Visiting Pai, Need Advice

sunny747

hi all, 12 of us going to hire a van and drive to Pai via CM this weekend.

I have been to CM alone few times and never felt unsafe.

But i heard Pai is not that safe for foreigners. Is there any police problems? We won't be drinking or drugs or partying. Just a visit to nature.

any tips or tricks, advice highly appreciable.

thanks.

It is worth the trip for the drive alone. Just make sure your Thai driver understands YOU ARE NOT IN A HURRY! The road over the mountain is VERY twisty with hundreds of blind corners. THERE IS NO NEED TO PASS EVERYONE! I've seen many crazy Thai van drivers passing people on blind corners where there is no shoulder to escape to when meeting on coming traffic. And extra hour for the trip beats having a potentially fatal accident.

I was there at the height of the tourist season and still had no trouble finding a place to stay. It's basically a sleepy little town with a pretty stream running through it. There are lots of back packer hippy types staying in little resorts along the river. Night life is minimal, but it fits into the laid back life style there. Food stalls are similar to other places in Thailand.

Like anywhere, you can get into trouble if you get drunk and act stupid. I've never felt unsafe when traveling anywhere in Thailand. That is more than I can say for the Philippines. But then I don't get drunk and flash money and gold jewelry around either. I DO feel safe packing my expensive SLR camera around in Thailand, which is more than I can say for the Philippines.

But i heard Pai is not that safe for foreigners. Is there any police problems? We won't be drinking or drugs or partying. Just a visit to nature.

thanks.

I have been everywhere in Thailand and Pai is the biggest rip off of any of the villages I visited. 65 baht for a small cup of hot chocolate. Walking street is a joke. Save your money

thanks.

I have been everywhere in Thailand and Pai is the biggest rip off of any of the villages I visited. 65 baht for a small cup of hot chocolate. Walking street is a joke. Save your money

You have been everywhere in Thailand? Bullshit!!! :o

thanks.

You have been everywhere in Thailand? Bullshit!!! :o

I dont want this to become a habit Ajarn but once again I am compelled to agree with you :D

Look, it is what it is.

Some statements, various people will find some of them correct:

- In essence Pai itself as a town was no different from any other Northern district town.

- It is in a VERY beautiful valley, and because of this has a feeling of relative remoteness

- Unlike similar towns, Pai became a very hot backpacker destination, mostly to just 'chill', and because staying there was near-free at the time. :D

- More and more people came, and the place now caters also to more up-market tourists, and Thai tourists.

- It's still an amazing sight.. You're still basically in the middle of nowhere but you suddenly have fancy foreign foods,

baguetts & croissants, good coffee, etc, etc. To Thai tourists especially it's amazing to suddenly hit a 'Farang' hotspot, as if

they were dumped there by a UFO. :o

- There is now a wide range of accommodation options, some cheap, some distincly more high-end.

- The area is still as beautiful as ever.

So, if the 'Farang ghetto' is not your thing then at least appreciate the variety of accommodation and breakfast options as well as nighlife options (live music, etc), and explore the area during the day. Or, don't stay in Pai itself but continue to places like Soppong et al.

Overall it's a great trip. But as been said before, be VERY careful on the roads, especially if it rains. You didn't say if you would hire a driver as well or just rent a van, but either way make sure you drive carefully.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

From what I have heard, in the past, Pai was well known for easy access to drugs which is what drew many of the hippy types. However, several years ago, the police started doing random drug tests on tourists and residents and drove many of them out.

Also, a famous Thai movie was shot in Pai and so it has become very popular for weekend visits by Thais who fill the whole place up and not so many foreigners go there anymore.

thanks guys. that's the deal. we are hiring a van from Bangkok. Till CM i'll have driver then to Pai, one of my friend will drive as he has experience driving in this condition. i won't let a Thai driver taking us up in the hill. The van is totally new.

we are not going there for night life. We will stay clean by not drinking. Just want to enjoy the nature and if we get chance, mingle with the villagers.

we have a good budget but may not spend much on accommodation. rather we want spend on sight seeing and other offers.

so what is the most lucrative things to see there?

thanks again.

we are not going there for night life. We will stay clean by not drinking. Just want to enjoy the nature and if we get chance, mingle with the villagers.

we have a good budget but may not spend much on accommodation. rather we want spend on sight seeing and other offers.

Very good, and stick to your plan. Whatever you do, don't mess with the armed, off duty and drunken police, as they might pull a "Leo Del Pinto" on you.

Here's a new twist obviously due to the current world concerns. A large group (14 bikes) of Thai and Foreign motorcyclists decided to do a quick run to Pai for lunch and then straight back to Chiang Mai today.

We had pretty much strung out into separate groups, and some singles, riding at different speeds. At the police checkpoint, about 20km before Pai, my group of falangs was flagged to a stop by police wearing masks over their mouth and nose.

I was greeted by a very polite young Thai cop, who said "Hello, where do you come from?" I told him Chiang Mai and he said "No, I mean America, England,......?" To make a long story short, he asked if we had anyone from Mexico in our groups or if we had contact with any Mexican friends. After I assured him that we all lived in Chiang Mai and had not been out of the country recently we were sent on our way. I can't help but wonder what the next step would have been if we had "Yes, I just came from Mexico".

Not everyone one was stopped. It appeared the Thai's were not questioned. This is not a complaint in anyway, but just a heads up for what may become more common in more areas over the coming days or weeks. :o

thanks guys. that's the deal. we are hiring a van from Bangkok. Till CM i'll have driver then to Pai, one of my friend will drive as he has experience driving in this condition. i won't let a Thai driver taking us up in the hill. The van is totally new.

thanks again.

Sounds like you could enjoy visiting the Good Life Herbal Restaurant. Just an amazing place. Try some wheatgrass juice, or kombucha, or one of about 40 different cups of tea. The food is outstanding too.

Search out some walks, they are a paradise for nature-lovers. One of them: go out of town and over the main bridge. Just after the sign for the swimming pool you can turn left on a corner towards the Farmer Home guest house. Just keep walking as far as you like. Four hours or so will get you to a waterfall, but even just half an hour will be great food for your soul after bangkok!

Hire some bicycles and carry on on the same road and eventually you'll come to the main road between pai and chiang mai. Do the circuit, it'll break your legs, but feed your soul. In fact, just get out walking and cycling and you'll love the place. Every time i go there i try to imagine bangkok...

was greeted by a very polite young Thai cop, who said "Hello, where do you come from?" I told him Chiang Mai and he said "No, I mean America, England,......?" To make a long story short, he asked if we had anyone from Mexico in our groups or if we had contact with any Mexican friends. After I assured him that we all lived in Chiang Mai and had not been out of the country recently we were sent on our way. I can't help but wonder what the next step would have been if we had "Yes, I just came from Mexico".

Poor Mexico. So far from God and so close to ... Thailand ... ???

That is one of the more bizarre stories I have heard. How many Mexican tourists come to Thailand, especially bikers, do you reckon?

Pai usually has decent live music at night. Some local as well as passing musicians are well worth catching.

The main music venues in town are Phu Pai (a relatively small wooden house cafe off one of the main streets) and Be-Bop (near the entrance to the town coming from Chiang Mai).

There are various hilltribe and Chinese villages to check out in the hills around town, as well as hot springs (if they've waived the fee might be worth going, but not worth the regular foreigner entrance fee in my opinion) a few waterfalls where you can swim, and the "Pai Canyon" which is not bad just before sunset.

From what I have heard, in the past, Pai was well known for easy access to drugs which is what drew many of the hippy types. However, several years ago, the police started doing random drug tests on tourists and residents and drove many of them out.

Also, a famous Thai movie was shot in Pai and so it has become very popular for weekend visits by Thais who fill the whole place up and not so many foreigners go there anymore.

Spot on Ulysses G, I was in Pai for a few days at the start of the year and it was very low on farang tourists, while very high on Thai/Asian tourists. The Thai G/F also mentioned that a movie was shot there, and said it had put Pai very much 'on the map' again for Thai tourists.

I found everything overpriced and the food situation was not that great.

It's a tourist town and the prices are a little inflated, but not even remotely as much as they are in some places in the south.

There are indeed a number of mediocre places, but the food situation is not that bad if you know where to go.

Amido's pizza place makes the best pizzas I have had in Thailand. P' Bia's place near the traffic lights in the middle of town serves very decent standard Thai food as well.

There's dirt cheap real northern Thai food at the town market too, if that's what you're looking for. Personally I've never been a big fan of the food that Northern Thais actually eat (the stuff they sell as Northern Thai food to tourists is alright though) because there's too much pla ra and chilli in the soups and not much else, most things are served cold or lukewarm, none of the dishes have lean meat and pork is preferred over chicken, etc.

But if that is your thing then it's easy to get.

Rooms are probably overly expensive, but there are some cheap Muslim places with brown rice, veggies and healthy food and at night, some delicious, specialty Thai foods being sold from carts.

I agree about Amido's pizza place being really good.

Edited by Ulysses G.

thanks.

You have been everywhere in Thailand? Bullshit!!! :)

Ajarn, why do you have to be so aggresive, chill man ! how do you know the poster hasn't been everywhere in Thailand ?

thanks.

You have been everywhere in Thailand? Bullshit!!! :D

Ajarn, why do you have to be so aggresive, chill man ! how do you know the poster hasn't been everywhere in Thailand ?

Because he knows it all? :)

I've been to Pai 6 years ago the last time,nice experience!What i heard from travellers it's very different now,but in the low season must be quiet enough to enjoy the wonderful nature around.I recommend a visit to Soppong,a small village on the way to Mae Hong Son,there is a very interesting huge cave.Just watch the weather,perhaps ask advice to some local guide,as caves can be deadly traps in the rainy season.

I found everything overpriced and the food situation was not that great.

It's a tourist town and the prices are a little inflated, but not even remotely as much as they are in some places in the south.

There are indeed a number of mediocre places, but the food situation is not that bad if you know where to go.

Amido's pizza place makes the best pizzas I have had in Thailand. P' Bia's place near the traffic lights in the middle of town serves very decent standard Thai food as well.

Amidos pizza is average.... however his steak and lamb chops is equivalent to a fancy french restaurant and the best I have ever had in asia

the best pizza (or calazone/faggotini) IMHO is Christinas on the front side of the river

Nong beers by the traffic light used to be the best thai food in town, but since they got so popular with the BKK aliens, they stopped cooking and just slop out pre-made cafeteria trays full of MSG. :)

now the two best places for thai food IMHO are Charlie and Leks which is in between the Other traffic light and the po-lice station and

some no name local resturant in a big dumpy 3 story shop house on the left about 1/3 km out of town on the way to the airport.

if you want to spend a little more, ban benjarong near to bebop is fancy and expensive and tasty thai food

I've been to Pai 6 years ago the last time,nice experience!What i heard from travellers it's very different now,but in the low season must be quiet enough to enjoy the wonderful nature around.I recommend a visit to Soppong,a small village on the way to Mae Hong Son,there is a very interesting huge cave.Just watch the weather,perhaps ask advice to some local guide,as caves can be deadly traps in the rainy season.

Just shows you have to take what travellers say with a heavy pinch of subjective salt! I've been going since 2002 and, yeah, there's a few more places opened to stay, more concrete style, but the basic place and why people go there is pretty much unchanged.

Having said that, i recall some mighty fine nights when the bebop was at its old place near the hospital!

thanks again.

So no girls, no drinking, no drugs and cheap accommodation. Sounds like a grand tea party for a bunch of monks.

May as well stay home, save yourself the expense and all the hassle of travelling over those dangerous mountain roads.

If you like nature, for only 1000 baht each, I can give you a tour of my home.

See the splendours of my exotic fish bowls filled with all kinds of guppies, the wife cooking in her natural habitat and the traditional neighbour domestic rubbish burning ceremonies that takes place every night at 8.00.

Edited by sassienie

My wife has a long time pal there & she has guest cottages.

We went & visited a year or so ago. Aside from the nice mountain drive

I cannot say there is anything to see there. Like others have said there are/were a few good night spots.

Drugs were pretty rampant although maybe less now as I have heard from a pal who went during

Songkron it is dead there now. Not to say all the drugs were from Farangs.

But other than that I would not expect too much if like you say you want to see *lucrative* things?

There was one cool thing though & that was a recreation of a Chinese village. It was quite large & takes

awhile to check it all out. That was cool & set up as years ago..Huts mud floors etc.

Had some old style shops too with some nice things.

If you run out of things to do, you could go around town & get your photo taken outside every coffee shop in town.

Making a V-sign next to your face is mandatory while having the photo taken.

Failure to do so will result in being shot by a drunken policeman.

One of the advantages of visiting now is that you wont have to que up for an hour to do it.

Progress, isn't it great.