Bittorrent Downloads

bkkmick

Hi

I'm new to all this torrent stuff. I just installed BitTorrent and tried to download 'a file'.

The download speed BitTorrent is reporting is 3.5kB/s with an ETA of 1year!!

I'm using True 4mb connection which is quite fast when downloading program files.

Please don't turn this into a True attack as I'm quite happy with my connection.

Is there a way to speed things up? Using different software or a paid service. I don't mind paying to download a movie.

Thanks

Mick

Guest Reimar

First at all, 99 % of torrents available are prirated and discussion about that is against the Forum Rules.

If you like to download legal movies, just google for: legal movie sites and you will get results which direct you to the legal sites.

Torrent's by any means are slow if just a few seeders and/or peers available.

Best and fastest download is at all times via legal sites.

Cheers.

Ah the wonderful world of torrents :)

You're best opening a port on your adsl modem and forwarding it to your computer, remember allow incoming connections on that port on your personal firewall as well. Another option to use is UPnP and DHT on the torrent client, this somewhat helps with NAT and firewalls. If you don't allow any incoming connections you won't be able to download as fast as many peers will not be able to connect to you.

Make sure your maximum connections per torrent (and maximum connections overall) are set high enough.

On your 4M connection set something like 120 connections max/torrent and global somewhere around 500-600, if you experience slowing of your desktop lower the limits.

To keep a goog interactivity on your line do not put the max download speed to more than 350kb/sec, mileage may vary depending on the wuality of your connection. Limit the uploading bandwidth to max 80% of your upload link speed. This will prevent huge cueues forming on the adsl link which kills interactivity of your line.

Should work like a charm.

Cheers.

Really? You have just contradicted yourself. Torrents can be faster than legal sites with more seeders/peers. Therefore, Reimar, the speeds are equal or greater than legal sites, most of the time, as these sites get movies and shows faster than so called legal sites.

Guest Reimar

Cheers.

Really? You have just contradicted yourself. Torrents can be faster than legal sites with more seeders/peers. Therefore, Reimar, the speeds are equal or greater than legal sites, most of the time, as these sites get movies and shows faster than so called legal sites.

I think you haven't understand: download via torrents means that you download from a bunch of sites with an unstable speed at the same time while downloading from a legal site is just from one site with an stable speed.

If you lucky you can get a download via torrents with a lot available "sites" you maybe get an good speed! But if just a few "sites" available, the speed is slow!

If you download from an legal site like Microsoft for example or an other legal and commercial site you get an great speed and that speed is stable!

I for example download from MS with 400+ kB/s while if using via torrents the max I can ever get is below 200 kB/s average with an max top-speed of 280 kB/s for one program/movie/music or whatsoever!

And as a site note: we are talking from legal downloads here and NOT pirated copies.

I think you haven't understand: download via torrents means that you download from a bunch of sites with an unstable speed at the same time while downloading from a legal site is just from one site with an stable speed.

If you lucky you can get a download via torrents with a lot available "sites" you maybe get an good speed! But if just a few "sites" available, the speed is slow!

If you download from an legal site like Microsoft for example or an other legal and commercial site you get an great speed and that speed is stable!

I for example download from MS with 400+ kB/s while if using via torrents the max I can ever get is below 200 kB/s average with an max top-speed of 280 kB/s for one program/movie/music or whatsoever!

And as a site note: we are talking from legal downloads here and NOT pirated copies.

There are some problems in downloading with only from one site, if you loose your internet connection for a second, no matter what the reason. Using a download manager helps on some occasions, but many times you have to do a bunch of clicks to get a generated download url that is impossible to resume after a disconnection -> have to start the whole download again.

I think most people don't really realize the benefits of torrent, it is amazing technology. In general terms it is far better for all internet users to divide the traffic load among many servers(peers) than just put the load on a single line. The torrent protocol actually spreads the traffic pretty wonderfully taking into account the geographical and network topographic divergensies, it will "naturally" prefer the seeds/peers that will give it best speed and without hash fails. Torrent is also extremely resilient, adhering to the fundamentals of the internet itself, it will keep trying to get the file you want untill the sun dies of old age, naturally someone has to seed it sometime, it can't do miracles :)

There are a number of commerial files available via torrent perfectly legally, these are otherwise digitally protected against illegal use.

_IF_ you put even half decent settings on your torrent client and avoid possible ISP torrent filtering/throttling you are guaranteed to get the maximum speed out of your internet connection.

my $.02

Edited by Nagatus

Guest Reimar
There are some problems in downloading with only from one site, if you loose your internet connection for a second, no matter what the reason. Using a download manager helps on some occasions, but many times you have to do a bunch of clicks to get a generated download url that is impossible to resume after a disconnection -> have to start the whole download again.

Using a good Download Manager helps not in some occasions, it helps in 99% occasions. If the Download Manager tells you that Resume is enabled at the server yopu download from, you will not have any problems.

I think most people don't really realize the benefits of torrent, it is amazing technology. In general terms it is far better for all internet users to divide the traffic load among many servers(peers) than just put the load on a single line. The torrent protocol actually spreads the traffic pretty wonderfully taking into account the geographical and network topographic divergensies, it will "naturally" prefer the seeds/peers that will give it best speed and without hash fails. Torrent is also extremely resilient, adhering to the fundamentals of the internet itself, it will keep trying to get the file you want untill the sun dies of old age, naturally someone has to seed it sometime, it can't do miracles :)

You're right as long as the setup of that computer which "hosting" the data files are correct and it's exactly here where the most problems came from.

There are a number of commerial files available via torrent perfectly legally, these are otherwise digitally protected against illegal use.

Those sites are very limited and even difficult to find. And more difficult to get connected to that sites. The requirements for to get connected to such sites are quite high, and have to be by the way because of legal problems, and most of that sites are not used for the "normal" stuff, they're used for business related stuff.

_IF_ you put even half decent settings on your torrent client and avoid possible ISP torrent filtering/throttling you are guaranteed to get the maximum speed out of your internet connection.

First is because of the ISP is handling the torrent data on which way?! And the second is, how many User's (by percentage) would know how to setup the system to get out the most?

my $.02

And to come back to point of legality: Nearly all (by percentage) torrent's are illegal.

Cheers.

Using a good Download Manager helps not in some occasions, it helps in 99% occasions. If the Download Manager tells you that Resume is enabled at the server yopu download from, you will not have any problems.

It is not a question of server allowing resumes, its about the session related unique download url generated by the server, there are a _lot_ of these sites.

You're right as long as the setup of that computer which "hosting" the data files are correct and it's exactly here where the most problems came from.

Those hosts are not a problem, they will never connect to you just fine, if you just open the port on your computer. If they don't so what? You will get the torrent from some other peer. Seeds are rarely misconfigured.

Those sites are very limited and even difficult to find. And more difficult to get connected to that sites. The requirements for to get connected to such sites are quite high, and have to be by the way because of legal problems, and most of that sites are not used for the "normal" stuff, they're used for business related stuff.

True, OTOH there are plenty of legal torrents around, just google for example "torrent legal movie music", you'll be surprised.

First is because of the ISP is handling the torrent data on which way?! And the second is, how many User's (by percentage) would know how to setup the system to get out the most?

Provided we give helpful information like in this thread to the OT, hopefully most of them.

my $.02

And to come back to point of legality: Nearly all (by percentage) torrent's are illegal.

I don't know about that, but please keep repeating it for a few more times, I am sure it will be true :D

Cheers.

Maybe this is beginning to be a bit too much OT? :D

Edited by Nagatus

Guest Reimar

It is not a question of server allowing resumes, its about the session related unique download url generated by the server, there are a _lot_ of these sites.

Those hosts are not a problem, they will never connect to you just fine, if you just open the port on your computer. If they don't so what? You will get the torrent from some other peer. Seeds are rarely misconfigured.

True, OTOH there are plenty of legal torrents around, just google for example "torrent legal movie music", you'll be surprised.

Provided we give helpful information like in this thread to the OT, hopefully most of them.

my $.02

I don't know about that, but please keep repeating it for a few more times, I am sure it will be true :D

Cheers.

Maybe this is beginning to be a bit too much OT? :D

Seems to you're right!

And as this thread is going the way to explain more an more how to use torrents while it's against the rules to discuss how to download Warez (pirated software pp.) I've to close this thread.

Topic closed.

///CLOSED