The Curious Case Of The Splitting Lychees

getgoin

I have about 50-60 lychee trees that are about 25-30 years old, about 12 meters high. They are not the big juicy red type with small seeds but the big seeded small fruit light red and green kind. A lot of the fruit splits and just pops out by itself. They have a lot of fruit.

I have begun to cut them back and am wondering if I water and fertilize and keep them pruned will the fruit improve? I can not believe that someone would have left this grove for 25+ years if it never gave good fruit.

They question is, can I get good fruit and if not what have they been thinking?

Hi getgoin,

Not sure if your lychees are the same variety as ours, the folowing site might help confirm this,

The age 25/30 years is no problem, but fruit bats,birds,& fruit piercing moths could be cause of splitting, once the shell is broken, the ants are in!! ours have only a small problem this year, with splitting and brown patches, mrs says when they relied on the farm to live, once the green fruit had formed, they would net the tree to keep off sugar seekers.

http://www.pakissan.com/english/advisory/g....datepalm.shtml

Cheers, Lickey..

I have about 50-60 lychee trees that are about 25-30 years old, about 12 meters high. They are not the big juicy red type with small seeds but the big seeded small fruit light red and green kind. A lot of the fruit splits and just pops out by itself. They have a lot of fruit.

I have begun to cut them back and am wondering if I water and fertilize and keep them pruned will the fruit improve? I can not believe that someone would have left this grove for 25+ years if it never gave good fruit.

They question is, can I get good fruit and if not what have they been thinking?

Hi Getgoin,

Usually the reason for fruits splitting (not just lychees but other fruits too) is when a dry spell is followed by a wet spell during fruit development. The sudden increase in water availability causes the inside of the fruit to quickly expand and burst the skin. The solution is to ensure that your soil doesn't dry out too much during fruit development - usually by irrigating, but mulching could also help.

Best regards,

JB