No More Rainy Seasons In Phuket?

geoffphuket

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how single, male tourists are much maligned these days.

After all, they were the group that put Phuket on the map.

Not maligning them, but also don't think they really 'put Phuket on the map'. More a case of evolving market conditions and Thai liberalism I think, and the premise that where there's a buyer, there's a seller. What I'm really pointing at is that in the broader context, the tourist market in Phuket needs to re-evaluate itself. If the way it really wants to go is the expansion of low end, low (???) cost, high density developments (similar to Benidorm in Spain) are what's really wanted, then be honest about it. The problem that I see with that philosophy, is that anyone can re-create that anywhere. It's always good to have a choice, but Phuket needs to establish what choice it's offering to visitors.

The problem with that or any philosophy, is that it requires forethought, planning, and regulation.. none of which are in excess supply here. So we will continue to have pig farms next to 5 star developments, all night karaoke next to residential developments and hookers on the doorstep (and in the swimming pools) of 'family resorts'.. As long as the free for all money grab continues unabated this will continue to effect both ends of the market.

As to the 'single male traveller' (such a loaded description :) ) they certainly were (and are still) a major contributor to the islands initial success.. Like it or loathe it, its happened and will continue to.. Until Thailand changes not the visitor. Does Thailand want to make the sacrifices to change ?? is it capable of doing so ?? All debatable.

There is an article in the Bangkok Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...s-far-from-over which is about job losses in America. The same rationale can apply to Phuket & indeed the whole of Thailand. If any promotion or scheme can help to save job losses then it is well worthwhile based on all the negative consequences which are well summarised in the article.

There is an article in the Bangkok Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...s-far-from-over which is about job losses in America. The same rationale can apply to Phuket & indeed the whole of Thailand. If any promotion or scheme can help to save job losses then it is well worthwhile based on all the negative consequences which are well summarised in the article.

So tricking people into coming on their "summer" holiday to a place where it'll be raining quite often and the west coast beaches are too dangerous for swimming, is all OK with you?

Do you have a tourism related business here?

I would say that most of the regular posters on the Phuket sub-forum either work for, or, own some kind of a business here, mostly tourist related (directly, or, indirectly).

Objectivity is in short supply.

Self-interest isn't.

Edited by Sir Burr

So tricking people into coming on their "summer" holiday to a place where it'll be raining quite often and the west coast beaches are too dangerous for swimming, is all OK with you?

Do you have a tourism related business here?

I do not have a tourist related business here but I do have a business which is effected by the worldwide recession & so right now I have a good feel for what it is like to have little or no money coming in while trying to provide for my family & I can tell you unequivocally the heartache this causes. This is why it is so tragic that so many have lost & will continue to lose their jobs which has a huge impact on society as a whole.

As other posters have stated we are in the northern hemisphere & officially it is summer which is many things to many places including rainy days. I agree that west coast beaches can be dangerous during this time but not more than a myriad of beaches around the world where thousands swim everyday & some get into trouble because they ignore signs posted by lifeguards. Maybe the website has a different meaning to you http://www.summerinphuket.com but I do not see any attempt to deceive.

I would love to have a job working on rotation (as Sir Burr does & if he has any possible contacts I would welcome a PM) & believe me I am trying. I even put my hand up for work in Southern Iraq which I really have no desire to go to for obvious reasons. If I did have a well paying job or be finacially well off I would still support any initiative to help keep people in their jobs.

In my situation it is hard to be truly objective but I am certainly not cynical & I hope this thread can come up with some positive ideas.

Summer season is fine if people read the web-site, but, that's not going to happen.

Witness Don's already calling his breakfast special "summer" season without a link, or, referral to the website.

If tours and hotels just start swapping the word rainy, green, or low season with the word "summer", then this is less than honest.

For tourists from the "northern hemisphere", summer means fine weather, no rain and if there are beaches involved, swimming, too.

Anyway, there is really no point going on about this subject as this campaign is going to bring the same amount of extra tourists here as the new cocktail that was invented for the very same purpose.

Tourists aren't dumb, most of them will use Google to get a few facts first. Wouldn't be good if they thought the campagn was dishonest, now would it? They may actually change their mind about coming.

For tourists from the "northern hemisphere", summer means fine weather, no rain and if there are beaches involved, swimming, too.

Northern hemisphere countries are known for rainy spells during their summer season. At least Phuket can boast warm to hot days all year round. I agree the sea state and rips MUST be highlighted to potential tourists, but I can see little to no reports on this in the advertising blurb....

A European summer shower is a very, very different thing than the rain experienced in Phuket during the rainy season.

NB. It was originally called rainy season for a very good reason.

Edited by Sir Burr

A European summer shower is a very, very different thing than the rain experienced in Phuket during the rainy season.

You are correct, it often rains all day in European summer time. Here in Phuket heavy rain lasts 30 minutes. But I won't labour this any more, SB we will agree to disagree and I'll leave it at that.

Yeah.......right.

More rain in European summer than tropical rainy season. Must tell my friends.

Actually, I agree with LivinInKata on this point - when it rains in summer in England, it's often an overcast, humid, constant drizzle that messes up the whole day.

But in Phuket it's a fast deluge that's over in 30 minutes to an hour, and then it's dry again.

However, I don't like the term "summer" because it does not apply to the seasons in a tropical climate. Phuket has 3 seasons - hot, rainy and cool. To pretend that there is a summer season is wrong. There is no summer, no winter, no spring and no autumn.

Maybe if the slogan was "Come spend your summer is Phuket" it would be more acceptable.

OK, now I will read the web site to see their justification of the term "summer season".

The weather has not been doing the "summer season" any favours.

The farce will unravel when the tourists start drowning at the beaches and the violent muggings that occur continue.

Muggings & drownings occur in tourist spots all over the world. Many years ago I was in Bali during which time they imposed a night time curfew so a vigilante squad could hunt down a serious mugger who had actually killed a couple of tourists in their rooms. I understand that shortly thereafter said mugger found a final resting place buried in the sands along the beach somewhere. The surf in Balia can be big & the rips strong.

On cable TV there are two programmes which follow the daily lives of lifeguards at Bondi beach in Sydney & Piha in Auckland where they often have to rescue people who ignore the safe bathing flags. In Phuket warning signs are put up when the surf is considered dangerous. There are Thai lifeguards along with guys like Diver at Surin & Huggybear at Nai Harn who help out. Some of the lifeguards may not be the best but they have started surf lifesaving carnivals in Phuket & so the standard should improve.

Many years ago the low season was exactly that & many of us living here rejoiced in the fact & drownings, muggings were virtually unheard of. Over the years the low season became more busy & with it came occasional drownings. I realise many tourists leave their common sense at home when they go on holiday but to ignore warning signs is at your own peril.

It is possible for you to post comments on the actual summer website & raise your issues directly as I am sure they are willing to listen to constructive suggestions.