So Is Pattaya Now Ignoring The Indoor Smoking Ban?

Tokay

I've noticed an increasing amount of restaurants and closed bars that have put the ash trays back on the tables and are allowing smoking throughout the premises. :o

Guess I didn't get the memo.

davethailand.

Did anyone one ever really follow the ban?

Yes .... in chiang mai , most bars did , but like Tokay says you seem to be able smoke in many chiang mai bars now.

obviously pattayas getting the the same !

Law ? ... what law ? ...... where ? ...... Nahhhh : )

dave2

I've stopped eating at one of my favourite restaurants, Swiss Food on Soi Diamond. To begin with, they did observe the ban, and the restaurant was much better for it. Now though, they not only ignore it completely, but one of the owners has taken to smoking a gigantic corona cigar IN the restaurant, sometimes accompanied by one of his teutonic mates. It's one thing having to put up with cigarette smoke when I'm eating a steak, but quite another to have to put up with what smells to me like the stench from a sewage works emanating from his cigar. I used to eat here 3 or 4 times a week, so I assume they will miss me when the low season kicks in. Stupidity and ignorance on the part of the owners, IMHO. :o

I've stopped eating at one of my favourite restaurants, Swiss Food on Soi Diamond. To begin with, they did observe the ban, and the restaurant was much better for it. Now though, they not only ignore it completely, but one of the owners has taken to smoking a gigantic corona cigar IN the restaurant, sometimes accompanied by one of his teutonic mates. It's one thing having to put up with cigarette smoke when I'm eating a steak, but quite another to have to put up with what smells to me like the stench from a sewage works emanating from his cigar. I used to eat here 3 or 4 times a week, so I assume they will miss me when the low season kicks in. Stupidity and ignorance on the part of the owners, IMHO. :o

Wrote about that place before the ban was enforced (without naming it), had a no smoking sign above the door, but a smoker only had to reach for their pocket an the waiter would be there with a ashtray an lighter in hand quicker than you could sat "Jack Robinson".

It is a pity because the food was nice, but the tables were cramped and when anyone lighted up it was basically right in your face, did not help matters with the owner sitting on a high bar stool at the bar smoking like the "chimneys of hel_l".

I stopped going there a long time ago, just too many times smokers ruined my meals, I do hope he gets busted even thought 20K is little compensation to the non smokers who have had their meals ruined by smokers.

I've stopped eating at a few of my favorite places as well since I've noticed they are allowing smoking again. It's just not something I like to go with my meal.

Smoking in bars I understand, but at LEAST can you please step outside to smoke after you eat or while you're waiting on your food. Thank you.

I really like the food at Swiss Food on Soi Diamond and when anyone came to town and wanted a good meal I would take them there

The operative word is WOULD, not anymore

If people want to smoke they could get a table outside but why should they when the owner(s) blatantly violates the law :o

But I am sure he is one of those whining about "slow" business

Did anyone one ever really follow the ban?

:D

For a short period I could at least eat without having someone blow smoke in my face. That was nice.

:o Now you just have to get used to Thais blowing smoke up your ass.

I've noticed an increasing amount of restaurants and closed bars that have put the ash trays back on the tables and are allowing smoking throughout the premises. :o

In bars this is what I would hope would happen and is happening :D

Been out with the boys to a few places, hardly anyone there. Out came the smokes, then followed the ashtrays provided by the bar staff and we all lit up :D

A good night was had by all.

Edited by JimsKnight

Why can't they just go outside and smoke ? The height of ignorance and selfishness... Maybe someone could invent a big plastic bubble smokers could wear on their heads.. they could ruin their health without bothering others then.. Smoking is a major cause of impotence and erectile disfunction.. keep puffing and pretty soon you won't be able to enjoy Pattaya anyhow..

I was in the Butchers arms soi bukaow eating when two men came in sat at the bar and lit up imediatley.10 mins later a couple eating on the next table lit up whilst still eating the selfish pricks. I asked one of the stewardesses why they were smoking and she just looked at me blank, Shame on you all there i wont be going back in a hurry!!!!! :D:D:D:D:):D:D

I've noticed an increasing amount of restaurants and closed bars that have put the ash trays back on the tables and are allowing smoking throughout the premises. :D

Been out with the boys to a few places, hardly anyone there. Out came the smokes, then followed the ashtrays provided by the bar staff and we all lit up :D

^ Must have been a wildly enjoyable night out! :D

A bunch of guys getting together to inhale noxious fumes and look cancer, heart disease and respiratory illnesses, impotence, ulcers and fertility problems straight in the face and just go for it, giving no concern for the staff and anyone else in the vicinity who got to enjoy the second hand smoke! :)

Selfish? - hel_l no - you "enjoy" yourselves lads. :D

Maybe these bars with ashtrays could set up separate tables so people can enjoy smoking Ya ba, crack cocaine etc? :D

I've noticed an increasing amount of restaurants and closed bars that have put the ash trays back on the tables and are allowing smoking throughout the premises. :D

A bunch of guys getting together to inhale noxious fumes and look cancer, heart disease and respiratory illnesses, impotence, ulcers and fertility problems straight in the face and just go for it, giving no concern for the staff and anyone else in the vicinity who got to enjoy the second hand smoke! :)

Maybe these bars with ashtrays could set up separate tables so people can enjoy smoking Ya ba, crack cocaine etc? :D

When all the smokers die, the collective IQ of the world will increase significantly. Too bad their lack of consideration will take others with them.

I've stopped eating at one of my favourite restaurants, Swiss Food on Soi Diamond. To begin with, they did observe the ban, and the restaurant was much better for it. Now though, they not only ignore it completely, but one of the owners has taken to smoking a gigantic corona cigar IN the restaurant, sometimes accompanied by one of his teutonic mates. It's one thing having to put up with cigarette smoke when I'm eating a steak, but quite another to have to put up with what smells to me like the stench from a sewage works emanating from his cigar. I used to eat here 3 or 4 times a week, so I assume they will miss me when the low season kicks in. Stupidity and ignorance on the part of the owners, IMHO. :)

Cigarette and cigar smokers eat out allot too you know...maybe more money to be made from them than girly non-smoking men.

I've stopped eating at one of my favourite restaurants, Swiss Food on Soi Diamond. To begin with, they did observe the ban, and the restaurant was much better for it. Now though, they not only ignore it completely, but one of the owners has taken to smoking a gigantic corona cigar IN the restaurant, sometimes accompanied by one of his teutonic mates. It's one thing having to put up with cigarette smoke when I'm eating a steak, but quite another to have to put up with what smells to me like the stench from a sewage works emanating from his cigar. I used to eat here 3 or 4 times a week, so I assume they will miss me when the low season kicks in. Stupidity and ignorance on the part of the owners, IMHO. :)

I think this place is one of the best deals in pattaya for the quality. good prices, good food, good service, free good buffet with meal but yep, they need to cut out the smoking

Just for clarification as there are 2 Swiss restaurants in Sio Diamond, The one in question is opposite the Windmill Club, the other near the entrance from Second Rd which converted half the restaurant to "Open Air" a few years ago for smokers and the owner sits out side to smoke.

Years ago I remember having a few bad experiences at the Ruin Thai which is open air where the enjoyment and food was ruined by smokers, so last year when I visited and was greeted at the entrance I enquired if they had a no smoking section, the girl must have got me wrong as her reply was if I wanted to smoke I could come out side to do so. :)

I agree with many of the comments that the law on smoking is to much, and would agree more to restaurants and bars having to provide at least 50% non smoking tables as long as they can provide adequate ventilation and separation from smokers, but why bother when the current law is not enforced.

Cigarette and cigar smokers eat out allot too you know...maybe more money to be made from them than girly non-smoking men.

Yeah right, far more smokers than non smokers in the world, and smokers are much smarter , and they smell better, and live longer. Wanna buy a bridge from me????

So speaks the puritan man, we had a great night actually, no boring squares or braindead controlled types who somehow equate smoking to ya ba and crack cocaine either! :D

Cheers :P

I've noticed an increasing amount of restaurants and closed bars that have put the ash trays back on the tables and are allowing smoking throughout the premises. :)

The smoking ban was more a publicity stunt than anything else for Thailand, as many countries around the world started to pass the no smoking in public law Thailand had to be seen to do the same to keep up with the Jones's so to speak.

There were already no smoking in public places such as shopping malls, cinemas, public transport, etc, etc. This is still the case, it's only that the law has been passed that it's bought attention to the matter.

How can someone define the no smoking in a public place when that should also include roads, pavements, parks, pretty much anywhere outside your front door! and being that "This Is Thailand" whos going to enforce this on the smokers?

Rules are rules and in Thailand the rules are made to be brocken.

Thats just the way it is, take it or leave it!