 1 rai of land using a very good fertlizer .

Growing leeks in THAILAND!!!!!!!!!!?????????? I questioned my wife on this matter and included in her reply were words like baah & ting tong, i'm no expert but i don't think leeks are an asian crop, from my experiance leeks are harvested during the winter months in the UK and benefit from a good frost. Maybe i've got it all wrong??

Does anyone know what the minimum and maximum yield of leeks(kilos) per 1 rai of land using a very good fertlizer .

Growing leeks in THAILAND!!!!!!!!!!?????????? I questioned my wife on this matter and included in her reply were words like baah & ting tong, i'm no expert but i don't think leeks are an asian crop, from my experiance leeks are harvested during the winter months in the UK and benefit from a good frost. Maybe i've got it all wrong??

The leek (Allium ampeloprasum var. porrum, otherwise known as A. porrum) belongs to the Lily family and is thought to be native to Central Asia, though it can withstand colder weather and flourishes in the British Isles and northern Europe

"Many farmers who once grew land-consuming crops like corn and cabbage have now switched to temperate-zone species that take up less space and ensure a more stable income. With technical assistance from the Royal Project, hilltribes have become expert cultivators of temperate-zone vegetables like baby carrot, leek, sugar pea, zucchini, and sweet pepper; herbs like rosemary and oregano; flowers like red roses, chrysanthemum, gladiolus, gypsophila, aster, etc; and fruits like strawberries, pears, and peaches Ñ crops their forefathers never heard of." Taken from an article in the Bangkok Post. 

I've seen seed of " ton gratiam jin" for sale here in Chiang Rai myself, so Cogan it might pay to do a bit of research rather than just relying on the missus before posting here on TV insinuating people are mad or crazy :o .

cheers Jandtaa

Hello berryloei, I can buy Thai grown leeks here in Korat, they are on the small size by US/EU grown leeks.

From what I can remember, rows 16-8" on center, 6" between plants.(after thinning) If you can come up with an average weight per leek(LOS grown), you should come up with a good guesstamation.

Will check size/weight when I go to town this afternoon and give you some numbers.

rice555

Please accept my apologies Barryloei, that will teach me not to jump to conclusions!! my wife uses leeks in various thai & lao soups which seems to go down well with all her friends . If you can grow on a commercial basis with good results you might be onto a winner, all the best.

Hello berryloei, first off I didn't have my Thai translation hardware with me but, this was from The Mall Hyper Mart.

Trimmed-cleaned leeks, Bt.155.@kg, 3 per bag, Bt.49- 58 per bag, in the OG food section.

The leeks were around 10-Bt. coin size or a little larger, 1/2-2/3 western size leeks. The white, was 8"-10" to the flags, very straight with a hint of bulb at the root end.

I'm no expert on leeks, but with this size leek at 6" between, gross weight per 1.3 meter could be around 1kg for a balkpark number, +/- 300grms for high/low figuring.

Cleaning and trimming is labor intensive.

rice555

Hello barryloei, as I said I'm not an expert on leeks, after double checking and came across these links, and I now why the leeks are smaller here. The yield weight from from Western US.

rice555

Leeks, elephant (or great-headed) garlic, and kurrat are closely related. Three types of leeks can be recognized by their morphological characteristics:

The European leek which develops a short, thick pseudostem.

The Turkish leek which develops a relatively long and thin pseudostem.

The Kurrat, which does not produce a pseudostem and is grown around the Mediterranean and in the middle east for its leaves. These leaves can be harvested several times a year.

Leeks are widely adapted, reportedly grown from Cuba to Norway. They are grown most commonly from seed, but may be propagated from topsets in the flower umbel, from bulbils in the basal plate, or from bulbs formed after the plant flowers. Varieties have been developed for resistance to cold and a wide range of winter hardiness is available. Winter hardiness is strongly correlated to a short pseudostem.

HARVESTING AND HANDLING

Leek yields are approximately 370 cwt/acre. Leeks do not bulb or go dormant in the fall but continue to grow slowly. The time of harvest is, therefore, very flexible, depending on the time of planting, market conditions, and variety of leek planted. Small leeks can be sold starting in early August, and varieties that have frost tolerance may be harvested throughout the fall and winter months.

Machine harvest of leeks is now possible, but most leeks are lifted or dug by machine and then harvested, cleaned, and packed by hand.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/91-004.htm

http://hort-devel-nwrec.hort.oregonstate.edu/leek.html